How do Bills Avoid Sophmore Regression that plagues AFC EAST?

New York’s Jets

2015 - 10-6 2nd place AFC East. Missed PO.

2016- 5-11 4th place AFC East. Missed PO.

Miami Dolphins

2016 - 10-6 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.

2017 - 6-10 3rd Palce AFC East.  Missed PO.

Buffalo Bills

2017 - 9-7 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.

2018 - ????????

All first year head coaches too that followed up with less than stellar returns on the sophomore season.

what is the solution to avoid the Jets and the Dolphins fate?

I am not sure what you mean by regression.

In some respects, we already regressed:

Our point differential is worse than last year.

Our offense is ranked worse than last year.

Our defense is ranked worse than last year.

We made the playoffs and that is great and was exciting . . . but we NEVER would have made the playoffs but for:

1) a late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion.

2) a miracle play by Andy Dalton.

Let's not kid ourselves about where we are right now . . . especially with all of the holes that need to be filled.

• Like (+1) 2

So I'll cover this and then my thoughts on long term Bills

New York’s Jets
2015 - 10-6 2nd place AFC East. Missed PO.2016- 5-11 4th place AFC East. Missed PO.
1st season was a veteran team with high cap that was relying on Ryan Fitzpatrick who played out of his mind. Frankly they just had their vets have career years and 2016 was more a regression to the mean.

Miami Dolphins2016 - 10-6 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.2017 - 6-10 3rd Palce AFC East.  Missed PO.

Simple season one with Tannehill healthy you saw Gase run his offense the way he wanted. Tannehill's injury threw a major wrench in their season regardless of Cutler/Moore. That said they were still as much in it as Buffalo going into week 15 in regards to the Wildcard and many Miami thought they could run the table the same way we did.

Buffalo Bills2017 - 9-7 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.2018 - ????????

Truthfully this Bills roster overachieved big time with major credit for McD coaching wise and got lucky in quite a few games. I believe that based off their advanced stats the Bills were actually more of a 6 win team in 2017 then 9 so frankly if they win 7-8 next year that would be an improvement on their metrics.

How do they avoid slipping too far? To me it looks like this if they plan on building up from 9 wins:

- Go 6-2 at home next season again. The Bills at home minus the NOLA game were incredibly hard to play against and finally used the crowd's energy to help them get back to being a very tough opponent for those on the road. If you look at the best teams year in year out their home record is a huge factor in them staying in the playoffs ie NE PIT GB for starters. 6-2 at home means you can go just 3-5 on the road and still have a shot.

-With the secondary fixed strengthen the front 7. The Bills lack a top pass rush at LB or DE they need both frankly. Star Lotulelei would be a great add to the middle, but they need a DE and a true stud LB in the middle to play with Milano. The defense with the right additions can go from a good bend not break D to a Top 10 17 pts or less allowed type unit. If you have a defense doing that which starts getting back to being as good as 2014 and you will be in every game regardless of how awful the offense is.

-QB who can distribute the ball decently and get the Bills up to 23-24 pts a game on average. The offense was pathetic at 18.9 ppg and whoever the QB is whether FA or Draft they better be able to move the ball passing better and get 22ppg minimum especially with the QB's Buffalo faces next year.

-Have a RB who can take some carries from Shady to keep him fresh. Shady is a truely incredible player but age will catch him at some point. If the Bills can draft a guy like Nick Chubb who can be the future heir at RB but short term help to take some carries they really would extend Shady's shelf life another year while keeping him at his best.

• Like (+1) 2

Discussing a "sophmore slump" implies this past season marked some sort of great breakout. 9-8 does not a breakout season make. It's the same old middling record that makes up season after season with the Bills. When they knock out 11 wins and look like a coming power, that will be the time to worry about sophomore slumps. For now they're just a collection of Never Were, second level talent.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Discussing a "sophmore slump" implies this past season marked some sort of great breakout. 9-8 does not a breakout season make. It's the same old middling record that makes up season after season with the Bills. When they knock out 11 wins and look like a coming power, that will be the time to worry about sophomore slumps. For now they're just a collection of Never Were, second level talent.

Not only that, many of the metrics are actually worse (as I mentioned in another post).

43 minutes ago, corta765 said:

So I'll cover this and then my thoughts on long term Bills

New York’s Jets
2015 - 10-6 2nd place AFC East. Missed PO.2016- 5-11 4th place AFC East. Missed PO.
1st season was a veteran team with high cap that was relying on Ryan Fitzpatrick who played out of his mind. Frankly they just had their vets have career years and 2016 was more a regression to the mean.

Miami Dolphins2016 - 10-6 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.2017 - 6-10 3rd Palce AFC East.  Missed PO.

Simple season one with Tannehill healthy you saw Gase run his offense the way he wanted. Tannehill's injury threw a major wrench in their season regardless of Cutler/Moore. That said they were still as much in it as Buffalo going into week 15 in regards to the Wildcard and many Miami thought they could run the table the same way we did.

Buffalo Bills2017 - 9-7 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.2018 - ????????

Truthfully this Bills roster overachieved big time with major credit for McD coaching wise and got lucky in quite a few games. I believe that based off their advanced stats the Bills were actually more of a 6 win team in 2017 then 9 so frankly if they win 7-8 next year that would be an improvement on their metrics.

How do they avoid slipping too far? To me it looks like this if they plan on building up from 9 wins:

- Go 6-2 at home next season again. The Bills at home minus the NOLA game were incredibly hard to play against and finally used the crowd's energy to help them get back to being a very tough opponent for those on the road. If you look at the best teams year in year out their home record is a huge factor in them staying in the playoffs ie NE PIT GB for starters. 6-2 at home means you can go just 3-5 on the road and still have a shot.

-With the secondary fixed strengthen the front 7. The Bills lack a top pass rush at LB or DE they need both frankly. Star Lotulelei would be a great add to the middle, but they need a DE and a true stud LB in the middle to play with Milano. The defense with the right additions can go from a good bend not break D to a Top 10 17 pts or less allowed type unit. If you have a defense doing that which starts getting back to being as good as 2014 and you will be in every game regardless of how awful the offense is.

-QB who can distribute the ball decently and get the Bills up to 23-24 pts a game on average. The offense was pathetic at 18.9 ppg and whoever the QB is whether FA or Draft they better be able to move the ball passing better and get 22ppg minimum especially with the QB's Buffalo faces next year.

-Have a RB who can take some carries from Shady to keep him fresh. Shady is a truely incredible player but age will catch him at some point. If the Bills can draft a guy like Nick Chubb who can be the future heir at RB but short term help to take some carries they really would extend Shady's shelf life another year while keeping him at his best.

Strong analysis.  If we sign Star, I don't think you get Cousins, who is the best of the FA qbs, imo.  Too expensive to get both.  (I prefer Mayfield in the draft, I think I've said too often.)  I really think Roquan Smith is going to be a great NFL lb.  If we don't trade up for qb, I would consider a small trade up to secure Smith.  Alex Smith is an okay bridge qb, but I'd like to draft a fella with potential to be a long-term answer as well.  Bryce Love or Sony Michel at rb if they happen to drop to late third.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

New York’s Jets

2015 - 10-6 2nd place AFC East. Missed PO.

2016- 5-11 4th place AFC East. Missed PO.

Miami Dolphins

2016 - 10-6 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.

2017 - 6-10 3rd Palce AFC East.  Missed PO.

Buffalo Bills

2017 - 9-7 2nd Place AFC East.  WC Loss.

2018 - ????????

All first year head coaches too that followed up with less than stellar returns on the sophomore season.

what is the solution to avoid the Jets and the Dolphins fate?

Here's the big concern from the Bills standpoint when addressing this, the 2015 Jets and 2016 Dolphins were much better teams across the board than the 2017 Bills. Yet both failed miserably the following season for a number of reasons (tougher schedules, key injuries, etc).

And this is why I maintain the Bills could be in a lot of trouble for the 2018 season, because first of all I don't think McD is anywhere close to the coach that Gase and Todd Bowles are. Second, it's no secret this team is going to continue to churn the roster and I think a lot of the veterans on this team won't be back next year sans guys recently brought in like Micah Hyde.

And while the expected influx of young talent via the draft should pay dividends long term, I still think 2018 will be a classic step back season and at least from a W/L standpoint might be closer to what most expected in 2017 (i.e. a 4-12 type of season).

Either way it's good that this regime was able to get the playoff drought monkey off their backs because the next few years might not be as kind especially if you factor in the rest of the division being vastly improved in the offseason as well .

1. Find a FA veteran QB to bridge this team successfully 

2. Fire Rico

3. Address right side of o line 

4. Zay and Benjamin need to step up, and also should be looking to add another receiver 

5. Re sign gaines 

6. Add 2 impact players on that front 7

The AFCE is about to be wide open, thanks to the Jimmy G trade.

Bills are loaded with picks and have money to spend.  I think Bean actually  knows what he’s doing.

We won’t regress.  The Bills are the next power in the east.

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Not only that, many of the metrics are actually worse (as I mentioned in another post).

Yes the 2017 Bills were very bad if you compared them to the 2016 Dolphins and 2015 Jets

Both those teams were much better across the board especially offensively. And this is also why some had them pegged as SB contenders the following seasons, especially the Dolphins this year.

This is why it's a minor miracle McD and this team was able to back into the playoffs on the arm of Andy Dalton of all QB's.

Don't be surprised if a lot of the pundits have the Bills projected as a terrible team in 2018 similar to what they thought last season.

7 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Yes the 2017 Bills were very bad if you compared them to the 2016 Dolphins and 2015 Jets

Both those teams were much better across the board especially offensively. And this is also why some had them pegged as SB contenders the following seasons, especially the Dolphins this year.

This is why it's a minor miracle McD and this team was able to back into the playoffs on the arm of Andy Dalton of all QB's.

Don't be surprised if a lot of the pundits have the Bills projected as a terrible team in 2018 similar to what they thought last season.

I don't recall many people trumpeting the 2017 Miami Dolphins as Super Bowl contenders.

6 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I actually was comparing the 2017 Bills to the 2016 Bills.

The 2016 Buffalo Bills metrics I cited were better than this year's team.

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I don't recall many people trumpeting the 2017 Miami Dolphins as Super Bowl contenders.

They were one of many 'sexy' picks including teams like the Raiders, Broncos and Bucs. Another reason many experts thought the Bills would suck because we had to play all these teams.

Regardless many experts and league insiders will be all over the Dolphin bandwagon again next year because Adam Gase is widely considered one of the best young offensive minds in the NFL. Dolphins will also have their franchise QB back and are primed to have a big offseason given their cap situation.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Strong analysis.  If we sign Star, I don't think you get Cousins, who is the best of the FA qbs, imo.  Too expensive to get both.  (I prefer Mayfield in the draft, I think I've said too often.)  I really think Roquan Smith is going to be a great NFL lb.  If we don't trade up for qb, I would consider a small trade up to secure Smith.  Alex Smith is an okay bridge qb, but I'd like to draft a fella with potential to be a long-term answer as well.  Bryce Love or Sony Michel at rb if they happen to drop to late third.

To be a 100% honest I'd rather move up for Roquan because I think he is more of a sure thing and would cost far less.

• Like (+1) 1