Per Buffalo Fanatics, Bills actively looking to trade Shaq Lawson

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Might as well try to get something for a bust that has contributed absolutely nothing.

Lawson is the forgotten man for a reason. In fact, when I hear the name Lawson, I think of Manny and wonder why they are mentioning him since he no longer plays for our team.

Ha. I’ve done that myself. 

9 minutes ago, QCity said:

He doesn't even play 50% of the snaps. He's a 2-down LB on a rotation. It was a great move shipping him out. You don't get faster after blowing out your knee.

Moving Lawson isn't creating a hole, he is the hole. If anyone wants to know why our pass rush is so anemic, the first place they should look is the DE position. 

If Shaq was a 5th round pick there would be daily threads on how the front office failed to address the DE position, and how we now have to use a 1st on a pass rusher. But because he's a 1st round pick we have to cling to him? I don't know what you see when you watch him play, but I don't see a quick first step, I don't see much explosiveness, and I sure as hell don't see his side of the pocket collapsing on passing downs. It's not like he's drawing double teams, either.

Yes. Like I said, I want to see who they replace him with. I’m guessing it will be an upgrade. The pass rush was non-existent. Find someone who can stop the run and rush the passer. That is the job of a DE. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Might as well try to get something for a bust that has contributed absolutely nothing.

Lawson is the forgotten man for a reason. In fact, when I hear the name Lawson, I think of Manny and wonder why they are mentioning him since he no longer plays for our team.

I think Manny applied more pressure on rushing the QB here than Shaq.

2 hours ago, wiskibreth said:

I think it's too soon, and his trade value is likely too low to be worth it.  I just don;t think the kid's had enough time.  He's got the tools, COACH him up.

Yes! 

He's only had 1 off-season, he definitely has been disappointing but he's not a bum and there is definitely a role for him on the team. Whatever we got wouldn't be worth it, he's a football guy, trains hard, he can get coached up , he's shown flashes , let's give him more than 20 games before writing him off!

Not a fan of this idea.  Given that it doesn't seem like we get much (any?) cap savings (and would have to pay Shaq's replacement) I'm not really excited about trading him for a late round pick.  I'd rather the Bills keep him even if it's only as a situational DE.

Can someone please explain what the exact cap implications of a trade would be?  Spotrac says his entire salary is guaranteed but it seems incorrect that Buffalo would be on the hook for his entire salary and the team they trade him to wouldn't have to pay him anything?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good, it's the right move. Injury prone with very little pass rush abilities. Him and Ragland both failed picks by foot fetish. Hopefully we can find a team that needs a run stopping DE.

Thank someone for putting the onus where it belongs. Whaley got what his coaches wanted. And that was dumb but he did. it wasnt his evaluation per se. 

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Shaq Lawson had the same number of sacks and only 10 fewer tackles in fewer games compared to Jerry Hughes.  Who was a better value?

Did you watch any games this year? Hughes had a much greater impact on  games, and of course Hughes played twice as many. Asking a value question between the 2 is not too bright. 

I question who their source would be.  Like;y it is same source as La Conjecture (imagination).

His agent? Only if they told his agent he could shop for a new team.

A team they talked to? Not sure this is legal yet.

A member of front office? If so they need to find leak and fire his/her ass.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wouldn’t sell low on him. I don’t know that he will ever be a top end guy but I think that he can be an 8 sack guy that’s good against the run. There’s no reason to open another hole.

I agree. On one hand I like the aggressiveness. On the other hand it feels like we are shooting our selves in the foot. Fingers crossed with our new scouting department and GM on their first draft ever. A lot of capital, but a lot of self made holes that need to be filled. Which means we need to hit much more than we miss. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Not terribly surprising, but by god we've got to draft better.

I don’t really like this line of thinking. “Bills cut/traded him, he sucks. Do better” 

Most of the guys we cut/traded in the last year are starters on playoff teams. It’s not like they leave and are rotational/cut again. 

Sammy looking at being franchised.

Woods had a good year.

Darby is playing very well and starting. 

Goodwin had a career year. 

Ragland started in the playoffs. 

Cap implications taken into consideration (no Sammy) the Bills would have been a better team this year with Darby, Goodwin, Woods, Ragland, and Seymour on the roster. 

This is a really big draft for this FO. We also haven’t done a great job grabbing FA’s with the new FO. (Poyer and Hyde was the previous FO) 

This doesn't really pass the smell test. McDermott's defensive ends have always been on the bigger side. Charles Johnson, Mario Addison, Kony Ealy, Greg Hardy, even going back to Philly and Trent Cole, Brandon Graham. All in that 6-3, 265-270 range. Shaq is a good fit, cheap, and played well when he was in there. 

• Like (+1) 1