Jackson, Rudolph or Pass

Rudolph, Jackson or Neither  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

People saying Jackson needs to find another position are delusional. He has excellent pocket awareness, knows how and when to step up, has a big arm, sees the field, can read a defence and can absolutely go through progressions. He threw for like 3,700 yards last year while running for 1600.. As has been mentioned, adjusted for drops his comp % is higher than Darnold's. He's the #1 prospect IMO and 100% a QB.

He has a mechanical issue pushing off his front rather than his back foot that causes his ball to sail at times. But that's it and it will be corrected. It's not the kind of flaw that's hard to iron out. Darnold's throwing motion definitely is hard to correct and is much more serious. They tried unsuccessfully to coach it out of him. It's a big problem. 

Kiper and Cowerd don't have Jackson in their first round mock. That's ludicrous. He is more likely to be the first player off the board than to he is to drop out of round #1.

Good post. I agree with your assessment of him that he has exhibited the traits necessary to be a pro qb. It's a question whether he can work on the details of his mechanics so that they will be more consistent and natural when he plays . His improvement over the past two years is evident. He is moving from one side of the spectrum of being an athletic qb to the other side of the specturm of being a more refined qb. He's certainly has a way to go but his trajectory is upwards. 

There are qbs in this draft who will be more ready to play sooner. But that is not to say that although he has a unique style of play in a few years he will be as effective as any qb in this draft class. 

I chose Jackson. All of these guys are boom or bust. His upside is higher than Rudolph. Last year, watching Jackson I thought he was likely never to be good enough to be an NFL QB even though he was the best player in college. This year, he made a quantum leap. He wasn't even the best player in college, Mayfield was, but if he makes the same type of leap this year's off season as he did last year, he will have a very good chance of being a solid NFL starter if not star. He's got tremendous talent.

I don't know anything about Rudolph, so I checked out his 2017 highlight reel. Of course it's only highlights, but some of the throws there were really quite good, and I didn't see anything to suggest he doesn't have a strong arm. But that's all I've seen of him.

20 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I don't know anything about Rudolph, so I checked out his 2017 highlight reel. Of course it's only highlights, but some of the throws there were really quite good, and I didn't see anything to suggest he doesn't have a strong arm. But that's all I've seen of him.

I'm a huge proponent of arm strength being essential. Maybe more than anyone here. I watched Rudolph several times this year and I don't think arm strength is an issue at all. He can make every throw. Not a cannon of course, but I don't personally think it's an issue and I would be the first to worry about that.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Rubes said:

He does have a strong arm and he actually throws the deep ball very well. It wouldn't surprise me if his velo is around 55 at the combine. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm a huge proponent of arm strength being essential. Maybe more than anyone here. I watched Rudolph several times this year and I don't think arm strength is an issue at all. He can make every throw. Not a cannon of course, but I don't personally think it's an issue and I would be the first to worry about that.

Another thing I noticed (from the highlight reel, of course), is that he seems to do a really nice job when under pressure, always looking for the open receiver and eventually finding him. Doesn't seem to have a quick trigger to run...but when he does, he actually moves reasonably well.

Comes down to how hard of a worker Jackson is.  His biggest comparison is to Vick.  If he has that ability but is a worker you are onto something.  Its rare that someone with that talent will also be the hardest worker.  Maybe Buffalo gets him at 21 and he plays the rest of his career with that Randy Moss sized chip on his shoulder.  Again imo if they passed on Watson idk how high they woukd be on him.

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Comes down to how hard of a worker Jackson is.  His biggest comparison is to Vick.  If he has that ability but is a worker you are onto something.  Its rare that someone with that talent will also be the hardest worker.  Maybe Buffalo gets him at 21 and he plays the rest of his career with that Randy Moss sized chip on his shoulder.  Again imo if they passed on Watson idk how high they woukd be on him.

Watson and Jackson aren’t really alike (outside of their complexion). I’m not sure what one has to do with the other?

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Another thing I noticed (from the highlight reel, of course), is that he seems to do a really nice job when under pressure, always looking for the open receiver and eventually finding him. Doesn't seem to have a quick trigger to run...but when he does, he actually moves reasonably well.

Yeah I liked what I saw for the most part. Had a lot of great throws. His WR bailed him out a ton though. I think he's a 15-20 guy but he could fall.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Watson and Jackson aren’t really alike (outside of their complexion). I’m not sure what one has to do with the other?

Athletic, prolific passers from spread offenses.  Both less than ideal size.  Seems to me if you are not sold on Watson you are less sold on Jackson.  Jackson is the better runner, Watson was the more refined passer.  

Edited by Mat68

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Athletic, prolific passers from spread offenses.  Both less than ideal size.  Seems to me if you are not sold on Watson you are less sold on Jackson.  

Jackson is much more athletic (not that Watson isn't), has a cannon arm, loves to run, often erratic. Watson is the opposite. Consistent. Doesn't look to run. Accurate. Both are good leaders. Watson's intangibles are off the charts.

11 hours ago, joesixpack said:

No im not a fan of baker. Short small hands and mobile. The unholy trinity 

i am not delighted with either , Based upon all i have read here.
 especially since we have nothing on board to say Bills can develop a QB from that type of College game.
So much about a pocket passer beginning with Dennison and Beanes.
Thats what they wanted. Has the mindset changed with Daboll ?

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

People saying Jackson needs to find another position are delusional. He has excellent pocket awareness, knows how and when to step up, has a big arm, sees the field, can read a defence and can absolutely go through progressions. He threw for like 3,700 yards last year while running for 1600.. As has been mentioned, adjusted for drops his comp % is higher than Darnold's. He's the #1 prospect IMO and 100% a QB.

He has a mechanical issue pushing off his front rather than his back foot that causes his ball to sail at times. But that's it and it will be corrected. It's not the kind of flaw that's hard to iron out. Darnold's throwing motion definitely is hard to correct and is much more serious. They tried unsuccessfully to coach it out of him. It's a big problem. 

Kiper and Cowerd don't have Jackson in their first round mock. That's ludicrous. He is more likely to be the first player off the board than to he is to drop out of round #1.

Bill Polian just lambasted Jackson. Says basically he's Terrell Pryor!!

Does anyone on here follow prospects from Highschool? I mean, a GM has those people available to him. You should always be looking at prospects years out, and be predicting players in the next 5 years (at least) worth of drafts.