At what point do we say Antonio Brown is the GOAT?

Process

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Does receiving TDs count as a WR category?

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

My bad.  He's 2nd.  TO is 3rd by one TD.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Total TDs WEO.  And 8th in receptions versus 15.  And 2nd in yards to 4th. 

It's 156 to 153 "receiving TDs", which is what we are talking about doc see above.  Are you really tossing in a few running TDs to cover your boner?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

It's 156 to 153 "receiving TDs", which is what we are talking about doc see above.  Are you really tossing in a few running TDs to cover your boner?

Even if you were to (conveniently, for your sake) ignore the non-receiving TD's, he still beats him in yards and receptions.  Sorry, you lose. 

This argument is a bit silly. Clearly Jerry Rice has had the greatest career of any receiver.  He was also blessed with Joe Montana and Steve Young. The cards were stacked in his favor. 

I would rather ask the question this way:

Given the Hall of Fame quarterback of your choice which receiver would you rather have for one year at the peak of their career? 

Sorry Jerry, I’d take Moss. Possibly Johnson after him. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This argument is a bit silly. Clearly Jerry Rice has had the greatest career of any receiver.  He was also blessed with Joe Montana and Steve Young. The cards were stacked in his favor. 

I would rather ask the question this way:

Given the Hall of Fame quarterback of your choice which receiver would you rather have for one year at the peak of their career? 

Sorry Jerry, I’d take Moss. Possibly Johnson after him. 

Yep. I would probably take Bruce. 

I was looking at Steve Smith's career. 8th on the list, I believe, but saddled with Rodney Peete, Chris Weinke, Jake Delhomme...it's a miracle he had that kind of success.

10 time all pro.  10  not 5 seasons.  Brown doesnt score tds like rice or have his yards per catch like prime rice.  Rice has the most ridiculous records.  Even now in a pass happy league rices numbers are still unobtainable.

What Brown does on the football field merits being in the conversation.  He IS that good. When I watch him play, I see the best wr I’ve ever seen.  Just like when I watched Adrian Peterson run in his prime.  The best I’ve ever seen.  I’m not saying they’re the best ever.  Just when I watch them play, they’re more impressive than anyone I’ve seen.  

When looking at GOAT I tend to put someone who dominated the league for a few years above a guy who compiled stats by being good for a lot of years but with a lower peak.

Rice did both. He did it with two hall of fame QBs, but he also did it when the rules were a lot harder on WRs.

TO and Moss both had longevity and periods of absolute dominance, with some good but not elite seasons sprinkled in. Both played with good and not so good QBs at points in their careers.

Calvin Johnson and Antonio Brown have the most impressive 5 year stretches statistically, but both play in a WR friendly era with high output QBs.

Who's the greatest? It's hard to go wrong with Rice, but depending on your criteria I think you could make an argument for any of them.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Brown is a great wide receiver, but he'd need to keep up his average production to date for another 10-1/2 years just to  match the real GOAT's production in yards. Never mind touchdowns.

That's if he were to average like 1100-1200 yards per year, which might be selling him short.  He's averaged about 1560 yards per season over the last 5 seasons (!) and had a legitimate shot at 2000 this year before he got hurt.  It's a long shot for sure, but if he goes nuts for the next five years as well then he's definitely in the conversation.

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

That's if he were to average like 1100-1200 yards per year, which might be selling him short.  He's averaged about 1560 yards per season over the last 5 seasons (!) and had a legitimate shot at 2000 this year before he got hurt.  It's a long shot for sure, but if he goes nuts for the next five years as well then he's definitely in the conversation.

The question is who is going to be his QB the next five  years? 

He's not the greatest yet but I'm kind of surprised by how many people are dismissing this.  It's really not a completely ridiculous opinion.  His last five years has got to be one of the best stretches in history statistically speaking, and Rice didn't even really start going bonkers until his early 30's.  Brown's putting together a special career right now.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Nope.  Had the potential but pissed it away.

Randy Moss is the greatest talent of all time. Which is much different than GOAT.

Moss is 2 on the list. If he didn’t basically quit playing football while with Oakland, while still getting on the field on game day, he would be the GOAT. 

But he didn’t, so he’s not. 

Agreed