Bills 1st round picks currently sit at #21 and #25

We are a playoff caliber team this year and it opens us up to go a lot of ways this draft.

Think how good we can be collecting talent and not pressing to find the savior of our franchise. We can build up the O and Dline and LB positions and still take a QB that slides in the first or second. 

I would be stoked for Allen falling to us, though I doubt it. Mayfield would fit in our range too. Then we can sit them behind Tyrod for at least another year and let our revamped lines take this playoff team to the next level next year!

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Tre White was drafted 27th. Reuben Foster 31st. Ryan Ramcyzk 32nd. 

We can find good contributors late in the first. Let's enjoy the playoffs!

Without a doubt we will be getting 2 good players in the first round. Question is do we draft a QB?

I give the new admin kudos for a very solid draft. Not saying Beane overstepped the bounds but no doubt Coach was very much clued into Carolina's thinking. The trades, while surprising, have been vindicated. The FA acquisitions have proven extremely astute. Heading into the 2018 draft with lots of ammo it is reasonable to think (and hope) that they will again do well. It will be very interesting to see how they approach it. For example, this class is not strong across the board, but it is very strong at the RB position. There are four or five guys who have day one starter or even franchise back potential. Given that they already have an elite back who needs his carries do they spend a second on Love or Penny or look to fill the backup role with a serviceable but lesser player without feature back potential? 

The mega question of course is how they plan to deal with the team's needs at the all important position. Do they dedicate their draft to picking a QB or address the many other needs and find an alternative via trades or FA? 

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I give the new admin kudos for a very solid draft. Not saying Beane overstepped the bounds but no doubt Coach was very much clued into Carolina's thinking. The trades, while surprising, have been vindicated. The FA acquisitions have proven extremely astute. Heading into the 2018 draft with lots of ammo it is reasonable to think (and hope) that they will again do well. It will be very interesting to see how they approach it. For example, this class is not strong across the board, but it is very strong at the RB position. There are four or five guys who have day one starter or even franchise back potential. Given that they already have an elite back who needs his carries do they spend a second on Love or Penny or look to fill the backup role with a serviceable but lesser player without feature back potential? 

The mega question of course is how they plan to deal with the team's needs at the all important position. Do they dedicate their draft to picking a QB or address the many other needs and find an alternative via trades or FA? 

They did draft well (Zay Jones will determine how well, imo.)  We were very fortunate this year and the AFC is filled with weak teams.  I am pleased we are in the playoffs, but if Beane and McD want to make a habit of it, franchise qb has to be the priority.  We need considerable help elsewhere, but nothing trumps qb.  You can argue Cousins is an above average alternative to the draft.  I would at least inquire about Andrew Luck.  I am not terribly keen on Cousins or Alex Smith, but it's a feasible stategy if you don't have to trade a lot of draft capital to get them.  Rosen and Darnold will cost too much to move up.  Mayfield might cost too much, but he's the guy I like at the position outside of the top two.  Sony Michel and Nick Chubb will be available in the second, maybe third round at rb, in addition to Love and Penny.  

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They did draft well (Zay Jones will determine how well, imo.)  We were very fortunate this year and the AFC is filled with weak teams.  I am pleased we are in the playoffs, but if Beane and McD want to make a habit of it, franchise qb has to be the priority.  We need considerable help elsewhere, but nothing trumps qb.  You can argue Cousins is an above average alternative to the draft.  I would at least inquire about Andrew Luck.  I am not terribly keen on Cousins or Alex Smith, but it's a feasible stategy if you don't have to trade a lot of draft capital to get them.  Rosen and Darnold will cost too much to move up.  Mayfield might cost too much, but he's the guy I like at the position outside of the top two.  Sony Michel and Nick Chubb will be available in the second, maybe third round at rb, in addition to Love and Penny.  

JMO but I'm not worried about Zay. Call me crazy but I'm confident that he will be very good working from the slot, starting next year.

I'm a little unsure about this year's QB class. Good chance Rosen is the # 1 pick. If not he's on his way to the Big Apple IMO. If Darnold declares and falls a spot or two there's a real possibility we put together a big package of picks to move up. I worry about Mayfield's height and how that transitions. I think Rudolph will be mediocre. I'm not sold on Jackson's competency as a passer but it's not like I've seen him all year (just the Taxslayer ugh). If we stand pat and Allen is there at the backend of the first round I would jump without hesitation - but I think we'd have to move up and in any event he's not ready to start. Further down in the draft I actually like the Ferguson kid in Memphis. But we already have a (sort of) comparable developmental player on the roster. 

I really wonder if the braintrust is seriously considering a trade or FA. Irsay's is such a dufus I could see him getting rid of Luck and drafting a replacement. Luck would come with a 77 million price tag for four years, 30 guaranteed and no roster bonus. Then of course you would have to send a player(s) or pick(s), but I think the asking might be less than what one might expect. 

Then of course the situation in Minni bears watching. What are they going to do. Keenum has been great but they would need to extend him. Bradford and Bridgewater are UFAs. Bradford was playing his best ever ball before injury. They declined Bridgewater's 5th year option. Coming back from injury are they prepared to commit to him long term? 

Personally I think the Bills O could be pretty good with Alex Smith under centre given the level he has been playing at. Is it Mahomes time in KC. Many say yes and Alex is not a backup.

Will be fascinating to see how all this will play out.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but I'm not worried about Zay. Call me crazy but I'm confident that he will be very good working from the slot, starting next year.

I'm a little unsure about this year's QB class. Good chance Rosen is the # 1 pick. If not he's on his way to the Big Apple IMO. If Darnold declares and falls a spot or two there's a real possibility we put together a big package of picks to move up. I worry about Mayfield's height and how that transitions. I think Rudolph will be mediocre. I'm not sold on Jackson's competency as a passer but it's not like I've seen him all year (just the Taxslayer ugh). If we stand pat and Allen is there at the backend of the first round I would jump without hesitation - but I think we'd have to move up and in any event he's not ready to start. Further down in the draft I actually like the Ferguson kid in Memphis. But we already have a (sort of) comparable developmental player on the roster. 

I really wonder if the braintrust is seriously considering a trade or FA. Irsay's is such a dufus I could see him getting rid of Luck and drafting a replacement. Luck would come with a 77 million price tag for four years, 30 guaranteed and no roster bonus. Then of course you would have to send a player(s) or pick(s), but I think the asking might be less than what one might expect. 

Then of course the situation in Minni bears watching. What are they going to do. Keenum has been great but they would need to extend him. Bradford and Bridgewater are UFAs. Bradford was playing his best ever ball before injury. They declined Bridgewater's 5th year option. Coming back from injury are they prepared to commit to him long term? 

Personally I think the Bills O could be pretty good with Alex Smith under centre given the level he has been playing at. Is it Mahomes time in KC. Many say yes and Alex is not a backup.

Likely you'll see in the off-season he gains about 20 pounds of muscle.  Last few weeks he faded even more, but also may have been due to hitting the rookie wall.  Playing six months straight at a much more intense level every day is more than you see in college.

I really don’t want another cast off FA QB. We need to hit on one in the draft.  In addition, need DT, OLB, CB.  Most likely an OG and RB as well. First four picks should be QB, DT, OLB and CB.

Will be nice to have a healthy Shaq, Glenn and Benjamin to start the season!

2 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

It's more like we found a team able to lead this QB to the playoffs.

Right. You were also one of those guys that shouted “we’re tanking” and predicting a 4-12 season back on Aug 30th.

But now the team is suddenly good..except for TT of course. He’s holding back this star-studded, pro-bowl filled roster which is just overflowing with high-end talent; especially on the offensive side of the ball. The likes of D. Thompson, Zay Jones, Stone-Hands Clay, Tate, Ducasse, Mills, and Tolbert all prop up our lowly QB. He should be honored to be in the presence of such greatness. Lets also not forget about the offensive genius that runs this offense. Dennison runs circles around the McVay’s of the world. 

You’re completely right. We made the playoffs in spite of TT. Lets start Peterman. 

My first choice for the next QB of the Buffalo Bills is playing in the Rose Bowl tonight at 5pm...... Baker Mayfield

I know many originally thought he was a late 1st or even a 2nd round pick, but I am guaranteeing you that he is going to be picked a lot higher than most think.  We'll probably have to trade to get him.  While I wouldn't hesitate to do it, I am not sure if the Bills will feel the same way, unfortunately.  But man, we should do everything we can to get him.  He's got a really tough match-up tonight, but if he does play as well as I think he will, he will solidify himself as one of the top QBs in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Right. You were also one of those guys that shouted “we’re tanking” and predicting a 4-12 season back on Aug 30th.

But now the team is suddenly good..except for TT of course. He’s holding back this star-studded, pro-bowl filled roster which is just overflowing with high-end talent; especially on the offensive side of the ball. The likes of D. Thompson, Zay Jones, Stone-Hands Clay, Tate, Ducasse, Mills, and Tolbert all prop up our lowly QB. He should be honored to be in the presence of such greatness. Lets also not forget about the offensive genius that runs this offense. Dennison runs circles around the McVay’s of the world. 

You’re completely right. We made the playoffs in spite of TT. Lets start Peterman. 

I never said we were going 4-12 but I was anti Tyrod because I strangely like a QB who can throw the ball.

I like this.  I have been disappointed in the college QBs at the same time starting to like Tyrod more.  Now, maybe Tyrod starts next year and we take a QB round 2.  Go defense in round 1.  Maybe even trade down for a 2nd and 3rd.

However, if we can get Rosen, Mayfield, or Rudolph, then my opinion changes.

Edited by PIZ

12 minutes ago, sven233 said:

My first choice for the next QB of the Buffalo Bills is playing in the Rose Bowl tonight at 5pm...... Baker Mayfield

I know many originally thought he was a late 1st or even a 2nd round pick, but I am guaranteeing you that he is going to be picked a lot higher than most think.  We'll probably have to trade to get him.  While I wouldn't hesitate to do it, I am not sure if the Bills will feel the same way, unfortunately.  But man, we should do everything we can to get him.  He's got a really tough match-up tonight, but if he does play as well as I think he will, he will solidify himself as one of the top QBs in the draft.

I'm a UGA fan, so I'm really conflicted about the game.  It's impossible, but if we could somehow end up drafting Mayfield and Roquan Smith, this team would start to be a monster.

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I am not really down on Zay, just unsure.  I am actually optimistic your assessment may be correct.  I would grab Allen if he falls to us.  I wouldn't trade up.  Just really like Mayfield.  I think the folks who see Johnny Football 2.0 are just way off, but I'm no expert.  Not crazy about any of the Minnesota qbs.  If we took Allen in the first, I'd want to get a fella like Alex Smith; not sure he'd like it after playing bridge qb for Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Normally I would be concerned about that, but today the world is unicorns and rainbows.

Everything feels so much better not having to lug around that monkey on our backs.

Monkey, after 17 years it was a 800lb Gorilla!

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm a UGA fan, so I'm really conflicted about the game.  It's impossible, but if we could somehow end up drafting Mayfield and Roquan Smith, this team would start to be a monster.

I am not really down on Zay, just unsure.  I am actually optimistic your assessment may be correct.  I would grab Allen if he falls to us.  I wouldn't trade up.  Just really like Mayfield.  I think the folks who see Johnny Football 2.0 are just way off, but I'm no expert.  Not crazy about any of the Minnesota qbs.  If we took Allen in the first, I'd want to get a fella like Alex Smith; not sure he'd like it after playing bridge qb for Mahomes.

True. You might have to do something to make Alex happy a la Shady. Don't know that the Bills would want to do that. 

The only Minni QB I'd be interested in is Teddy, assuming he's good to go, which it seems is the case. 

Want to see how Mayfield does today. If he's 6' I'm good. If he's 5'9" forget it.

Edited by starrymessenger