Alex Smith, assessment from a KC fan

Zerovoltz

10 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Let's also talk about the realities of getting him. Do you want to chase him on the open market? He wants to be a long term starter. What kind of money are you throwing at him to lure him to the Bills? Going rate is probably +$22M a year. Do you want to trade for him? What assets are you going to give up to the Chiefs (who paid 2 firsts for him, and another to move up for his replacement) to pay him $17M a year, on top of the $8.6 in dead money to Tyrod? For a one year rental on a QB likely disgruntled at being the bridge two years in a row.

As usual  WWP exaggerates to try to push his point - done because he does not have confidence in his argument.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044991/san-francisco-49ers-announce-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs

The 49ers will receive the Chiefs' second-round pick, 34th overall, in this year's draft and a conditional pick in next year's draft

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

As usual  WWP exaggerates to try to push his point - done because he does not have confidence in his argument.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044991/san-francisco-49ers-announce-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs

Ok. I confess, I admit that I got the picks wrong. My bad.

But you completely disregard the thrust of the argument. Is it worth throwing the resources that we would need to get Smith for a marginal upgrade? Your Reliance on an ad hominem attack shows how poor your position is.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, I would settle for a better QB. Which would mean better results. Smith is a better QB. 

I would be very happy with that in a bridge QB, which is how I would want us to take Smith, drafting a QB high at the same time.

I think Smith is a marginal upgrade from Tyrod, Smith's numbers and level of production in his first four years with the Chiefs were very similar to Tyrod's years here in Buffalo. Smith's numbers this past season in KC were stellar and certainly better than anything Tyrod has done. But look at what it took to produce a very good but not great season from Smith. 

1- He was in the 5th year in Andy Reid's (A dam good offensive coach's) system. 

2- He had a good offensive line. 

3- He had 3 dynamic offensive weapons (Hunt, Hill, and Kelce)

If Smith comes to Buffalo he will not be playing in the same system that he has grown comfortable with. He also will more than likely not have 3 dynamic offensive weapons and isn't guaranteed to play in front of a good O-line (Age and injuries could catch up to our O-line realistically.) I can see Smith coming here and not being that much better than Tyrod. And Smith coming here will cost the team at the very least a 2nd round pick and some cap space. Which will further impact the teams ability to build talent.  

11 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Bills should set their sites higher than Alex Smith.   He's not good enough.

The answer is in the draft.   Gotta be one or more of them there this year - even at the position the Bills first pick in.   Just have to do a better job of identifying and picking that person than the other teams do.

Cheaper rental QB's are available that can give you as much upside as Alex Smith can.

Who are those cheaper rental QB?

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Fetched a 3rd and a 5th .. 5 years ago. A 3rd at best now imo 

? are you talking about the Alex Smith trade from SF to KC?  Because SF got a 2nd and a conditional pick (3rd round that became a 2nd) for Smith.

At the time of the trade, Smith was a QB who had played well the previous season, but was nevertheless benched, which makes one go "hmmmm"

He'd also been on a list of "5 biggest QB busts of all time" and had only had 1 1/2 solid seasons in his 7 year career.

At this point, Smith has had 6 1/2 solid seasons (the most recent the best), been to the pro-bowl twice, and taken his team to the playoffs 4 times.

I think they're going to want at least a 2nd, and only settle for that because their cap sitch sucks and everyone knows trading Smith is the easiest way to fix it.

• Like (+1) 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I can't think of a more Billsier thing to do than to trade our extra pick we got from KC that they took Mahomes with, back to KC for Alex Smith - who Mahomes will be replacing. 

Picking up another bridge QB in FA I can see...trading for one when we already have one on the roster makes no !@#$ing sense. 

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Pretty much what I saw too.

Look harder; that first video is a good example of prematurely abandoning the pocket before his #1 receiver even made his break...the guy who did break and instantly became 2 steps open.

Smith never passed it to him, though, b/c he was too busy escaping the pocket.

Brady stands tall in there, resists the heat, and throws for a completion.

I like Alex Smith and would consider him an upgrade over Tyrod, but he certainly has his limitations, which is all the OP is trying to say I think.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Look harder; that first video is a good example of prematurely abandoning the pocket before his #1 receiver even made his break...the guy who did break and instantly became 2 steps open.

I like Alex Smith and would consider him an upgrade over Tyrod, but he certainly has his limitations, which is all the OP is trying to say I think.

All QBs have limitations.

I too like Alex. I think he is at least a 50% better QB than Hotrod. Seems like a perfect fit for Rico's dink 'n dunk attack. He is accurate.

I would support replacing Hotrod with Alex.

Good thing too would he Couldn't wear that jinxed Bills #11. Drop Zone's got it locked up.

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You have summed it up right here.  Smith is only a good QB, because he does this too often.  His pocket presence is garbage.  Brady "wins" this play 19/20 times.  Smith loses this play at least 9 out of 10.  

10 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Not to quibble but the reason Alex bails is because he sees the SAM (James Harrison) with a clear path and breaking for him so he tries to keep his distance while surveying his options to the weak side. I agree that ideally you would have wanted him to hang in there long enuf to see Hill streaking free to his left for a sure TD. So yeah a bit like Tyrod there. IMO he would have probably had time to see Hill and deliver the ball before Harrison decapitated him, but just barely. A bloodthirsty Harrison is about to catch up to him on the sidelines just as the tape runs out.

you need to watch this again...the SAM isn't even close as Tyreek Hill is passing by a flat footed safety...at this point Alex should be setting and stepping into one as he has a ton of space and time....Smith seeing the SAM who is 7 or 8 yards away, leaves a HUGE pocket and that's it.  Ruined a play that should have gone for a long TD.  I don't have video of every time he does this...you'd have to watch all the games and be looking for it..but it happens alot...and you CAN NOT see this on a stat sheet.  

21 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Im sure you know much more about him than any of us, but what I see is a pocket collapsing and every receiver blanketed except 1 in the flat that has pick 6 written all over it. Maybe find some other film?

I disagree. The crossing route was definitely coming open. Smith did have pressure from the end, so he was right to move up in the pocket, but he should have stepped up and thrown it instead of scramble.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't another half-axx QB. That's all we've had in recent years. Draft the best QB we can and let him play. I get tired of hearing that playing as a rookie and learning a few things the hard way will destroy his confidence and his career will be ruined. That rule only applies if he has no talent and he's a wuss. Signing an overpriced QB that still gives us no chance to win a SB will only hurt our chances of eventually doing that. Think Fitz and that ridiculous contract Buddy gave him.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Case Keenum - Market Value $18 Mil 

Teddy Bridgewater - Market Value not listed

Drew Brees - Market Value $25 Mil
Kirk Cousins  - Market Value $26 Mil
Bradford
McCown
Derek Anderson
Matt Moore
Kellen Clemmens
Brock Osweiller 
Matt Barkley
Tom Savage

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Case Keenum - Market Value $18 Mil 

Teddy Bridgewater - Market Value not listed

Drew Brees - Market Value $25 Mil
Kirk Cousins  - Market Value $26 Mil
Bradford
McCown
Derek Anderson
Matt Moore
Kellen Clemmens
Brock Osweiller 
Matt Barkley
Tom Savage

Do you think that AJ McCarron will get a 1st or 2nd round tender? If not, he might be a cheap rental. He has stats better than TT does in the year he played a number of games as a starter (97.11 passer rating) . I would take him over those below McCown on the list if I was going cheap. I think Smith is better than from McCown down on the list. Bridgewater is a health question.

6 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

you need to watch this again...the SAM isn't even close as Tyreek Hill is passing by a flat footed safety...at this point Alex should be setting and stepping into one as he has a ton of space and time....Smith seeing the SAM who is 7 or 8 yards away, leaves a HUGE pocket and that's it.  Ruined a play that should have gone for a long TD.  I don't have video of every time he does this...you'd have to watch all the games and be looking for it..but it happens alot...and you CAN NOT see this on a stat sheet.  

Yeah like I said he should have set up and fired. And Hill looks like his first read on that play. He bails because he sees the SAM who has an unobstructed path to him, but NFL QBs are expected to stand in and make that throw. At least he bails because he sees something (JH). You have to understand that we are used to seeing a QB bail because he has bad field vision and sees nothing. 

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

Do you think that AJ McCarron will get a 1st or 2nd round tender? If not, he might be a cheap rental. He has stats better than TT does in the year he played a number of games as a starter (97.11 passer rating) . I would take him over those below McCown on the list if I was going cheap. I think Smith is better than from McCown down on the list. Bridgewater is a health question.

TBH, I don't know much about AJ.   

By Smith I assume Alex? 

Smith and others that would involve a trade I left off. 

I'd take Dalton for a year or two over Alex Smith and Cousins.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Every QB who isn't  making $17 million in 2018 and won't cost a draft pick.

McCown would be the most practical I would think.    Gives you slightly less ability than Smith perhaps - but not enough dropoff to care.

I just don't see the Bills building a dominant offense with Smith.   So, I wouldn't pay much for him.

I don't see them building a dominant offense with any  of the other rentals either.    But, you can get some of those guys cheap.

If the Bills have a dominant offense in 2 or 3 years it will be because they drafted a kickass QB this year.

There is a small chance they become a dominant offense with some existing veteran who surprises to the upside like AJ McCarron perhaps.   I just think that likelihood is much smaller than hitting in the draft.

Edited by PolishDave