Best sub or hoagy ever

Kelly the Dog

perhaps 'twas you who wasn't as drunk as you were in the 90's that caused the lesser enjoyment

27 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I went to Oswego State.  The cheeseburger sub from the Oswego Sub Shop might just be the perfect food.  I can't count how many we drunkenly ordered, usually around 3:00am.  Although I went back a couple years ago and the cheeseburger sub wasn't as good as in the 90s.

54 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I went to Oswego State.  The cheeseburger sub from the Oswego Sub Shop might just be the perfect food.  I can't count how many we drunkenly ordered, usually around 3:00am.  Although I went back a couple years ago and the cheeseburger sub wasn't as good as in the 90s.

I went to Oswego for grad school l (04-07), and I hit up the sub shop just about every night after the bar.  The cheeseburger sub was very good, but I also used to get the mixed Italian a lot.  They had this homemade spicy pepper relish that was just unreal.  I miss that place.  

Rudy’s was another one of my go-to spots.  Best fried fish sandwich and ice cold beer.  So good.

48 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

perhaps 'twas you who wasn't as drunk as you were in the 90's that caused the lesser enjoyment

That is a solid possibility!

18 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I went to Oswego for grad school l (04-07), and I hit up the sub shop just about every night after the bar.  The cheeseburger sub was very good, but I also used to get the mixed Italian a lot.  They had this homemade spicy pepper relish that was just unreal.  I miss that place.  

Rudy’s was another one of my go-to spots.  Best fried fish sandwich and ice cold beer.  So good.

Rudy's was great.  I don't think I ever ate anything there that wasn't deep fried!  They had it down to a science.  Very fun atmosphere and right on the shore.    Oswego was a fun place, especially in the mid to late 90s.  I heard it got much more difficult to throw house parties and get into bars underage.

• Haha (+1) 1

The best sub I ever had was in Honolulu, believed it or not, at a little joint near the airport called HI Subs. I travel there occasionally for work. And I always get a HI Sub at least once.

They are HUGE and very fresh. A full sub is 18 inches long and the diameter of a small folders can. I order a half sub and get two meals out of it. This special sauce is kind of a mild creamy Italian with a hint of mango - it is the bomb!

This place is probably the best price value on the island too. A full size sub (meal for 2-3) is around $10.00. 

If you are ever in Hono, check out HI Subs. You won't be dissapointed!

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Had one in Hawaii.  Ham, bacon, Maui onions, pineapple, sweet peppers, avocado slices, taro leaf and a cheese with handmade bread toasted twice - once just the bread and the second time to melt the cheese and crisp the bacon/ham/pineapples/onions.

My son would order pizza with ham, pineapple, grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, jalapeños and everything else on the menu. At some point it ceased being “pizza”, but he liked it. Maybe because he enjoyed the ridicule I gave he. He had a great sensed of humor! 

• Like (+1) 1

Arlington Texas really isn't known for good sub shops. However there was a good one near the house.  Dino's.  Should you come down for The Draft in April check it out. It's a short drive of 5 miles south of AT&T Stadium.

I've been fortunate to have a sub from Primant's on one of the trips to see the Bills play Miami.

Locally  here in Granbury, I have a Firehouse, Jimmy John's,Schlotzkys and the usual Subway.  I prefer The Bootlegger from Jimmy John's on their wheat with everything they have on it.

Edited by CowgirlsFan

In Jamestown, there used to be a mom & pop grocery store - Rigoli's - who made the absolute best subs I've ever had. Delicious and filling, at a reasonable price. They were made to order, and a lot of people would call in an order in the morning for a lunchtime pickup.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

In Jamestown, there used to be a mom & pop grocery store - Rigoli's - who made the absolute best subs I've ever had. Delicious and filling, at a reasonable price. They were made to order, and a lot of people would call in an order in the morning for a lunchtime pickup.

There was and maybe still is one like that in the Green Acres area of Tonawanda on Niagara Falls Blvd near the freeway entrance called Mayback's. They had amazing huge subs back in the day.

• Like (+1) 1

We've got this place in town that's been around since the 70's...........Big John Subs.

Without a doubt, they are and have always been the best subs around. I'm talking that nothing even comes close.

Unfortunately, Big John's has sold to an Oriental guy.

Big John's is now called Big Wong's.......and the subs are subpar at best,

True story.

55 minutes ago, Sweats said:

We've got this place in town that's been around since the 70's...........Big John Subs.

Without a doubt, they are and have always been the best subs around. I'm talking that nothing even comes close.

Unfortunately, Big John's has sold to an Oriental guy.

Big John's is now called Big Wong's.......and the subs are subpar at best,

True story.

Betcha there are no pesky cats in the back alley anymore.  That's a good thing!

Substituting cream of sum-young guy for mayo, that's a bad thing! Unless, of course one is into that.  You never know nowadays...:ph34r:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

What if you put a hot dog between two soft pretzels?

Sounds kinky.

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I think you're employing pretzel logic here to validate your flawed hot dog position.

Maybe you’re logic is flawed, Stewie.  A sandwich is a filling between 2 slices of bread.  Everything else is a variation of a sandwich (e.g., hot dog, sub, hoagie, grinder, wrap, etc...).  

57 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sounds kinky.

Maybe you’re logic is flawed, Stewie.  A sandwich is a filling between 2 slices of bread.  Everything else is a variation of a sandwich (e.g., hot dog, sub, hoagie, grinder, wrap, etc...).  

Variations of sandwiches are still sandwiches.

Don't get me started!  Are the Great Lakes in the MidWest or is the or are the Great Lakes its own region.

FWIW... It's a sub-region and portions are part of the MidWest.

:P

Same with a hot dog... Sub group of sandwich.

A "combo" in Chicago is an Italian sausage and Italian Beef in one sandwich.  The sausage is not patty form but a link.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Well, if you subscribe to @joesixpack‘s any variation of a sandwich is a sandwich logic.  Then, maybe a Taco is a sandwich?

:wacko:

In no way shape or form is a taco a sandwich. A tortilla isn't bread.

A mexican sandwich is called a torta.

Don't be obtuse, @Johnny Hammersticks!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

In no way shape or form is a taco a sandwich. A tortilla isn't bread.

A mexican sandwich is called a torta.

Don't be obtuse, @Johnny Hammersticks!

How about a four tortilla?  Made with the same ingredients as bread, correct?  Or at least very similar ingredients.  

Don’t be acute isosceles, @joesixpack

:nana:

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How about a four tortilla?  Made with the same ingredients as bread, correct?  Or at least very similar ingredients.  

Now you're just being difficult, hammersticks. Both you and I (and even Rubeo) know that a tortilla isn't bread. Flour or not.

:angry:

Edited by joesixpack

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Four Tortilla's is the equivalent of bread using the Pardino bread chart.