Why the Peterman hate

BBills88

If Taylor would've just gotten crushed and pulled towel head in the 1st Qtr we might've had a small chance to win this game. 

With the Jags defense I knew everything was going to be tight windows. Taylor doesn't even attempt tight window throws because he doesn't have confidence in his accuracy to get the football in there. 

With Peterman at least he would attempt to throw those contested passes and let his playmakers make plays. Watching Taylor play against defenses like the Jets, Saints and Jags is just a horrible feeling. Everybody did their part to win this game today except Taylor. 

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Taylor would've just gotten crushed and pulled towel head in the 1st Qtr we might've had a small chance to win this game. 

With the Jags defense I knew everything was going to be tight windows. Taylor doesn't even attempt tight window throws because he doesn't have confidence in his accuracy to get the football in there. 

With Peterman at least he would attempt to throw those contested passes and let his playmakers make plays. Watching Taylor play against defenses like the Jets, Saints and Jags is just a horrible feeling. Everybody did their part to win this game today except Taylor. 

Peterman would have had 3 Interceptions and a fumble. 

He is a turnover machine. 

I don't think you can rule someone out after about 4 quarters of football. He's been thrust into some pretty tough situations. I'm ok with going into next season with him competing for the starting spot. I think he could be serviceable in this league. 

Edited by Rise Up Lights
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t know why anyone would hate Peterman. He’s not an NFL caliber QB, so I would certainly hate if the bills ever found themselves needing him to play a single snap at QB ever aqain..., but out side of that he sounds like a nice guy 

Waaayyyyyyy  too soon to make that assessment. 

I do feel like Peterman has drawn the short straw when it comes to the games he has played in this year. They give him his 1st start vs the best D-line in the NFL in the Chargers. Then he plays in the blizzard game and then he comes in to play do or die against the Jags. He needs to reset himself in the offseason and focus on improving his arm strength and making better and quicker decisions. Peterman could still turn out to be a solid to good QB with time.

The 5 pick game won't go away, but today's pick was not a poor decision on Peterman's part.  That was a timing play where he drops back and unloads without thought.  What I don't understand is why you have a receiver move up field a few yards, stop and wait for the ball.  That allows Ramsey to break on the ball against a stationary receiver.  Either run the receiver deeper, or slant the receiver inside so that he is moving towards the ball instead of standing and waiting for it.

Peterman needs a pocket to make throws.  Our line does not create a clean pocket very often, thus the quick timing throw at the end.  I agree he may never be a successful starter, but he is a McD pick not a hold over and he fits the Dennison offense well enough that he'll be around next year for sure.  Being a rookie, I expect there is still a learning curve for Peterman.  Whatever success he's capable of will take time.

There have been a few QB's drafted in round 5 or later (other than Brady) who have had successful careers, so dismissing Peterman solely because he was drafted in round 5 is nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, familykwi said:

The 5 pick game won't go away, but today's pick was not a poor decision on Peterman's part.  That was a timing play where he drops back and unloads without thought.  What I don't understand is why you have a receiver move up field a few yards, stop and wait for the ball.  That allows Ramsey to break on the ball against a stationary receiver.  Either run the receiver deeper, or slant the receiver inside so that he is moving towards the ball instead of standing and waiting for it.

Peterman needs a pocket to make throws.  Our line does not create a clean pocket very often, thus the quick timing throw at the end.  I agree he may never be a successful starter, but he is a McD pick not a hold over and he fits the Dennison offense well enough that he'll be around next year for sure.  Being a rookie, I expect there is still a learning curve for Peterman.  Whatever success he's capable of will take time.

There have been a few QB's drafted in round 5 or later (other than Brady) who have had successful careers, so dismissing Peterman solely because he was drafted in round 5 is nonsense.

I agree with & like your response. 

18 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Not what any of his detractors are doing so your premise is false. 

2 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Dam people, take ten warm up throws, go to football field w 60,000 people screaming an less than 1 minute. Make a throw through a freaking tire that probably shouldn't have been called by Denison! Give the kid a break! Great season and ended not like we hoped at all but better than we all thought 6 months ago!! bTW please no more Taylor.

To Peterman's credit -- that kid has seen more ridiculous scenarios in his first season than any rookie could have ever expected. The 5 INT game, the Blizzard, and then getting thrown into the potentially game-winning drive in the last minute of a playoff game. 

I don't know what the future is for this kid, but he's earned at least next year to try and figure it out. I do think he has the potential for a much higher ceiling than Taylor, but that's really not saying much. There's probably 35-40 players in the league right now and coming in next year's draft that you could say the same thing about. 

I mean, if there are still idiots around that want to give Tyrod an 8th year to pretend to be a starting-calibre QB in the NFL, then NP deserves at least one more season to make a case for at least clipboard duty somewhere. 

29 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Peterman would have had 3 Interceptions and a fumble. 

He is a turnover machine. 

Maybe he would have also had a couple of TD passes too. 

Or even 1. 

Taylor is a punting machine. What's really the difference in the end? 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Waaayyyyyyy  too soon to make that assessment. 

C’mon man...  the level of ineptitude on display with him exceeds ej Manuel, losman, Edwards, Johnson, certainly anything we’ve seen from TT...

hes got to work on everything... everything...

and thx Bills for great season... be pissed you didn’t win- get better 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Dam people, take ten warm up throws, go to football field w 60,000 people screaming an less than 1 minute. Make a throw through a freaking tire that probably shouldn't have been called by Denison! Give the kid a break! Great season and ended not like we hoped at all but better than we all thought 6 months ago!! bTW please no more Taylor.

Agree wholeheartedly.  He was thrown into an impossible situation today, 4th down, one chance to keep the drive alive, after being on the bench all day.  I give him credit for the first down run (even though he didn't protect the ball very well and could've lost it).  Yes he took a bad intentional grounding penalty but that Jags pass rush pinned their ears back and were RELENTLESS...debatable on that last throw whether it was on Thompson for not coming back to the ball or Peterman's throw.  Either way, there's no way at this time am I ready to label him a bust.  Let's see what an off-season of training does for the kid before we write him off....

10 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

To Peterman's credit -- that kid has seen more ridiculous scenarios in his first season than any rookie could have ever expected. The 5 INT game, the Blizzard, and then getting thrown into the potentially game-winning drive in the last minute of a playoff game. 

I don't know what the future is for this kid, but he's earned at least next year to try and figure it out. I do think he has the potential for a much higher ceiling than Taylor, but that's really not saying much. There's probably 35-40 players in the league right now and coming in next year's draft that you could say the same thing about. 

I mean, if there are still idiots around that want to give Tyrod an 8th year to pretend to be a starting-calibre QB in the NFL, then NP deserves at least one more season to make a case for at least clipboard duty somewhere. 

Maybe he would have also had a couple of TD passes too. 

Or even 1. 

Taylor is a punting machine. What's really the difference in the end? 

He gets lots of credit for not throwing picks but leads the league in 3 and outs. Punts are turnovers too.

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Some of the Peterman hate is the converse of Tyrod love, no question. Some Tyrod fans need Nate the way the Pres needs Hillary. But there is more to it than that. I'm not ready to write hm off though and I don't think the Bills are either. Time will  if he's got anything worthwhile to offer. 

Absolutely right. 

In order to keep the "You can win with Tyrod" delusion going, they use a 5th round rookie QB and the stupid INT % stat -- simply because there is no other rational argument, evidence, or support for that ridiculous claim. 

It simple deflection from Tyrod to NP, since Tyrod's poor performance and prospects as a starter are indefensible. What is lost, however, is that by constantly drawing the comparison of a 7-year veteran to a 5th round rookie, it only makes Taylor look even worse. I mean, it's not like they can try to make the case for Taylor by comparing him to an actual good proven QB. Dude got smoked by Blake Bortles today. 

He's a great professional and a class act in the locker room, but he's a bad starting QB. 

Edited by twoandfourteen