Checking in with the Jags message board

YoloinOhio

I haven’t seen a lot of the Jags this year (ok, none) but their roster, stats and rankings are scary as hell especially on defense. I have seen almost every snap of the Bills and know they have to play a near perfect game to win given roster, passing game limitations and injuries. I’m hopeful but have a ton of concerns.  But the Jags have won 1 more whole game than the Bills this year. With a last place schedule, and not playing the Pats twice (or even once).  That said, the blowout predicted/assumed by their fans is a bit surprising. They don’t have many concerns with their team at all yet, they lost 6 games somehow.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=26310&page=14

If the Jags have a running game even remotely close to which the Saints had on us, we are doomed. If we can stop the run or hold the run to below 120 yards and not give up big plays I think we have a shot. But Tyrod is gonna need to make some plays with the ball.

That's two huge things that really haven't worked for us this year: 1) Tyrod slinging it efficiently and scoring TDs 2) The Defense stopping the run

• Like (+1) 1

It’s really hard to say how this game will go.  The Bills have struggled against this kind of D.  It’s really dependent upon the type of game Taylor has.  I tend to agree with Gugny (scary I know) that the Bills need to unleash Tyrod and let’s see what he can do.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I haven’t seen a lot of the Jags this year (ok, none) but their roster, stats and rankings are scary as hell especially on defense. I have seen almost every snap of the Bills and know they have to play a near perfect game to win given roster, passing game limitations and injuries. I’m hopeful but have a ton of concerns.  But the Jags have won 1 more whole game than the Bills this year. With a last place schedule, and not playing the Pats twice (or even once).  That said, the blowout predicted/assumed by their fans is a bit surprising. They don’t have many concerns with their team at all yet, they lost 6 games somehow.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=26310&page=14

I don't know how we will move the ball, especially if shady isn't 100%.  Sacks could be a big issue as well.

2 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

If the Jags have a running game even remotely close to which the Saints had on us, we are doomed. If we can stop the run or hold the run to below 120 yards and not give up big plays I think we have a shot. But Tyrod is gonna need to make some plays with the ball.

That's two huge things that really haven't worked for us this year: 1) Tyrod slinging it efficiently and scoring TDs 2) The Defense stopping the run

That span in the season where we couldn't stop anyone was right after we traded #99. They still not rock solid but we're not the same team that got crushed by the run right after the trade. 

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Imo the bills need to pull out every gadget they have. You got in the playoffs finally, here's your shot. Catch the jags while they sleep 

I don't want the to go too crazy with trick plays. There's a lot of heart on this team and our defense can be just nasty. I think we win this game if the team doesn't get distracted by all the hype and attention they are getting from the media.

31 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Our run-D although not great, has improved tremendously since the saints/chargers games.

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Fournette has got like 3.2 ypc average in the month of December or something like that.

Yeah.  He started out the season like a house afire, but since Thanksgiving has slowed down a lot.  His backup - TJ Yeldon is dealing with an injury. Those are both plusses for the Bills' defense.  

30 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Interesting Dareus factoid: The Jags went from dead last in run defense to 12th for the regular season after he was traded to them. They are, I believe, 7th overall since he joined them.

The Jags did improve when they acquired Dareus.  They are tougher to run inside against now.  That will change Buffalo's strategy.

4 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Yeah.  He started out the season like a house afire, but since Thanksgiving has slowed down a lot.  His backup - TJ Yeldon is dealing with an injury. Those are both plusses for the Bills' defense.  

The Jags did improve when they acquired Dareus.  They are tougher to run inside against now.  That will change Buffalo's strategy.

For some reason, the big run plays have increased.  Overall, they've dropped their ypc against.

I think their radio guy down there stated they've given up something like 19 runs of 20 yards or more in the last 7-8 games.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For some reason, the big run plays have increased.  Overall, they've dropped their ypc against.

I think their radio guy down there stated they've given up something like 19 runs of 20 yards or more in the last 7-8 games.

They are not very gap disciplined for such a talented defense.

they like to attack and shoot upfield which leads to overpursuing and they can be beat on counters

pull out Read options and draws and run it down their throats

• Like (+1) 2

Bills simply need to stop the run. If they can effectively shut down the Jags' run game and make Bortles beat them they have a great shot at winning. If Bortles has a great game and they lose I can live with that. If they get dominated with 200 rushing yards against it will be painful to watch.

• Like (+1) 4

I think if we keep Fournette around 3.5 ypc and we don't turn the ball over we will win this game. If we are able to control their running game we will put them into some uncomfortable passing situations. I would expect our secondary to force 2 ints if that is the case. I also think Haushka will get us a couple of long field goals on shorter drives around 30-40 yards against their amazing defence. 

Bills 19 Jags 13

Bortles 210 yards 0 TDs, 2 ints

Fournette 27 carries 80 yards, 1 TD

Taylor 175 yards passing, 25 yards rushing, 0TDs 0ints

McCoy 15 Carries 60 yards 1 TD

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

191 163 100 193 93 rushing yards bills defence has given up last 5 games.rush defense sucks.

The Patriots were rushing against a nickel defence, we will be stacking 8 in the box this week.