Tyrod Taylor: Playoff QB

/dev/null

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Tyrod Taylor is stastically, a fine starting QB in the NFL.  The entire world knows this and has been telling us for two years.

But a bunch of armchair forum fans scream that he doesn't pass the eye test because he's not John Elway.  OK, let's see what happens.

Now he's in the playoffs.  In the playoffs at 28 years old by the way, which is meaningful.  I want to keep the guy - I don't get why any sane, rational football fan can hate him all things considered.  Yes, I've watched him too.   

Let me ask you: if the Bills were to offer TT up in trade, what do you think teams would give for him?

3 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Taylor is gone regardless

Dude, what is up with the buzzkill attitude?

Did you cry? "No, that's dumb"

Taylor got us to playoffs "Who cares, he's gone."

It's New Year's Eve/Day, the Bills are in the playoffs. You're allowed to enjoy it tonight.

Or in other words,

Francis.gif

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Let me ask you: if the Bills were to offer TT up in trade, what do you think teams would give for him?

I think it's changing on a daily basis.  If he's on the block then his value certainly increased today, and will only go up if he has a good showing in the playoffs.  If he wins?  Man, we better rethink everything, and if we do try to trade him, minimum 3rd rounder?  Really tough to say and I'm shooting from the hip, but  look at some of the starting QBs in this league.  Mariotta took a huge step back this year, so did Winston, Miami's still rolling with Tannehill?  Is Minnesota just system?  Etc. etc. etc.  Somebody is going to pay for Tyrod.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Tyrod Taylor is stastically, a fine starting QB in the NFL.  The entire world knows this and has been telling us for two years.

But a bunch of armchair forum fans scream that he doesn't pass the eye test because he's not John Elway.  OK, let's see what happens.

Now he's in the playoffs.  In the playoffs at 28 years old by the way, which is meaningful.  I want to keep the guy - I don't get why any sane, rational football fan can hate him all things considered.  Yes, I've watched him too.   

Good for you, you keep him, I don't want anything to do with him. I want a good QB who does a lot of passing.

1 minute ago, Hurricane Marv said:

yes?

Mariotta

Winston

Carr

DAK

nyet

whats this? you think he is better than these guys? you're dreaming.

3 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Good for you, you keep him, I don't want anything to do with him. I want a good QB who does a lot of passing.

Which one of these is not like the others?

Tyrod Taylor is in the playoffs.  Think what you will.  Mariotta is going to set Tennessee back for the next decade, by the way.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That question is not indicative of what a player is worth. 

Worth is relative.  He just took a team to the playoffs that hadn't made them in 17 years.  He's got a (if traded) cheap $10M contract for the season.  That should be worth a decent pick, no?  I mean, Jimmy G was traded for a 2nd without much game film to go on.

Just now, Hurricane Marv said:

I think it's changing on a daily basis.  If he's on the block then his value certainly increased today, and will only go up if he has a good showing in the playoffs.  If he wins?  Man, we better rethink everything, and if we do try to trade him, minimum 3rd rounder?  Really tough to say and I'm shooting from the hip, but  look at some of the starting QBs in this league.  Mariotta took a huge step back this, so did Winston, Miami's still rolling with Tannehill?  Is Minnesota just system?  Etc. etc. etc.  Somebody is going to pay for Tyrod.

Before today I thought that trading him was a pipe dream.  Now I'm thinking the Bills could have some serious suitors and, better yet, be able to direct where he goes.  If they decide to go that route.  Not necessarily saying they should unless they get a better QB.

Just now, Doc said:

Before today I thought that trading him was a pipe dream.  Now I'm thinking the Bills could have some serious suitors and, better yet, be able to direct where he goes.  If they decide to go that route.  Not necessarily saying they should unless they get a better QB.

I just hope they don't get fleeced.  He's not in the future but he clearly has value.

Tyrod Taylor is in the playoffs.  Think what you will.  Mariotta is going to set back Tennessee for the next decade, by the way.

Yep. Our defense was mediocre overall. Stats wise it was at the bottom. We had a pretty poor OL most of the season. Our WR was neither good nor healthy. There was not one game the entire year our WR corps was healthy. Our two best WR were acquired midway through the season. Shady was great because he was Shady and made something out of nothing. Our backups were lousy. Our OC was criminally bad even for Bills homers who don't like to criticize. 

8 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Tyrod Taylor is in the playoffs.  Think what you will.  Mariotta is going to set Tennessee back for the next decade, by the way.

Doubt that

I just hope they don't get fleeced.  He's not in the future but he clearly has value.

It will be tough to trade him, no doubt, but I doubt they get fleeced if they do.  The biggest issue is whether to pay him the $6M roster bonus on 3/18 without knowing if there is a better option out there?  If they pay it to him, their leverage goes up.  The problem is that there are 5, maybe 6, teams in need of a QB, but how many remain after the draft?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It will be tough to trade him, no doubt, but I doubt they get fleeced if they do.  The biggest issue is whether to pay him the $6M roster bonus on 3/18 without knowing if there is a better option out there?  If they pay it to him, their leverage goes up.  The problem is that there are 5, maybe 6, teams in need of a QB, but how many remain after the draft?

To me it's a no brainer. You keep him. You do everything you can to get the guy you like to be the new guy, Rosen or Darnold, even if it takes two ones, two twos, whatever. Or if that is not possible you do everything you can to get the guy you like like Mayfield or Jackson or Rudolph, it doesn't matter. Get the guy you like but keep Tyrod. Let them battle it out in training camp. If the draft pick is anywhere close start him, and then you have the best backup in the league. If he needs some time, play Tyrod for a few games and see how the team responds. 

Taylor is an average QB and Buffalo is likely a 7-10 win team with him.    It could be worse, look at the Peterman start, the 2015 London Jags game and week 17 last year, and that will give you an idea of the difference between average and horrible.

Buffalo would be smart to draft and develop a quarterback, but dumb to ditch Taylor for at least another year or two.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dgrochester55 said:

Taylor is an average QB and Buffalo is likely a 7-10 win team with him.    It could be worse, look at the Peterman start, the 2015 London Jags game and week 17 last year, and that will give you an idea of the difference between average and horrible.

Buffalo would be smart to draft and develop a quarterback, but dumb to ditch Taylor for at least another year or two.  

Except they were a 9-6 team with him. And little help. 

11 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hasnt gotten to 20 yet.      Baby steps 

He's creeping.  The Peterman interrupt threw his stock into disarray, but the talking heads are coming back around.

Look I'm just playing devil's advocate based primarily on non-Buffalo media, but he's now a 28 year old playoff QB with what, 40-50 starts under his belt?  He's a commodity at minimum, and a QB to build around if you're feeling frisky.

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If I'm trading a top 10 QB, which some people think TT is than we should get two 1st rd picks right?

No. Because that never happens. If you were to trade Aaron Donald or JJ Watt or any other player no one gives up two number ones. It's stupid but true. They do for draft picks but not established players. 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

To me it's a no brainer. You keep him. You do everything you can to get the guy you like to be the new guy, Rosen or Darnold, even if it takes two ones, two twos, whatever. Or if that is not possible you do everything you can to get the guy you like like Mayfield or Jackson or Rudolph, it doesn't matter. Get the guy you like but keep Tyrod. Let them battle it out in training camp. If the draft pick is anywhere close start him, and then you have the best backup in the league. If he needs some time, play Tyrod for a few games and see how the team responds. 

I think they should pay him the roster bonus.  Better to have a bird in the hand.  Where it goes from there depends on who, if anyone, they can get to replace/upgrade him, and who still needs a QB and what they're willing to pay.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If I'm trading a top 10 QB, which some people think TT is than we should get two 1st rd picks right?

Eh...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hopefully but he is just holding the seat for Mayfield.

I don't think you got the memo. You have to say his entire name every time, "Baker Mayfield"

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think they should pay him the roster bonus.  Better to have a bird in the hand.  Where it goes from there depends on who, if anyone, they can get to replace/upgrade him, and who still needs a QB and what they're willing to pay.

Yup. It seems like a no brainer. He's not great. He's not the future. You can't trade him for a high pick. But you could do a lot worse.  And he masks a lot of deficiencies. The best possible scenario, which is what all teams should aspire to, is to hit it big in the draft and NOT have to force him in, and also to have a great backup. If we draft a guy like Mayfield or whomever and he wows us, Tyrod is the best backup in the league. 

Congrats Tyrod!

Best case scenario is you keep Taylor, draft the best QB you can in the draft, and let the two of them and Peterman know that its best man plays.

If anyone can manage that scenario as far as the locker room goes, its' McDermott.

I mean, what if you draft a QB and he busts or just takes a while to catch on to the pro game and Peterman proves to not be an answer, then what? Tyrod

is a pretty good insurance policy. 

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

is this a form of fact or a form of your opinion? you'll have to excuse me for asking as I don't know you from adam so you could be or have some inside source to back this up?

I wont say he's gone anymore than he stays, I don't know. I do know that he was/is part of the team that just made the post season, which I am elated about and will give him and the team credit for achieving that goal, even if they had to have help, they did their job today. 

no need to think about where he'll be, just looking forward to sunday and a chance to advance?

Definitely an opinion only. I lean towards extreme skepticism with people posting here claiming inside info.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I want to beat the Jags as bad as anyone on here but let’s see how he looks without Shady ?

As I remember, the Bills have a winning record playing Taylor without McCoy.

They don't have a winning record playing McCoy without Taylor.

The Jags will be such a tall order they need'em both.....

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

I actually think that there are like 10-15 teams in need of a good QB, and something like 25 when you open it up to depth.

The NFL QB landscape is not what it was even 2-3 years ago, and even that excitement about young QBs at the time was largely based on Kaepernick and RG3 who aren't doing **** right now.  Kizer flopped, Trubisky likely will flop, Watson I hope for the best but could flop due to injury.  Fans need to realize how difficult it is to find even legit serviceable QBs and Tyrod checks that box, despite the fact that he so irritatingly hovers around that box, but he's legit.  Josh McCown and Jay Cutler started for division rivals, folks.  Keep Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Dude seriously 

be freaking happy and stop calling people out 

An observation : ......."be freaking happy and stop calling people out"...... doesn't sound very happy, freaking or otherwise.

Just say'n........

Edited by grb

50 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Do I think Taylor is better than Mariota who has 13 TDs to 15 INTs this year? Yes, and if you don't, then that speaks volumes about how dense you are.

Fact - Bills don't make the playoffs if Taylor throws 15 INTs this year. Please tell me otherwise so I can laugh in your face. You clearly know nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. It seems like a no brainer. He's not great. He's not the future. You can't trade him for a high pick. But you could do a lot worse.  And he masks a lot of deficiencies. The best possible scenario, which is what all teams should aspire to, is to hit it big in the draft and NOT have to force him in, and also to have a great backup. If we draft a guy like Mayfield or whomever and he wows us, Tyrod is the best backup in the league. 

It's going to be a tough decision.  If they release him before 3/16, they save $8M on the cap but have no proven QB.  If they trade him post-3/16, it costs them $4M against the cap. 

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Tyrod wins two playoff games and he's the Bills QB next year. Otherwise...I just don't see it. It was obvious with the Chargers game that McDermott wants to go in another direction.

Maybe at that time, but things may have changed.  I doubt he envisioned the Bills making the playoffs after that 3-game stretch, with TT under center. 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Answer this honestly leave out any angst you have for people not in love with TT.   

how many times did you tell throw the damn ball? 

What did you think when TT fumbled the ball? 

The bills are in the playoffs and this is what you are doing. This speaks VOLUMES about you. 

You are PATHETIC, bruh. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Dude seriously 

be freaking happy and stop calling people out 

You totally deserve to be called out. I STILL want a qb drafted early to replace him but your obnoxious and over the top views have always been idiotic and dramatic and now that they break a 17 year drought and you still try bashing the qb says so much about you. 

It’s embarrassing for you. I love how you tell somebody else to “be freaking happy” but still try to bash the qb. 

Busch league. You’re a joke. I said it all week and I’ll say it again. If the bills made the playoffs this week we would see the cream rise to the top on this board. People that would rather be right than see the team win. SHAMEFUL 

EDIT: harsh words here from last night lubed up by too many drinks. I apologize on that front but I stand by the general message of the post. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty