McDermott and Beane Will Hold an End of Season Presser on 1-9 at 1 PM ET

8 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Not happening. 

People keep saying that. But, as I went over in that Alex Smith thread, there are some real problems. We don't have the draft capital to get into the top 2 spots, and even if we did, the top 2 QB's taken in the last two years were not supposed to start Week 1 and most didn't. Wentz did, because Philly fleeced Minny by trading Bradford, and his uneven season in 2016 should be a warning. And that was with very high picks. Goff and Trubinsky were tire fires their first years.

Cutting Taylor gets dead cap of $8.6 million. Toss that on top of paying a schlub second rater like Smith, Cousins, or Bradford a going rate of $22 million a year on the open market and you are in cap hell.

Unless we get my fantasy of trading a bevy of draft picks for Andrew Luck, here is my reasonable prediction of what happens.

1) Dorsey gets hired as our OC

2) Taylor is retained

3) The McBeane duo selects a rookie to be "their guy", and moved heaven and Earth to get him.

4) Open competition in TC. Likely Taylor holds it down, but if not, some team has had a QB emergency, and they can at least clear the books for a token pick.

5) At some point within the season, the rookie takes over

6) Taylor is off the books in 2019, with our dead money rolling over to bid on a new crop of FAs

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

No foot in mouth cringe worthy moments today ? Now that's refreshing.

I finally feel like the adults have replaced the children. PCs (EDIT:) this millennium have been brutal to listen to.

Edited by BillsVet

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Jon Scott @JonScottTV 10m10 minutes ago

Brandon Beane says his biggest job as GM is to find a franchise quarterback. Doesn't care where he finds it (free agency or draft), just that he does. #Bills

My takeaway from this comment:  If Tyrod was that guy, he wouldn't have to go out looking or have to find him, right?

I don't think anyone, absolutely anyone thinks Taylor is "that guy."

Still sounds like Taylor might be the bridge to "that guy," though.  Time will tell.

McDermott's quote that "We’d like to have a veteran in the room for a lot of reasons" regarding the QB is an interesting statement to me.  I think that could be interpreted in a couple different ways, one of which involves Taylor much more likely gone and one of which involves Taylor much more likely back.

As usual with his PCs, he's not giving much away.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm disappointed there wasn't a single instance in which I heard the world privy today

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

PFT has turned into nothing more than a gossip rag and a soapbox for Florio to make Perez Hilton style jabs at people and franchises he doesn't like. I barely read that site anymore. 

Edited by ndirish1978

I like it.  This is setting up like was Pete Carroll did in Seatle.   I expect similar wholesale changes like there was last year.  The young guys will be retained and the cheaper FA will be kept.  The old nucleus will be changed as well.  The only guys over 30 that they will want back are Wood Williams and Alexander. 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They didn't.  It was just questions fishing for Dennison and Taylor's future with the Bills.

I at least expected them to ask if either he or Hyde were ok considering both left the game with concussions. Guess no one cares unless it impacts game status. 

These two guys both put a huge emphasis on character, football character, leadership, preparation, classwork, team first philosophy, and everything associated with those things. Without taking into consideration what you think of Tyrod on the field, he gets an A+ from these guys on all of those, and they mentioned it, which will go a long way in determining whether or not he is on the team next year.

Just because you may think they have moved on from him, or that he will never be a franchise QB, don't just assume they do. That stuff is huge to them, and there is going to be a solid veteran QB here next year.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

These two guys both put a huge emphasis on character, football character, leadership, preparation, classwork, team first philosophy, and everything associated with those things. Without taking into consideration what you think of Tyrod on the field, he gets an A+ from these guys on all of those, and they mentioned it, which will go a long way in determining whether or not he is on the team next year.

Just because you may think they have moved on from him, or that he will never be a franchise QB, don't just assume they do. That stuff is huge to them, and there is going to be a solid veteran QB here next year.

Would they keep Tyrod as the veteran backup at a reduced backup rate?

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Would they keep Tyrod as the veteran backup at a reduced backup rate?

I'm sure they are considering it. I think they are considering it at the rate he has, and they should, even though he is not going to be a franchise guy. If they drafted a QB in the first round and keep Tyrod, they have likely the best backup in the league.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm disappointed there wasn't a single instance in which I heard the world privy today

PFT has turned into nothing more than a gossip rag and a soapbox for Florio to make Perez Hilton style jabs at people and franchises he doesn't like. I barely read that site anymore. 

This is out of the thread subject, but Florio was on Saturday night with the NBC pregame/halftime crew and reported about the alleged Browns QB preference. At the end of the segment he flippantly remarked how anything the Browns do is wrong anyway. 

I stopped reading PFT long ago as well. He's a parody of a NFL "insider."