Gilmore is now beloved in NE (Yahoo Article)

BigDingus

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, I thought it was funny because it looked like Gilmore miss timed his jump and appeared to be floating for a few seconds.

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I thought it was PI. Used his off-hand as leverage on the receiver.

i'm not bashing gilmore here for the record.  he's a solid cb, i just dont' see how that play made him a hero.  was the timing right though...of course.

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's a good cornerback.

Has anyone noticed in recent history that the Bills (and their fans) have turned on nearly every single player whom they picked high and/or gave a big contract to?  The level of buyer's remorse at OBD is incredible.

Yes.  I was talking to some random Bills fan at a bar who said "I hate those high priced guys.  Dareus, Gilmore, Watkins..I'm glad McDermott is getting rid of all of them!".

There are many of us who resent highly drafted, highly paid players.  Its easy to love the Freddy Jackson's for sure, but I don't get the hate for first rounders*are guys with big contracts.

*Except for Hitner

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Every single piece of analysis related to CB play flies in the face of your assessment, in case you were wondering.

I don't know how to link to the previous board archives, otherwise I'd post the analysis again for those that refuse to believe it.

The arm chair GM believes that when a CB isn't having his name called or getting picks he sucks.

Gilmore doesn't get picks because he is not thrown to that often. He can't catch well but he breaks up passes and is good at that.

The guy is not elite by most meaures but the eye test on the guy shows he rarely makes mistakes.  And when he does it's often to the point of being fatal and due to a double coverage.  In single coverage he is a top 3 man corner in this league week in and week out.

For some reason his double coverage underneath inside is poor

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Glad he's gone. The guy makes 1 big play and gets burned for 5, then tells everyone he's a top 5 CB and wants to get paid like one. He's slightly above average. 

Oh, please.

He's an excellent CB. It hurt to lose him, but Whaley had put this team in cap shackles and they wanted out but quick.

It took Gilmore nearly half the season to fully absorb the Pats system but he's played terrific the second half of the year, same as he did for pretty much his whole career in Buffalo. 

Edited by Thurman#1

31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Every single piece of analysis related to CB play flies in the face of your assessment, in case you were wondering.

I don't know how to link to the previous board archives, otherwise I'd post the analysis again for those that refuse to believe it.

since the secondary is basically removed from the TV action .3 seconds after the snap (for about 99% of fans watching) I'm not sure how one honestly judges DB work unless you just look to justify some dumb opinion to begin with

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, please.

He's an excellent QB. It hurt to lose him, but Whaley had put this team in cap shackles and they wanted out but quick.

It took Gilmore nearly half the season to fully absorb the Pats system but he's played terrific the second half of the year, same as he did for pretty much his whole career in Buffalo. 

I know right... had we traded Tyrod instead of Gilmore, we would be in the Super Bowl with him at QB!

;)

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, a bunch of jilted ex-lovers. We even hate our own guys!! It is an interesting dynamic for sure. 

Gilmore is a good CB. I am glad that the Bills didn’t pay that price. We may have upgraded the position without the investment. It worked out well for the Bills. 

Agreed.  bit maybe just not good enough.  

Hopefully the trend of jettisoning the "not good enough" players continues.  

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, please.

He's an excellent QB.  decent CB  It didn't hurt to lose him, but Whaley had put this team in cap shackles and they wanted out but quick.

A few minor edits.   I think Darby was a better player than Gilmore.  

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

16 Million this year. Pats fans should feel extremely cheated!! Extremely overrated. Glad he’s gone. Both Gaines and White played better than him this year.

Agreed, we already have two corners better than him on our roster. I would like to steal Malcom Butler from them this year. He is under appreciated in New England and a much better corner than Gilmore. 

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, please.

He's an excellent QB. It hurt to lose him, but Whaley had put this team in cap shackles and they wanted out but quick.

Nice to see you bring some facts into this rather than, you know, your opinion.

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well, someone has to think so. Guess it might as well be you. Gilmore was our #1 and everyone knew it.

Of course it hurt to lose Gilmore. Both of them, really. But saving the money helped. At least we're now back in good cap shape but we needed to let some good young players go and they were two. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but it was crazy watching the games yesterday and seeing Gilmore have the game sealing play, and then seeing Jim Schwartz's defense light it up with Nigel Bradham, Corey Graham, and Ronald Darby...  Darby had a pick that was knocked out of his hands and into Graham's hands I believe.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's a good cornerback.

Has anyone noticed in recent history that the Bills (and their fans) have turned on nearly every single player whom they picked high and/or gave a big contract to?  The level of buyer's remorse at OBD is incredible.

Wonder why! 

45 minutes ago, billspro said:

Agreed, we already have two corners better than him on our roster. I would like to steal Malcom Butler from them this year. He is under appreciated in New England and a much better corner than Gilmore. 

Again, oh, please. Tre White is on Gilmore's level. Possibly better, Tre's been terrific. Our others are not.

Gilmore played here with awful safeties and still played well. The young guys now have terrific safeties helping them out. Makes them look good, and makes the backfield look good. 

And he's been graded right up there with or above Butler since coming back from the concussion that seemed to give him time to finally figure out the Pats system once and for all. Just as one quick example, PFF had him graded as the fifth best player at any position in the divisional weekend games. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000906894

Not a big fan of the guy's personality, but he's an excellent player.

44 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Nice to see you bring some facts into this rather than, you know, your opinion.

Says the guy whose contribution to this thread is:  "The guy makes 1 big play and gets burned for 5, then tells everyone he's a top 5 CB and wants to get paid like one. He's slightly above average"? And it's me who should be criticized for not bringing in facts? Jeez.

Edited by Thurman#1

He's a good cornerback.

Agree 100%. It's pretty embarrassing. I get it if he was a POS here but I think since he didn't smile at the draft, some fans decided they would hate him for whatever reason.  He's always been a really good player and he literally did nothing wrong here.

he got paid a ton of money by the best franchise in sports, made a huge play, and now is going to the SB. Also, unlike WR and DT, we didn't a great job replacing him.  It was a win win for everyone and it's sad that some of you are still salty.  

He's a good cornerback.

It's true. But we love the underdog guys like Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson (before he got big) and Lorenzo Alexander. Hell, we LOVED Jerry Hughes until he got the contract, now he's getting tons of hate on these boards. Mario Williams didn't single-handedly get us to the playoffs year one, so he got hated. Then he became a multi-time pro-bowler and a top 25 player, so things got quiet. 

But then Rex came into town, misused his team, then the Mario hate returned with a vengeance. Gilmore, Dareus, Clements, Byrd (before he got the money but when we knew he would), McGahee (because he made jokes about the city), Jason Peters (when we knew he'd command money), etc. Hell, we hate our 1st round picks in general. Lawson, McGahee, Maybin, Losman, Watkins, Dareus, Spiller, Manuel, Gilmore, McKelvin, Whitner, McCargo, Mike Williams... I think the only ones we liked were Lynch and White (for now), and Woods who most are neutral on.

He's good, but just having solid CBs is good enough in today's NFL because the rules are so skewed toward the WR that you could have the greatest CB of all time back there and he is going to get beat and going to take PI or illegal contact penalties.

The real difference between having a solid CB and a superstar huge money CB is not worth it.

40 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Gilmore was much better than Darby last year in Rex's terrible system playing next to awful Ss.  They were a very good cb duo but they did a great job replacing them.

They're talking about Gilmore right now on Dan Leobatard show.

They're calling it the Patriot's special "cornerback levitation" play, where they unleash their super hero corner to defy gravity & stop a perfect throw by Bortles. 

Seriously, they're talking about him defying the laws of gravity, and going nuts describing how amazing the play was.

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Again, oh, please. Tre White is on Gilmore's level. Possibly better, Tre's been terrific. Our others are not.

Gilmore played here with awful safeties and still played well. The young guys now have terrific safeties helping them out. Makes them look good, and makes the backfield look good. 

And he's been graded right up there with or above Butler since coming back from the concussion that seemed to give him time to finally figure out the Pats system once and for all. Just as one quick example, PFF had him graded as the fifth best player at any position in the divisional weekend games. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000906894

Not a big fan of the guy's personality, but he's an excellent player.

Says the guy whose contribution to this thread is:  "The guy makes 1 big play and gets burned for 5, then tells everyone he's a top 5 CB and wants to get paid like one. He's slightly above average"? And it's me who should be criticized for not bringing in facts? Jeez.

I don't think Gilmore is a bad player. EJ Gaines makes just as many plays and is a better fit for our system. If I could choose between Gilmore and Butler I would pick Butler, I think he is a great corner in this league.