Going for broke playoff game plan

Ga boy

It's not usually a good idea to go into a playoff game with plays you haven't been practicing and using all year.  Just sayin'...

I mean, perhaps a wrinkle or two but they are who they are.  It's going to be tough to score against the Jags' D.

8 hours ago, Steptide said:

I think the bills offense has to be creative. The jags defense will destroy our line if we're not careful. Bills coaches better have something up their sleeves 

This has been nagging me since Dalton’s Throw. Waaay back last century, Levy & Co. had film packages on all probable playoff opponents, with specific schemes or plays they were vulnerable to. I’m concerned this wasn’t even considered at OBD, given the unlikeliness of playing this week -especially against a team they haven’t faced. They’ll never admit to it, but if all they have are typical opponents game tape from other sources, it’ll be a long day. I agree, Steptide, there has to be specific creativity implemented into this game plan -or we’re toast. 

One thing we haven’t seen from our ultra-conservative Coach is trick plays. Flee-flickers, fake FG’s, fake punts, etc. This would surprise US as well as Jacksonville.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

They could line Peterman up Next to TT and When TT gets too nervous, he hands the ball to Peterman ( who would still have his eyes down field, unlike somebody..... noTT naming names) and he could actually throw passes into tight windows; which I hate to tell you guys is all theJags D is going to show us.

If he could complete 5 passes in a half to the Chargers imagine how often he will hit Ramsey and Bouye?!? The guy has a 49% completion percentage!! Why do you think he will fit the ball in tight windows?!? 

9 hours ago, Ga boy said:

It may be time to go for broke with a game plan.  If not this week, then certainly against the Pats.  If Shady can't go, then we should go for broke against Jags.  Show'em something they haven't seen on film.  Be creative and describe some innovative, winning plays.  My initial contribution is to put Kyle and Milano in to be blocking fullbacks to protect TT so that he can roll out and hit swing passes to slanting wide receivers or keep it and run to the edges.  Ditch the pocket passer experiment, and let Tyrod be Tyrod.  Share your creative plays.

Tyrod loose.png

I'm sure the Jags game plan will be to keep Tyrod contained in the pocket. Bills have to take some shots deep. Also incorporate some passes to the RBs against their LBs. Pick on Poz.

The Bills are going to have to use Tyrod’s legs if Shady isn’t playing. They also need to take some shots. I know that I sound like a broken record complaining about speed but the Bills aren’t going to have a bunch of 15 play drives vs. the Jags. They are going to need to strike with some big plays and take advantage of short fields. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

Other than Kyle at halfback, I can't think of any creative plays that were rolled out this year.  Did Shady throw a pass in a game??  Seem to remember that he did.   I've seen Brady do some in playoffs.  To have a chance, I think we need something other than same ol same ol.  What would be counter to teams trying to make TT be a QB??

It's the playoffs.  Every game is a go for broke game    

Win or go home.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know everyone loves passing.... but the Jags have the best corner tandem in the league and two really good safeties too. With or without Shady Buffalo needs to run the ball early and often this week. If they can find creative ways to get Tyrod involved in the run game I am all for it. No point protecting him at this stage... run him till he pukes!

I get what you are saying .... isn't that what the Jags are expecting?   

That is why I think they need a very efficient passing game in all 4 QTRs.   UNLEASH the BEAST! 

Shady may be out there as a decoy.    He can run downfield but his cut and turn will be limited with a heavily taped ankle.   

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills are going to have to use Tyrod’s legs  of Shady isn’t playing. They also need to take some shots. I know that I sound like a broken record complaining about speed but the Bills aren’t going to have a bunch of 15 play drives vs. the Jags. They are going to need to strike with some big plays and take advantage of short fields. 

Equally a Jags team QB'd by the Bortles of the past 2 games rather than the previous 3 and with Fournette averaging under 4 yards a carry are not gonna have too many long scoring drives vs our defense either.  This is going to be a tight, conservative, field position and kicking battle.  Hauschka and Schmidt are going to need to bring their A games, Special Teams will be huge.  I'd be shocked if either team scored more than 20 points. 

I think the Bills have a shot because it may well come down to turnovers. If the Bills can force a couple and protect the ball themselves they will win. 

• Like (+1) 2

Lots of read option with 5-10 yard passing routes. Take a shot to Thompson down field every now and again to keep them honest on the back end. Hopefully Shady is at least 80% by Sunday and can contribute. We have a tall task at hand, but hopefully Bortles is off come Sunday and makes some errors the defense capitalizes on. 

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I get what you are saying .... isn't that what the Jags are expecting?   

If we make our offensive game plan a matchup between Kelvin Benjamin and Deonte Thompson against AJ Bouye and Jalen Ramsey - we lose 99 times out of 100.  They might be expecting us to run it but it is the kind of game where three runs and a punt is not going to kill you.  I know that isn't what fans want to hear.... but they have to think about their most probable route to victory over this opponent.  That route is not throwing at the best corner tandem in the national football league.  I'd use Clay and O'Leary on some misdirection and attack the middle of the field some in the passing game but their safeties are pretty good too and even that will be tough sledding. 

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don’t see our coaches doing anything different. They’ve been conservative all year and it’s gotten them in the playoffs. Why would they change? They will nurse a 6 point lead in the 4th if we’re winning. I can only take solace in knowing that Bortles isn’t the type of QB to lead a comeback effort. 

Correct, defense FGs and don't turn ball over

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he could complete 5 passes in a half to the Chargers imagine how often he will hit Ramsey and Bouye?!? The guy has a 49% completion percentage!! Why do you think he will fit the ball in tight windows?!? 

Why not.  I seem to recall he was one of the cult of EJ members who said  that the famous training camp hospitality tent bomb from EJ was all on the receiver ;-)

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If we make our offensive game plan a matchup between Kelvin Benjamin and Deonte Thompson against AJ Bouye and Jalen Ramsey - we lose 99 times out of 100.  They might be expecting us to run it but it is the kind of game where three runs and a punt is not going to kill you.  I know that isn't what fans want to hear.... but they have to think about their most probable route to victory over this opponent.  That route is not throwing at the best corner tandem in the national football league.  I'd use Clay and O'Leary on some misdirection and attack the middle of the field some in the passing game but their safeties are pretty good too and even that will be tough sledding. 

We have the best backfield Trio in the league.  ;)

Poyer, White and Hyde!!! 

The Bills Defense needs to stop the run and pressure Bortles.  

I posted about this in another thread. Yes, we have to show some trickery. We’ve only shown ultra-conservative play calling all year. No one, least of all the Jags, are expecting HB Options, Fake FG’s, Fake punts, flee-flickers or even Wildcat. I’m positive we’ll catch them off guard if we do.

34 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Why not.  I seem to recall he was one of the cult of EJ members who said  that the famous training camp hospitality tent bomb from EJ was all on the receiver ;-)

Saw Louis Riddick on Golic and Wingo and he was saying that the most overrated quality in today’s NFL is guys throwing into tight windows. He was saying that it is seldom necessary as the rules have allowed guys to get open. Teams aren’t trying to “fit balls in.” They are trying to throw it to open guys. That list earlier of % of throws into tight windows was telling. Some of the guys that do it the least are Jimmy G, Goff and Rodgers.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can’t hit a target if you refuse to aim at a target or pull the trigger..... just sayin!?!