Does making the playoffs make Buffalo a more-desired destination for free agents?

CLTbills

Question for you guys.. I didn't see anything like this posted, if there is, mods feel free to merge. But does the Bills ending the drought make Buffalo a "sexier" destination for free agents, or more importantly, FA Quarterbacks? 

Think about it if if you're a guy like Kirk Cousins, or (please, God) Jimmy G. If you're getting offers from QB starved teams like Cleveland, Arizona, the Jets, the Giants, or Buffalo, which looks the most attractive? Had the Bills missed the playoffs yet again, I would say, of course, either of the NY teams. But does the Bills being a playoff team skew that? I mean, wouldn't a QB want to come to a place that's ready to win now, with a coaching staff that's proven to be able to lead a team to success (and coming off of a playoff season) over a team that's rebuilding or coming off of a 3-win season and is searching for a coach, or at least has a lot of uncertainty about who's going to be the coach after this year or next?

Can't hurt.  We have a competitive team that is trending in the right direction, and a coach with a plan and vision.  I'd want to come to Buffalo if I was a FA, but I'm also a little biased. :D

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

yes.  They may not seek Buffalo out, but they also may not cross them off the list without considering like they would the browns, for example.  

Well and that's what I'm getting at. What if the Bills had gone 8-8 or even still gone 9-7 but missed the playoffs? Does the fact that they're in the playoffs change that perception of the Bills the way it may or may not have had we had the same record and missed the playoffs?

Edited by CLTbills

As pointed out, we have a head coach with a vision. The fact that he got players to buy in should speak more volumes than our playoff appearance. Micah Hyde said at one point he wasn't interested in playing for Buffalo, now he loves it. The compliments guys like Hyde make will open a path to Buffalo for free agents.

10 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

As pointed out, we have a head coach with a vision. The fact that he got players to buy in should speak more volumes than our playoff appearance. Micah Hyde said at one point he wasn't interested in playing for Buffalo, now he loves it. The compliments guys like Hyde make will open a path to Buffalo for free agents.

Yes - the combination of positive accounts from players, as well as on field success can only be positive.  I disagree with the people who say "it's all about the money".   Players make decisions based on other factors as well.

ABSOLUTELY YES IT DOES...

...Especially when you consider the circumstances of our success.  Let's be honest- the whole league and probably a good number of players on the Bills figured that we would suck this year.  Forget that we needed help to get in or still have a lot of holes to fill.  McD got this team playing and our coaches did more with less.  McD and Beane have served notice that they know what they are doing and can build a roster.  

Even if we get blown out by the Jacksonville kitty cats, the undeniable fact is that we are a team on the rise, poised to get younger.  Any free agent considering Buffalo can see this too.  We're not the black pit that we used to be!

There is no reason to sign ANY of the FA QB's because none of them are a significant upgrade over TT and Eli's better days are in the past. A nearly impossible trade maybe or draft one, but we have to be aggressive or stay home.

10 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

There is no reason to sign ANY of the FA QB's because none of them are a significant upgrade over TT and Eli's better days are in the past. A nearly impossible trade maybe or draft one, but we have to be aggressive or stay home.

That wasn't the question...

Making the playoffs, yes... but much more than that, the publicity we’re getting for breaking the drought, the celebration videos, the airport welcome, the locker room after the Dalton TD, the Dalton foundation donation, and everything else is going to get players’ attention. I think the word is starting. to spread about how Buffalo has a intimate football culture that no other city has. The money for a player is always going to be the primary factor, but we may be gaining a better edge for the right type of “process” free agents.

Edited by DC Greg

I think the players in the NFL who would choose a situation in which they'd likely go to the post season over a situation in which they'd make the most money represent a very small percentage.

It's a business.  Everyone from the owners to the people schlepping beers are in it for one reason.  Money.

Edited by Gugny

46 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No. Money is 80% of the reason, the other 20% being playing time

There are other factors.  A WR we signed just before Lammy was shipped to CA was looking a Florida teams because he wanted to be closer to family but could not find a positon on one of those teams so took Bills offer.  Some want to be closer to their colleges.

Putting money aside , winning helps. But only if the perception is it's not an aberration. 

It was cool when Benjamin came to the team and mentioned the sideline celebration for the Brandon Tate first down against the Raiders. Players notice.

Since then the team had a similar celebration when #95 scored. Throw in the sideline celebration with the fans after the snow game and you can see that this team has something good going on.

I think the coach has something to do with this.  And hopefully that continues and is a selling point too.