System Change at Work

Luka

How many of you have gone through a computer system change at work? We recently changed the software we use for billing, inventory, etc. and man have some of the lifers had a fit about it. Granted it's had it's issues but over all, being someone that had less experience with the old ways, I feel the new system is fine once the bugs are worked out. What's been your experience?

39 minutes ago, Luka said:

How many of you have gone through a computer system change at work? We recently changed the software we use for billing, inventory, etc. and man have some of the lifers had a fit about it. Granted it's had it's issues but over all, being someone that had less experience with the old ways, I feel the new system is fine once the bugs are worked out. What's been your experience?

People fear change because it challenges them.

• Like (+1) 2

Most software changes are to introduce new bugs because the old ones are boring.

Having same issue at work with new key cards required for doors - the old key cards worked fine but it has taken me 10-15 minutes to get some doors open and I am charging that time not eating it.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Similar to yours.  The company offered a couple days training on it.  Was kind of overwhelming at first but I caught on eventually

I am a lifer.  I started out recording lock tickets on paper and sticking it in an in-box to be sent to be processed for Congress.  The we moved to a MS-DOS based input system.  Transferred to floppy and mailed disk off.  Then transferred data via phone handset modem... Eventually moved to Windows program.  Now web-based...

In 2012 our lock performance monitoring system (LPMS) was standardized throughout the country. We switched from our District's (and middle of the country's waterways) "Omni" LPMS program to the nationalized web based LPMS.  The new system sucks balls in many ways but I adapt to it to fit how we work, not the other way around..  There is still no way to save data on local machine when the Oracle database is down over the web.  Even our old program had ability to seamlessly save to the local machine, then transfer it to main database when up and running.  Now... We have to record on paper and transfer online when Oracle is up.  Total junk, but they have nice pretty reports to send to Congress for appropriations.

Junk... But I wasn't complaining, everybody else was complaining throughout the country.  We had a messaging system.  I was the impetus for having them pull plug on instant messaging.  It was getting to the point where people were whining about this or that almost on a daily basis... I told them to shut-up, find a work around that would make it act like the old program.  LoL.

It's the gov't.  I do understand the march to automation and the boats meshing their AiS system to our system over the web though.  One cookie cutter system doesn't cut it, things can be so vastly different from our traffic patterns from say places like Seattle, New Orleans, South Florida, Chicago, or even Sault Ste. Marie... But Congress wants all the data standardized in same database.  This is what we get:

http://corpslocks.usace.army.mil/lpwb/f?p=121:1

Notice the advisory at bottom, they are never ending.  Really?  Since May 2017?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 hours ago, Luka said:

Been through a change?  I'm the one that makes them.  

And my software is perfect.  It's you users that are buggy.

19 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

"lifers" are the death of any business.

Because some of the astute ones can't be manipulated, used, and paid low wages.

It's all about getting fresh meat in and turnover, not loyalty.

People who don't know their azz from a hole in the ground, usually the Bean counters, desk jockeys pulling the reports are the ones trying to reinvent the wheel.

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

“I have this problem when I click here”

”Don’t click there. Problem solved”

There's always jokers that do nothing but ruin good systems just for the sake of something new

part of life, make sure your private and leisure life aren't infiltrated by these egg-sucking weasels

We are in the midst of an ERP system change.  It's a massive undertaking but it will be nice to put an old AS400 system in the rearview mirror and move into the 20th century....

16 hours ago, Luka said:

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Do you field call and e-mail complaints?
"Well, in the old system I could do this this way..."

That phrase inspired this thread lol

I'd say that anyone who has worked a desk job for at least 6 months has gone through it.  The most basic one that comes to mind is the thousand different versions of Word that we've all gone through.