Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I didn't realize we had already played a full season under him and averaged that same amount, my apology.

Uninformed pessimism is lazy and it gets pretty old. The guy just won a national championship in his last year of work. How about we actually learn a bit about the guy and see him coach before loudly complaining about someone who you admittedly don't know anything about. 

...just won a national title and spent several years with the mad scientist. And he's under 45. I'm easily pleased. And most important he's not Denny.....now lets go find him a qb??

• Like (+1) 2

The more I read about Deboll the more I find it fascinating that great coaches (Saban and Belllicheat) have hired this guy in the past until he moved on THEN hired him back after those stints. It tells me that they find something special in him to want him back and usually in a bigger capacity.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

The more I read about Deboll the more I find it fascinating that great coaches (Saban and Belllicheat) have hired this guy in the past until he moved on THEN hired him back after those stints. It tells me that they find something special in him to want him back and usually in a bigger capacity.

That’s one of looking at it, I’m more concerned that he keeps finding his way back to them. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

6 hours ago, fridge said:

A franchise QB solves all problems, but for reference his NFL OC history is atrocious. He finished in the bottom 4 in total offense 3 of 4 years:

2009 Cleveland Browns - 29th ranked offense

2010 Cleveland Browns - 31st ranked offense

2011 Miami Dolphins - 20th ranked offense

2012 Kansas City Chiefs - 32nd ranked offense

Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson were his QBs in 2009, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomee and Seneca Wallace in 2010, Matt Moore was his starter in 2011 with Henne as the backup. And in 2012, Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn again split the games about equally.

Not surprised at his lack of success. I'd have to go way further to figure out what kind of plays and offense he was running to come up with a definitive opinion for myself, but those are some bad QBs indeed.

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

That’s one of looking at it, I’m more concerned that he keeps finding his way back to them. 

Looks like he followed past Bellicheat disciples into a terrrible non-Brady QB situations. Here is to hoping he gains an amazing QB one in Buffalo!!

He's one of us....Brian Daboll is one of us.....he grew up a fan of this team.  He went to school with a Polian....This is not just some run of the mill hire.  This is a kid who has been to games as a fan; probably had a beer when less than legal-age at the Big Tree, tailgated with the masses.   He knows our pain because he feels it.  He even helped deliver some of it the last few years.  No one will be more motivated to win and win big....:D:wub:

If he ends up sucking it won't be because he doesn't care; he is just collecting a paycheck or because he bamboozled the Pegulas....hell he probably ran around his house like we all did when Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd.  Let's cut him some slack for a bit.  He's a brother.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

RANKINGS

Here are the offensive rankings of Daboll’s units while a coordinator for four years in the NFL.  Each rank is out of 32 NFL teams:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-14%20at%209.23.2

So we should expect to have somewhere between the 28th and 32nd most passing attempts. I can’t stress enough how little I agree with this “offensive philosophy”.

Edited by fridge

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

He's one of us....Brian Daboll is one of us.....he grew up a fan of this team.  He went to school with a Polian....This is not just some run of the mill hire.  This is a kid who has been to games as a fan; probably had a beer when less than legal-age at the Big Tree, tailgated with the masses.   He knows our pain because he feels it.  He even helped deliver some of it the last few years.  No one will be more motivated to win and win big....:D:wub:

If he ends up sucking it won't be because he doesn't care; he is just collecting a paycheck or because he bamboozled the Pegulas....hell he probably ran around his house like we all did when Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd.  Let's cut him some slack for a bit.  He's a brother.

I like this, thanks for shifting the way I looked at this hire just a bit

2 minutes ago, fridge said:

So we should expect to have somewhere between the 28th and 32nd most passing attempts. I can’t stress enough how little I agree with this “offensive philosophy”.

Just stop. For the love of god just please stop. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fridge said:

Can you kindly look at the big picture surrounding those teams?

7 minutes ago, fridge said:

As time has gone on has the NFL not become less of a run league and more of a passing league?  So if he has been away from the NFL for a while would it not make sense that he would adapt his offensive philosophy to modern NFL if he is a guy that adapts to his takent and innovative which has been said about him more then a few times?

Im not defending the hire...im not bagging on t he hire....I think we need to wait and see

• Like (+1) 1

well, I have a wish list for the new offensive coordinator of the Bills........

1. I wish he will scheme to the strengths of the roster and not try to fit the roster to a specific ill suited scheme

2, may said OC also be smart enough to make adjustments at halftime to counteract what the defenses are doing to stop Buffalos' offense

3. PLEASE DON'T SUCK.

:-D muppy~

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I took the advice of Hapless and looked up Grantland's Erhardt-Perkins article.  It was very informative.  Here is the link for anyone who is interested.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

These are good reads all! Thanks Hapless, Colorado, and TigerJ!

Running an offensive system that is easier to call and read for the QB can only help whoever is behind center next year, especially if it is a rookie.

46 minutes ago, SDS said:

I did as well.  I found this side tidbit equally as interesting with respect to Rex Ryan and difficulties here:

Like NFL offenses, in recent years NFL defenses have also become too wordy, relying on long-winded calls designating scheme and technique and impractical checks. With the speed at which New England operates, the message for defenses has become clear: fix your terminology or perish.”

I thought the same thing when I read that SDS.

I also thought about the K-gun when they were talking about it being easier to run the no huddle or up tempo out of it due to its simplicity of calling/remembering it. Stands to reason why Brady is so good at the end of half and end of game situations, as they get into hurry up mode.