So it seems the NFL corrected the catch rule

Steptide

It just so happened to be against the bills in a playoff game. 

3 very questionable calls yesterday. 

1- the Jacksonville td. The football fan in me says that was a catch. The realist in me says, if it was 4 weeks ago it'd be incomplete. 

2- the Charles Clay catch where he stepped out of bounds prior to the catch. I honestly don't know on this. It was so close it could've gone either way. The rule itself is stupid. What does "reestablishing himself as a reciever" even mean anyway? 

3- the interception to end the game. This Imo was the worst call all game. Did we all not see the ball hit the ground in the process of the catch? That should've absolutely been an incomplete pass. This was a terrible call that did not get over turned 

• Thank you (+1) 1

At the end of the NO/Car game, a Car defender was given credit for an interception that he never had control of. No replay. It was on a 4th down play and would have been better for Car field position to not have caught the ball. The NFL still doesn't have consistent criteria for what a catch is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Steptide said:

2- the Charles Clay catch where he stepped out of bounds prior to the catch. I honestly don't know on this. It was so close it could've gone either way. The rule itself is stupid. What does "reestablishing himself as a reciever" even mean anyway?

"A player who is out of bounds is re-established when his second foot comes down in bounds, or if another body part (other than the hand, ankle, or wrist) touches in bounds when no part of the body is touching out of bounds. Until a player is re-established, he remains an out-of-bounds player, even though he may appear to be fully in the field of play. Simply put: any receiver who has by any means gone out of bounds may not catch, or be the first to touch, any pass. Re-establishing himself in bounds makes the pass complete, but his touching of the pass remains illegal."

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/08/30/rule-loophole-closed-on-out-of-bounds-receivers/

18 minutes ago, Steptide said:

1- the Jacksonville td. The football fan in me says that was a catch. The realist in me says, if it was 4 weeks ago it'd be incomplete. 

3- the interception to end the game. This Imo was the worst call all game. Did we all not see the ball hit the ground in the process of the catch? That should've absolutely been an incomplete pass. This was a terrible call that did not get over turned 

I agree that they were questionable calls, given how badly these same situations have been ruled in other games, just this season...but if you step back, I think all three rulings were legit.

I gotta tell you. I don't know what a catch is anymore. I sit here watching the game on my big HD screen, going over the replay in slow motion, and my option winds up being different from the NY office. It's just too inconsistent. 

More importantly, if the league office can't make a call in about a minute, the play should stand as called. A few weeks ago in the Buff-NE game the Benjamin catch was overturned after what seemed to be at least 5 minutes of review. That's too long. It leads me to believe that the league is LOOKING to overturn a call on the field. That's should not what it was designed for. 

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

23 minutes ago, MichFan said:

At the end of the NO/Car game, a Car defender was given credit for an interception that he never had control of. No replay. It was on a 4th down play and would have been better for Car field position to not have caught the ball. The NFL still doesn't have consistent criteria for what a catch is.

that looked incomplete to me.

47 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Both feet in bounds before touching the ball, his foot that was out of bounds was up in the air.  Just like basketball.

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

What about when they gave us 1st down when Shady was clearly 1 yard short?

Was it reviewed? I believe Marrone wasn't quick enough with his challenge flag on that one.

As for the others

Clay catch - dumb rule. Understand when a player runs fully out of bounds or runs on the white line, but having part of tour foot touch the white line rules you inelligable to catch It? Dumb rule called correctly

Jax TD - seen similar plays get called differently, some movement of the ball as he was out of bounds. Hate to see one like that get called back, but after the replays called back this year, could have gone either way

End INT - this is exactly what happened that was called a no catch in the NE/Pitts game that was ruled no catch with less visual evidence then this one yesterday. If that was an INT, Pitts gets the win over the Pats this year. More proof and evidence was available yesterday and they wouldn't overturn it.

This is the big problem with the league, inconsistency. Not the rules themselves, the inconsistent calling of the rules and replays. One week it's enforced/called one way, the next it a the opposite even with more evidence. It doesn't help when certain teams are always getting the calls go for them either.....

25 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I thought the TD catch was fine - you could see both feet down and the ball did not come loose - so you could see control the whole time - this has been a TD for a while no change.  If you could see the exact moment Benjamin had complete control - his would have been a TD, but because the ball bounces from his hands to his chest/stomach and you can not tell when he has control and his foot comes up - I can see that being ruled incomplete.

The Charles Clay play was also obvious and the correct call - we actually got lucky because if they had decided he was fully back in bounds - it would of been an illegal touching and not only incomplete, but a penalty also.

The interception- the ball moves a lot, but I never saw an angle showing it definitely hit the ground.  It was close, but he had his arm under it and then roles and with the dark ball and the shading I never saw it make obvious contact with the ground.  In my Bills heart - I hoped for an overturn, but I thought it was the correct call.

Wouldn't surprise me if after all the controversy with the Pats games and all the negative national attention plus Pegula speaking out against the way the rules were being enforced that the commish or someone high up in the NFL office told Riveron he was way overstepping his bounds and to stop it. There are already rumors that Blandino my be coming back to the NFL next year if the money is right.

56 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Exactly...if you watch the replay his second foot came down out of bounds after the bobble...if Benjamin can be overturned with circumstantial evidence how can that play stand with clear and indisputable evidence??

Personally I thought its a catch too. Both were... but if one isnt a catch how can the other one be?

51 minutes ago, MichFan said:

Yeah I thought that was incomplete for sure...of that was a receiver that would have definitely been overturned on a challenge...