Predictions from ESPN Insiders (and me) for our 2018 starting QB

Honestly, I am hoping Peterman can develop into a good backup for us. I never expected him to become a starter at this level. He has not shown he can be a good backup yet. He trusts his very average arm a little too much and it is the reason he is throwing so many ints. Hopefully he can improve his arm strength this offseason. 

53 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I hope you’re right about Darnold.  

Me too.

Again, the little I know about college football he gives me the biggest longterm hope we've had in the last 20+ years.

I think I could get behind a pick of Rudolph or Allen, too.

I don't think Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson are McDermott/Buffalo guys, though I think I kinda like Mayfield.

48 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Give me Baker and the draft picks it would have taken to get the "higher rated" guys. The Bills have a lot of holes in the roster.

And you end up in the same boat we have been; getting elite talent in other positions to try to prop up the QB...

You have to go up and get the QB, otherwise you end up with Losman...

2 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Give me Baker and the draft picks it would have taken to get the "higher rated" guys. The Bills have a lot of holes in the roster.

Many of which can be found in free agency as solid players. Going after another stop gap QB or raw late 1st/2nd round QB, hoping they pan out is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. 

It's the same thing you hear every year. Too many holes to fill and media pundits say JP or EJ could be the best of the lot, a Bill Walsh endorsement of Trent Edwards not to mention all the veterans brought in that just need a good supporting cast.

The one thing the Bills haven't been doing is actually breaking the bank and going for the top available talent. It may not pan out but you gotta try.

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

And you end up in the same boat we have been; getting elite talent in other positions to try to prop up the QB...

You have to go up and get the QB, otherwise you end up with Losman...

They went up to get Losman.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Get the best QB at 1 and don't :censored: around trying to be cute. 

But how much do you give up to get him???   We have talent holes all over this roster and not enough cap space to fill with FAs.  Maybe move up a little but giving up both first rounders, a second and next year 1st and 2nd is a lot of change for a QB.   

7 hours ago, hemma said:

I'd love it, but getting Darnold would be an awfully heavy lift.

Plus he sucks, which usually isn't a predictor of success.  Then again, if we trade all our picks it guarantees a hall of famer.

1 minute ago, Xwnyer said:

But how much do you give up to get him???   We have talent holes all over this roster and not enough cap space to fill with FAs.  Maybe move up a little but giving up both first rounders, a second and next year 1st and 2nd is a lot of change for a QB.   

Especially when that QB stinks.  But once we or anyone else trades the farm for him, he will turn great.

Will wait and see if they sign a FA QB . So many holes need to be filled this draft would not want to trade up. 

If a decent QB is not there when Bill's draft then trade up in 2019, if need be.

Dak Prescott  and Kirk Cousins were 4th rd picks. Need a lot of luck and better scouting. The RG3 trade up spooked me. 

Edited by ALF
added info

Peterman can't play in this league and you saw why on the last play of the game. Arm too weak to throw the out route. Factor that in with how flustered he gets under pressure and that's a bad combo. Lots of QB's flame out once they get to this level. We drafted a guy and saw he couldn't do it. Cut your losses and move on. In gambling and stock trading you need to learn to walk away from a bad bet. Sign a vet and draft another in round 1

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

This roster full of "talent holes" just defied all expectations and made the playoffs.

Get the QB you want McDermott.

McCown as a bridge guy for whoever we draft high. He'd be a good mentor / on-field coach if the rookie eventually develops enough to start.

I'd love to see them get Alex Smith or Bridgewater on top of a QB in the first round, but not sure they'll want to spend all that much capital on one position. I was really hoping we'd have a chance at Garoppolo this off-season. That ship has sailed.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And 3/6 predict that it's Nate Peterman.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30895/where-will-tyrod-taylor-play-in-2018-nfl-insiders-predict

Good God! I hope not. Yet again, today I saw the reason I really didn't like Peterman at all in the offseason. That ball that was intercepted would've been a completed pass for anyone with an NFL arm.

Peterman doesn't have the arm strength to be the starting QB in Buffalo. Anticipation is great, but he better throw his sideline out patterns as he's getting off the team bus to make sure it's not intercepted.

I kid... I kid... :flirt: 

Believe me, as soon as Taylor got knocked out of the game, I was screaming and rooting for Peterman as he ran for that first down and praying that he would win the game and lead us to some miracles.

I did the same thing when he started against the Chargers.

The other leaders in the ESPN insider clubhouse include Sam Bradford and Alex Smith.

Really? They think this regime would prefer an aging vet??? One who's had how many healthy seasons in the NFL??? 

I guess these guys can't think outside the box and see that we're going to be going really hard at drafting a rookie QB, can they?

My way to early prediction…?

The top 4 picks include Cleveland twice, who neither Donald nor Rosen have reported wanting to play for and there's reported interest in Mayfield. The Colts, who don't need a quarterback. And the Giants, and Gettleman almost sounds like he might move forward with Eli for a couple more years.

I think we are very likely prepared to give up our two first round draft choices along with our second round draft choice and probably next years 1st or maybe 2nd round draft choice to go up and get either Darnold or Rosen. Based on reports, sounds like Darnold, who I prefer based on the little I know, though he's a QB I realize we're likely to take some serious lumps with.

I think Sam Darnold is our 2018 game 1 starter. That's my waaaAAAAAAAyyyyy too early prediction. Yours? 0:)

Just like us, these people just guess. They have no idea

From the limited reading I have done on this it seems that none of the guys in this year's draft are considered as good as the guys in last year's draft (Watson especially).  So giving up a ton of picks on guys like a Rosen or Darnold seems unlikely.  You do that when there is a can't miss type guy, and none of the guys in this year's draft fit that description.

Thus, my bet is that they go out and get a guy in free agency.  And looking at those potentially available, to me there is one obvious choice:

Cousins.  I say that based on a recent SI article about him.  He is all about process, and he is a film rat.  Studies hard all the time.  His approach to the game would fit perfectly with what McDermott and Beane are trying to build as far as the team mentality.  And he has performed pretty well in Washington.

McDermott and Beane know they need better QB play.  One of the first things Beane said when he was hired is that you have to have a QB to win in the league.  Is Cousins that guy?  Maybe, maybe not.    But unless they are really sold on one of the guys in the draft, I think it'll be Cousins.  And then they'll draft a guy with their second first round pick or one of the second round picks, someone they feel has the physical tools (maybe a Rudolph or a Falk or the kid from Western KY).