Going for broke playoff game plan

Ga boy

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Can’t hit a target if you refuse to aim at a target or pull the trigger..... just sayin!?!

Not really sure what that means but I’d prefer a throw away to an INT. I prefer to complete 62.6% of your passes to 49%. I prefer my QB to throw an INT 1 out of every 105 passes instead of 1 out of every 9.8 passes. To each his own I guess. 

You know those DirecTv commercials where the people like running into glass doors, getting their seat kicked on the airplane, etc? That’s pretty much Bills fans that like Peterman. “Some people like 5 INTs in a half from their QB, for everyone else there is DirecTV.”

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Just out of curiosity what exactly will posting plays and ideas on here actually accomplish? 

Not that I'm adding to the OP's point, but it provokes thought and discussion, which is why the majority of people who come to the site are here. That is what it accomplishes. I don't post very often but I am an avid reader of the site and enjoy the many different views offered from everyone. Just my opinion and .02

1 hour ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Just out of curiosity what exactly will posting plays and ideas on here actually accomplish? 

This posting might be more relevant if we get to play the Pats.  We will need to pull out all the stops.  I would just hate to see us get this far, and then be left with a lot of "would'ves" and "could'ves".

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not really sure what that means but I’d prefer a throw away to an INT. I prefer to complete 62.6% of your passes to 49%. I prefer my QB to throw an INT 1 out of every 105 passes instead of 1 out of every 9.8 passes. To each his own I guess. 

You know those DirecTv commercials where the people like running into glass doors, getting their seat kicked on the airplane, etc? That’s pretty much Bills fans that like Peterman. “Some people like 5 INTs in a half from their QB, for everyone else there is DirecTV.”

Past is not necessarily prologue, unless we are talking about TTS inability to win with his arm from behind.

At some point he was going to have to face a good D and do it.

Methinks this is the week

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Past is not necessarily prologue, unless we are talking about TTS inability to win with his arm from behind.

At some point he was going to have to face a good D and do it.

Methinks this is the week

So the past matters sometimes if it fits a particular narrative but other times it should be excluded? That’s so Billsy!! Either way Tyrod is 8,000,000 times better than Peterman (which is mind-blowing that some people still can’t understand). The fact that people still argue about it makes me feel dumber and is embarassing for our fan base.  Fortunately the Bills came to their senses.

Average starting QB > 5th round rookie that threw 5 picks in 1 half.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This has been nagging me since Dalton’s Throw. Waaay back last century, Levy & Co. had film packages on all probable playoff opponents, with specific schemes or plays they were vulnerable to. I’m concerned this wasn’t even considered at OBD, given the unlikeliness of playing this week -especially against a team they haven’t faced. They’ll never admit to it, but if all they have are typical opponents game tape from other sources, it’ll be a long day. I agree, Steptide, there has to be specific creativity implemented into this game plan -or we’re toast. 

One thing we haven’t seen from our ultra-conservative Coach is trick plays. Flee-flickers, fake FG’s, fake punts, etc. This would surprise US as well as Jacksonville.

Couldn't the same 'film study critique' be used against Jax too? They didn't expect to see us so they may not be ready for the offensive juggernaut that is the Buffalo Bills? 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

It's not usually a good idea to go into a playoff game with plays you haven't been practicing and using all year.  Just sayin'...

I mean, perhaps a wrinkle or two but they are who they are.  It's going to be tough to score against the Jags' D.

I remember, years ago, at the beginning of Dallas' strong teams of the early 90s, they were playing against the Lions in the first round of the playoffs.   1991 I think?  Anyways, Detroit had been all barry sanders all the time all season long.  Dallas had created their whole defensive game plan around him.  Detroit came out throwing, and threw all game, and won big.  Dallas had no answer because nobody expected Detroit to throw.   I'd love to see the bills throw that kind of wrinkle in, to the extent possible.

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I remember, years ago, at the beginning of Dallas' strong teams of the early 90s, they were playing against the Lions in the first round of the playoffs.   1991 I think?  Anyways, Detroit had been all barry sanders all the time all season long.  Dallas had created their whole defensive game plan around him.  Detroit came out throwing, and threw all game, and won big.  Dallas had no answer because nobody expected Detroit to throw.   I'd love to see the bills throw that kind of wrinkle in, to the extent possible.

yea if Erik Kramer can light up the Cowboys D in 91, why can't Tyrod do it in '18 to the Jaguars!!??? 

I like your thinking guy

6 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

If we do that against this D we lose. Pure and simple. Their corners beat our receivers every day of the week. There is a route for the Bills to win this game.... but it is unsexy. Run it, punt it, kick FGs, do not turn it over and generate at least 1 or 2 TOs on defense. 

I appreciate that fans don't want to watch that but it is the best route to a W. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If we do that against this D we lose. Pure and simple. Their corners beat our receivers every day of the week. There is a route for the Bills to win this game.... but it is unsexy. Run it, punt it, kick FGs, do not turn it over and generate at least 1 or 2 TOs on defense. 

I appreciate that fans don't want to watch that but it is the best route to a W. 

so get 2 TEs out into mid range patterns, RBs out of the backfield, screens, whatever.  and it doesnt have to be 100% of any single strategy.  move the chains, control the ball, keep it close, then rely on the fact that Blake Bortles is still Blake Bortles

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

so get 2 TEs out into mid range patterns, RBs out of the backfield, screens, whatever.  and it doesnt have to be 100% of any single strategy.  move the chains, control the ball, keep it close, then rely on the fact that Blake Bortles is still Blake Bortles

They're going to have to get out to a lead and maintain it if they have any chance of winning. Playing from behind is when the Bills and Tyrod are at their worst. And we absolutely cannot fall behind at any point in the 4th quarter... Even if it's only by a FG, that has proven insurmountable too many times.

23 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I like the idea of some new short passing plays that we haven't shown on film with TT rolling out.  Forget about Shady running b/c they'll shut that down in a skinny minute.

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And it's pretty much teh same strategy that the jag's have used all year.  They beat pittsburgh with 2 pick sixes.  Other than that they played boring football and bullied lesser opposition.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know everyone loves passing.... but the Jags have the best corner tandem in the league and two really good safeties too. With or without Shady Buffalo needs to run the ball early and often this week. If they can find creative ways to get Tyrod involved in the run game I am all for it. No point protecting him at this stage... run him till he pukes!

While I totally get what you are saying, keep in mind that Taylors top receivers are his RB's and TE, both guys who wont see much of those great CB's of the Jags.  So I am actually not that concerned about the Corners because I think Taylors game can help him stay away from them and we already know TT is careful with the ball.  Plus, KB is a big WR, so thats the ideal counter to a talented cover DB who can use his size to gain position too.  

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

And it's pretty much teh same strategy that the jag's have used all year.  They beat pittsburgh with 2 pick sixes.  Other than that they played boring football and bullied lesser opposition.

Yep.  They force turnovers and we with out conservative game plan rarely turn it over.  So if we don't turn it over we remove one of their ways to win.  I think it is in our interest for this to be a boring field position football game. 

Here's the thing about the playoffs.  trends don't mean all that much.  The Bills run D only needs to show up and be stout for one game.  can it happen? Yes.  Tyrod and the passing game only needs to be on point this week...that's all that matters.  So screw the trends.  The Bills know what Jax likes to do and the Jags know what the Bills like to do.  

It's an NFL game, so as usual the two most important stats during the game will be turnover ratio (can't turn it over obviously) and which team does better at 3rd down conversions.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep.  They force turnovers and we with out conservative game plan rarely turn it over.  So if we don't turn it over we remove one of their ways to win.  I think it is in our interest for this to be a boring field position football game. 

Bortles has been better about taking care of the football over the course of the season, but Tyrods main turnovers come from fumbles and blindside sacks.  This team has a really good pass rush so it's a crapshoot.  I think the 9 point spread is a bit generous, but who knows, we can't score 2nd half points lately.