MOCK 1.0

Gamache518

1 minute ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I would take a long hard look at recent Carolina drafts, that may give a clue where the Bill's start leaning. If I had to guess DT is going to be  the highest priority.

Its a definite need. But "where" is the question. I for one hope not in the 1st round....unless its Vea

Edited by BuffAlone

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just sayin'............don't be surprised. (I actually detailed why they might in the rest of that post so not sure why you responded in that manner)

You gotta' give up something to get something.

And in truth, if they think a QB is going to be a great player at by far the most important position in the game..........and in the process keep the team in some form of contention for 15-20 years.........any cornerback in the grand scheme is actually a very MINOR  sacrifice even with a pile of picks to boot.

When valuing non-QB personnel, keep in mind that Tre'Davious White was the ONLY Bills first round pick on the field in that playoff game.

They have almost nothing at all to show for nearly 2 decades of using the first round pick to patch holes rather than ever just be all-in on one QB.

In fact, they haven't EVER been all-in on a QB on draft day.

57 years they've never selected one with their first pick or traded up from that pick to get one.   Not once. :lol:  

Sure you have to give up something to get something but it just sounds outlandish.  McDermott was the one who actually pulled the trigger on Tre White even though Whaley was the one who turned in the card.  He fits McD player DNA through and through.  I just don't see that happening at all.  Just sounds like a message board dream rather than something that Beane and McD would do.  Secondly, the post acts like McD didn't learn anything from the Panthers fumbling on Josh Norman.  It would suggest McD thinks the defense will be just fine when he was just in a situation in which their secondary fell to the bottom of the damn league.  Just seems to suggest that McD is dumb rather than smart.  I have confidence that he's the latter and not the former.

16 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I would take a long hard look at recent Carolina drafts, that may give a clue where the Bill's start leaning. If I had to guess DT is going to be  the highest priority.

Trenches for sure.

Edited by NewEraBills

I think Mayfield will end up being well worth whatever it takes to move up for him. The only real question for me is his height, which I think will be answered by just looking at his game tape. He makes it work. 

Consider Russell Wilson's draft profile. I would hate not to go for Mayfield, whose name I think could easily replace Wilson's below:

But teams will have concerns whether Wilson can see over the pocket to make the throws at the next level. He is a mechanical mover who has strong technique and leadership qualities. If Wilson were three inches taller, there would be debate at the top of the draft as to where he fits. 

That, for a guy who was a complete gamer, but measured in at 5'11". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

And to think we could have had Watson last year, not having to give up anything...

Well he's not in the Pro Bowl yet---he looked good in limited play last year but let's see what a whole years work looks like.

So, I love doing drafts as well. Here was one I just ran (Note: I don't bother with trades up or down, because who the hell knows- I also would really like Teddy Bridgewater for QB, i hear all this negative stuff about him... The guy went 11-5 and was clearly improving - I could not get a good QB with the way the draft played out, so I went with a sleeper)

21: R1P21  
DL MAURICE HURST
MICHIGAN

22: R1P22  
LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH

53: R2P21  
OT JAMARCO JONES
OHIO STATE

56: R2P24  
WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M

95: R3P31  
RB NICK CHUBB
GEORGIA

123: R4P21  
QB KYLE LAULETTA
RICHMOND

160: R5P21  
EDGE MARCELL FRAZIER
MISSOURI

168: R5P29  
G BRADEN SMITH
AUBURN

10 hours ago, Gamache518 said:

Mock drafts do get me a bit excited because it is something to look forward to during the off season, but of course they will change from time to time with dealing with Free agency and so forth but I did compile my first mock and would love to get some feedback.

1A. - ROQUAN SMITH, LB Georgia ( TRADE!!! 1(21), (2), (4), Future 2019 pick ) 

1B. - DA'RON PAYNE, DT Alabama

2. - MASON RUDOLPH, QB Oklahoma ( TRADE!!! (2), (5), (5) )

3. - WILL HERNANDEZ, G UTEP

4. -  DESMOND HARRISON, OT West Georgia

Love it...although I definitely do not think Roquan will last to 21.

My Mock, starting with FA:

Star Lotulelei signed in FA to fill the hole at DT and signed Mike Wallace to be another vet for Zay and our young QB to work with but can still stretch the D with speed.

Draft:

1A - Rashaan Evans - LB

1B - Mike McGlitchey - OT

Late First/Early 2nd - Lamar or Mason:  Bills trade up packaging one of our 2nds, our 3rd and 5th)

2 - Will Hernandez - OG

4 - Sony Michel or Rashaad Penny - RB

6 - Bo Scaborough - RB

7 - DB/WR who also has ST or KR/PR abilities.

McD gets his LB to anchor the D and we shore up help on the OL at Tackle and Guard, plus get a potential heir to McCoy.  We steal Bo in the 6th who falls because of injury issues, but he won't need to be a feature here and more like a change pace guy in the mold of a Derrick Henry to replace Fat Tolbert.  

I would do back flips with this draft.

Edited by Alphadawg7

12 hours ago, Gamache518 said:

Mock drafts do get me a bit excited because it is something to look forward to during the off season, but of course they will change from time to time with dealing with Free agency and so forth but I did compile my first mock and would love to get some feedback.

1A. - ROQUAN SMITH, LB Georgia ( TRADE!!! 1(21), (2), (4), Future 2019 pick ) 

1B. - DA'RON PAYNE, DT Alabama

2. - MASON RUDOLPH, QB Oklahoma ( TRADE!!! (2), (5), (5) )

3. - WILL HERNANDEZ, G UTEP

4. -  DESMOND HARRISON, OT West Georgia

Love this mock. Big Rudolph fan even though others are skeptical.  We address DT+ LB+QB+OL. But even with Mason we'll need A Smith to mentor him for 2 years. Keep Peterman as QB3. 

18 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Two 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 5th is as far as I would go for Mayfield...

Now, for Darnold? I would do the same, except I would be willing to throw in the 2019 1st rounder as well.

Why would you give up more for Darnold?  Do you like turnovers?  Is it the illustrious history of USC QBs in the NFL?  His awful windup?  I don’t understand the attraction. I would be unhapppy if the Bills stayed put and took him at 21.

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'll be the first to put this out there:

If the Bills are determined to move up in the draft for Darnold or Allen..... I can see them trading Tre'Davious White with a package of picks to help get up there.

If Indy or Cleveland is looking at Minkah Fitzpatrick in the top 4.....as has been mocked.......White is a more proven commodity at the higher dollar position of the two that Fitzpatrick is projecting to.    

Seems like blasphemy...........and as I make sure to constantly remind people I was the only one on TSW who had White rated as the best CB in the draft last year......so I'm clearly a fan............but here it is:

1. Getting a franchise QB should be the top priority

2. The Bills might actually trust their ability to find zone corners in the draft and FA and want to conserve picks for other positions.

3. He wasn't a Beane draft pick

It seems to me that the value at picks 20-21 will be defense......but I could actually see the Bills trying to load up offensively in the draft for Tyrod or another bridge QB with the idea in mind that a Darnold could step in late in 2018 and start in 2019..........and buying talent in FA like Bradham and Quinn to stock the front 7.

I like your thinking.  I could see it being McCoy, though, and to Denver.  Elway might be tired of drafting project QBs and likely has his sights focused on Cousins, Smith, or Tyrod this offseason, and perhaps in that order.  He might well think that if he can sign a competent veteran QB and swing a trade for a dynamic running back like McCoy, his roster is good enough to compete for the SB (and I'd agree).  If so he wouldn't mind sliding down into the 20s where he can draft his biggest non-QB need (interior OL) without wasting a premium pick.

And from McBeane's perspective, while I certainly wouldn't rule out your idea (it would be similar to the Bills unloading Kiko when they did), I suspect they'd rather dump some salary if they're going to be swinging a trade like that...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

19 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I think you're on to something there. Hadn't thought about it before. Of course wasn't Cam already in place before our current regime had a say in it? QB will be the turning point.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think you're on to something there. Hadn't thought about it before. Of course wasn't Cam already in place before our current regime had a say in it? QB will be the turning point.

Beane was the director of football operations when they selected Cam. McDermott was not in place yet though.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Why would you give up more for Darnold?  Do you like turnovers?  Is it the illustrious history of USC QBs in the NFL?  His awful windup?  I don’t understand the attraction. I would be unhapppy if the Bills stayed put and took him at 21.

Just because I think to get Darnold we would have to trade up to #1...whereas to get Mayfield I think we would have to trade up to #3.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:59 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

I like your thinking.  I could see it being McCoy, though, and to Denver.  Elway might be tired of drafting project QBs and likely has his sights focused on Cousins, Smith, or Tyrod this offseason, and perhaps in that order.  He might well think that if he can sign a competent veteran QB and swing a trade for a dynamic running back like McCoy, his roster is good enough to compete for the SB (and I'd agree).  If so he wouldn't mind sliding down into the 20s where he can draft his biggest non-QB need (interior OL) without wasting a premium pick.

And from McBeane's perspective, while I certainly wouldn't rule out your idea (it would be similar to the Bills unloading Kiko when they did), I suspect they'd rather dump some salary if they're going to be swinging a trade like that...

Yeah I could see that but I just don't think McCoy has more than late 3rd round trade value.....which only moves you a couple spots at most on the draft board.   That might even be optimistic, it could be less.  He'd be kind of a throw in.  He'll be 30 coming off of a high mileage 4.0 ypc season and has a high cap #.

Tre White is probably still worth the same value as the pick he was selected at IMO......so much more ammo.

I suspect it takes 3 first rounders at least to get up in the top 5.......with White being one in that equation.

If the Browns are looking at Fitzpatrick at #4,   then White makes a lot of sense.   And they might also be willing to take a #1 next year to spread out their future contract issues.....leaving the Bills with still one more first this year.    

The Browns have an absurd amount of high ceiling players as it is they really need quality at this point and White provides that while the other picks just amount to quantity until proven otherwise.  

It won't look like a good value deal on the surface but really none of McD's moves have been great value, IMO......NOBODY would send those players(Watkins/Dareus) or picks(Benjamin) back for what they gave the Bills.......so I wouldn't put it past them to risk looking foolish.

They've already done it and came out smellin' okeedokee on accounta' Jauron Balling their way into a wildcard.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ