Rodak: Bills Remain Confident in Zay Jones

26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm sure TT would love a rookie like Kupp to throw to.  It's worked wonders for turning Goff's career around so far, no?

As for "finding WRs", both are completing 62% of their passes.

In all honesty the great difference in minds, offensive or defensive, is how fast they see the solutions and make the changes that produce.  From a personel standpoint Milano and Thompson are two players that stepped on the field and produced yet still took 4 or 5 games to move ahead of their far less productive rivals at their positions.  From a play calling perspective Dennison took way to long to start calling plays that work for his players and then in a game to game break down it wouldn't be a stretch to say Dennison might be the worst screen game coach that has ever called a game.  Chan Gailey would have McCoy putting up old Marshal Faulk numbers.  McVay is just much much faster at producing offense.  Luckily for him he has Phillips to take care of the defense and that has been Buffalo's failure time and time again.  Fix one side of the ball and neglect the other and it usually starts with coaching.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....kid will come around.....got the sophomore jinx year out of the way a year early (I HOPE).....probably no one on the planet that feels worse about dropsies after 160 catch season at East Carolina.....

I think so too. He's gonna be a Stevie Johnson type me thinks.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think this was the same thing they said about Shaq this time last year when they cut his snaps.

Zay was the WR that Tyrod had the most experience with for the first half of the season and had really synched up with him but Zay just kept dropping passes.

Tyrod put two perfectly lead nine-route bombs on his hands in recent weeks that would have been walk-in TD's for guys like Watkins or Goodwin and not only were they not TD's........they were flat out DROPPED.

He had a DB close behind.......but that's half of the problem.........he doesn't separate......you can only throw it where he is and hope he catches it.

Awful year for Jones and they would be foolish to pencil him into the top 3 next year...........Josh Reed never got his hands back there is no guarantee that Jones will.  

I can't help but refer to him now as "Drop Zone" Jones.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

How can anyone with a straight face not admit Zay Jones dropped way too many balls he should have caught.

And no I dont even blame him for the alleged drop at the end of the Carolina game, that was a tough catch (not his fault that is assuming Jones was in the right place at the right time)

For a guy who was revered for having “great hands” coming out of college, he definitely looked like he lost confidence early and dropped way too many balls.

That being said, a LOT of his “targets” were poorly thrown balls by the poor QB growing the balls to him.

If you watched Zay in college (even just  the senior bowl) you can see that this dude has stickum for hands.

I expect a big bounce back year from him next season.

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

A good share of the difference in production between Kupp and Jones would seem to be the struggle that Tyrod had in finding any of his WRs compared with Jared Goff's blossoming into a prolific QB in his second year.

It is both.  He has dropped a bunch of balls and/or hasnt been where he was supposed to be a few times as well. However, Tyrod is still bad at connecting with ALL of his wide receivers.

PS and YES Goff is light years better than Tyrod at that (heck in general)

Edited by aceman_16

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Zay has definitely dropped too many passes, a number of which should have been catches for sure. 

But Tyrod really hasn't done him too many favors either. He's thrown quite a few balls Zay's way that really were not catchable passes, despite what some Tyrod apologists around here might say

As far as separation, i've seen Zay struggle at times. But I've also seen him get separation only to see Tyrod look his way and not pull the trigger, not look his way at all or just plain overthrow him. So it works both ways...

Overall, Zay's first year has been a disappointment. He deserves much of the blame, but there is also blame to go around and Tyrod deserves his share. 

Not directed specifically at you, BillsFan4, but I really do loathe the sorting into "apologists/lovers/haters" that takes place here.

TT is what he is.  He's not a top tier QB.  He's not a guy who can put the team on his back and win with his arm.  2015/2016 with a sucktastic D, did show that he can win some games with the right pieces around him, when used in the right way.    Has he looked like crap this year, Yes.  Is part of that how he's being used?  Also Yes.  That really shouldn't make one an "apologist" any more than this:

When I watch a number of other teams with "elite" QB, every game, EVERY SINGLE GAME, I see WR hauling in those "not catchable passes".  the ones they have to come back for, dive to the ground for, jump for, one hand....EVERY SINGLE GAME I see those "really not catchable passes" caught. 

Elite WR, even good WR in the NFL, make some of those catches.  More of those catches than our WR do, and have done for a long time.

13 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

For a guy who was revered for having “great hands” coming out of college, he definitely looked like he lost confidence early and dropped way too many balls.

That being said, a LOT of his “targets” were poorly thrown balls by the poor QB growing the balls to him.

If you watched Zay in college (even just  the senior bowl) you can see that this dude has stickum for hands.

I expect a big bounce back year from him next season.

I agree 100%...i think his biggest asset in college were has hands. After that Carolina "drop" in game 2 I think his confidence took a nosedive, he certainly talked as if he lost the game which I think was noble and the right thing to say but not true.  That was a very difficult catch, either he was not at the right spot at the right time or TT was inaccurate with the throw.  I cant blame his hands for dropping that one.

Peerless Price only had 31 receptions for 393 yards his rookie year.  A few years later, he tallied 94 receptions for 1252 yards. 

Some receivers need time to adjust to the NFL and take their skills to the next level.  

There's little doubt that Taylor has trouble getting the ball to his WRs.  There's equally little doubt that Zay has been unimpressive.  Both are at fault. 

But I'm not ready to give up on Zay just yet.

56 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

In all honesty the great difference in minds, offensive or defensive, is how fast they see the solutions and make the changes that produce.  From a personel standpoint Milano and Thompson are two players that stepped on the field and produced yet still took 4 or 5 games to move ahead of their far less productive rivals at their positions.  From a play calling perspective Dennison took way to long to start calling plays that work for his players and then in a game to game break down it wouldn't be a stretch to say Dennison might be the worst screen game coach that has ever called a game.  Chan Gailey would have McCoy putting up old Marshal Faulk numbers.  McVay is just much much faster at producing offense.  Luckily for him he has Phillips to take care of the defense and that has been Buffalo's failure time and time again.  Fix one side of the ball and neglect the other and it usually starts with coaching.

I agree.  Our OC is inferior.  So it the DC.

Goff was awful last year.  Now with better coaches and talent, he's having a turnaround.  I don't think TT is the same type of QB, nor could he be, but I bet if these teams swapped QBs at the start of the season, we would all be moaning about how the Bills should have never let TT go to LA.....

Trying to evaluate any wide receiver when Tyrod Taylor is the quarterback is a terrible idea. Even more so when it is a rookie. I actually feel bad for the kid because he has lost a year of his career and will basically be starting over next year with a real QB. If he is going to have trouble doing anything, it is going to be adjusting to a true NFL QB who can read a defense and can make the throws any NFL QB should be able to make. I hope he can overcome the damage Tyrod has done.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rodak: Bills remain confident in Zay Jones despite rookie's 'humbling' season

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Zay Jones is tied with Los Angeles Rams receiver Cooper Kupp in having played 712 snaps this season, seventh-most among rookies who play on offense.

But the disparity in production between the two has been striking. Kupp, a third-round pick, has 62 catches for 869 yards and five touchdowns. Jones, a second-round pick, has 25 catches for 291 yards and two touchdowns.

It has been an underwhelming season for the Bills' 32nd-ranked passing offense, and Jones' disappointing performance has been just one part of the losing equation for offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

Lets tell it like it is.

If Zay was a Whaley holdover before McDerma was in the draft room. He would have been cut long ago, or traded, or inactive most weeks, or on practice squad.

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

Lets tell it like it is.

If Zay was a Whaley holdover before McDerma was in the draft room. He would have been cut long ago, or traded, or inactive most weeks, or on practice squad.

Funny how Deonte Thompson came in off the street to make contributions to the team immediately and eventually supplant Zay in the starting lineup.  

No need to make excuses for Zay. He's been a disappointment and that's on him.   Here's to a better 2018 and beyond.