When Cinci scored. What happened?

I was sitting on the couch with my wife, my kid and his buddy Randy.  It was 4th down and the season to go.  There's no hope in sight.  You know what happened.  But what happened next is my phone rang, and it was my old friend Todd Grove.  I answered, "There's still time," and Todd hung up.  Because the last time Todd called me near the end of a Bills game was 1999 when he called after the Bills scored the go-ahead touchdown against the Titans.  When he called back then I said, "There are 16 seconds left, Todd.  They will figure out a way to screw this up."  You know what happened.  

After the Cinci touchdown and Todd's call, I stared at the TV thinking....wondering if there was another b.s. miracle to come in the next 30 seconds.  No true Bills fan believed the game was over until the final seconds ticked off.  A second later, Todd called and we had a nice chat.  He's from the area, graduating from Lew-Port.  I'm a NW guy myself....been a fan since the mid 60's.  Now I'm in my mid 60's and I am very happy to say I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills.  It is a disease for which there is no cure.  It is in my blood and nothing can change that.  Some might say that the only cure is to win a Super Bowl.  I hope to find out.  

• Like (+1) 2

I had the same feeling (it's not over until it's over). My wife doesn't know this feeling, since she's not a Bills fan, so she was caught off guard by my reluctance to celebrate.

Back to the beginning of the 4th down play. Cincy had one WR in the right slot. Baltimore backed off into their zone, leaving tons of space for Boyd, and I thought "shoot, they're baiting Dalton to throw there and he's gonna fall for it."

Then Cincy motions another WR to the same slot, has him run a crossing pattern, bring Weddle down with him, Dalton hits the hole in the zone and the rest is history. Props to Lazor for a good play, Dalton and Boyd for executing that play (and Baltimore for not being able to adjust).

GO BILLS!!

10 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I was sitting on the couch with my wife, my kid and his buddy Randy.  It was 4th down and the season to go.  There's no hope in sight.  You know what happened.  But what happened next is my phone rang, and it was my old friend Todd Grove.  I answered, "There's still time," and Todd hung up.  Because the last time Todd called me near the end of a Bills game was 1999 when he called after the Bills scored the go-ahead touchdown against the Titans.  When he called back then I said, "There are 16 seconds left, Todd.  They will figure out a way to screw this up."  You know what happened.  

After the Cinci touchdown and Todd's call, I stared at the TV thinking....wondering if there was another b.s. miracle to come in the next 30 seconds.  No true Bills fan believed the game was over until the final seconds ticked off.  A second later, Todd called and we had a nice chat.  He's from the area, graduating from Lew-Port.  I'm a NW guy myself....been a fan since the mid 60's.  Now I'm in my mid 60's and I am very happy to say I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills.  It is a disease for which there is no cure.  It is in my blood and nothing can change that.  Some might say that the only cure is to win a Super Bowl.  I hope to find out.  

I immediately thought of the 70-yard TD bomb Flacco threw to Jacoby Jones with 40 seconds left in the 2012 playoff game against Denver. 

• Like (+1) 1

My Sunday Ticket feed malfunctioned right before the play.  So I quickly went to NFL.com to see what was going on - and started yelling in celebration!

My wife and daughter kept asking what happened.  But I wouldn't answer because, well, we're snake-bitten Bills fans and a lot can go wrong in a half of a minute.  I didn't want to say anything that could jinx these next few moments.  

I was as quiet as a Trappist monk until the clock ran down to zero seconds.  Then I jumped up and yelled some more.

My wife had put our 2 year old to bed and began feeding our baby. Right as the coverage switched to Baltimore, the 2 year old comes running our room. Rather than taking him back and fighting with him to get back to bed, I just picked him up and said "alright buddy, you might get to witness the first Bills playoff berth in forever. I'll put you to bed later". Next thing you know, Boyd is running into the endzone and my tired/confused toddler is jumping up and down with me without knowing why!

• Like (+1) 1

I was in the Tampa airport flying back to Pittsburgh.  Oddly, I was at a sports bar near my gate with what must have been a flight to Buffalo.  Got there just at the end of the game.  The "Shout' song broke out shortly after Cincy won!

55 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

oh, to answer your question: after the Cincy TD 1/2 the people were nervous, the other 1/2 appeared to be celebrating.  But when Ravens drive began, it was silent until the game was over.  I really expected Ravens to pull off a win and see some sort of jerky smile on Flacco and Harbaugh's faces.  

What happened?

The Bengals celebrated........

They kicked the extra point then lined up and kicked the ball back to the Ravens who were unable to score again giving them the victory.

There was a lot of celebrating in the visitors locker room in Miami and in Buffalo. Probably a lot of tantrums and frustration in Baltimore I would assume.....

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that Flacco would hit on the Hail Mary.  I told my wife to watch for that to happen....it's the Bills fan life.  

Then he was sacked.

Prior to the drive starting, I used reverse psychology.  I cursed Andy Dalton as he walked on the field and into the huddle.  I told him (actually the TV) that he sucked, he wasn't going to make the play(s) needed for us to get into the playoffs and you're going to let down millions of Bills fans.  In the last 17 years, every time I would give or have hope...the rug was pulled from under me.  Well I tried something different...it worked.  You're welcome Buffalo.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

When the Bengals scored, I was standing outside the Bills bar in San Francisco watching through the window ready to trudge home. I was full of skepticism, but the flags on the Ravens and the go for broke attitude of the Bengals had my attention. They scored and multiple people ran out to hug me and I thought I was going to get knocked down and actually hurt. It was mayhem. There was something like 44 seconds left, so I was still very wary. After the Bengals-Ravens game ended, I was still worried something weird would pop up and we wouldn't get in. I'm trained to expect the worst after all these years. Maybe it is time to throw away my skepticism? It seems like the curse is now broken. 

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My Sunday Ticket feed malfunctioned right before the play.  So I quickly went to NFL.com to see what was going on - and started yelling in celebration!

My wife and daughter kept asking what happened.  But I wouldn't answer because, well, we're snake-bitten Bills fans and a lot can go wrong in a half of a minute.  I didn't want to say anything that could jinx these next few moments.  

I was as quiet as a Trappist monk until the clock ran down to zero seconds.  Then I jumped up and yelled some more.

In DC the Bengals vs Ravens were on local  TV - the second DTV went from the end of the Bills game  to airing  BvR I switched to local TV.   Didn't miss a beat.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that Flacco would hit on the Hail Mary.  I told my wife to watch for that to happen....it's the Bills fan life.  

Then he was sacked.

Prior to the drive starting, I used reverse psychology.  I cursed Andy Dalton as he walked on the field and into the huddle.  I told him (actually the TV) that he sucked, he wasn't going to make the play(s) needed for us to get into the playoffs and you're going to let down millions of Bills fans.  In the last 17 years, every time I would give or have hope...the rug was pulled from under me.  Well I tried something different...it worked.  You're welcome Buffalo.

We probably lose without that courageous decision 

25 minutes ago, Leftyman said:

My mom a Bills fan all her life passed away Wednesday night at 86.

I have no doubt she enginered the 4th and 12 touchdown pass. 

Thanks mom. 

I bet she did too because you don't stop becoming a Bill fan in the afterlife....you stay one for eternity.  You just do.

Sorry for your loss, I hope this curse break helped through this difficult time.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1