Colt Anderson Activated from IR; Trae Elston Waived & Now Claimed by Miami

26CornerBlitz

48 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

OK, so in your opinion , let me get this straight...while McD was forming his coaching staff and evaluating the roster at hand. As a first time HC in the league hired by the tenured GM, McD was also scanning the list of upcoming FA's available for the upcoming season? Even tho McD's previous stint was DC and a long shot HC candidate, who by all accounts was a bigger long shot after his Panthers defense had an off year stats wise. McD had the wherewithal, to compile a list for the GM to acquire these two players? C'mon man!?  

McD is organized (so they say) but traditionally it is the GM who acquires the players based upon what the HC  requires NOT the other way around...Give credit where it belongs, DW was a pretty good evaluator of talent, he was just not good with finding a franchise QB, a skill most teams in the league are lacking.

By all intent and purpose, why hire Beane if McD is the mastermind and talent evaluator? OBD can use the funds to boost the scouting department...

From everything I've read and heard, it was McDermott who wanted Hyde. 

Hyde even said himself that a big reason he signed here is because McDermott came after him hard as soon as free agency opened. 

McDermott actually started his NFL career in scouting. He's known to have a pretty good eye for talent, especially in the secondary. 

Here's just one article crediting McDermott for scouting and signing Hyde. I've seen numerous more... 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/12/how_did_buffalo_bills_land_micah_hyde_in_free_agency_ask_the_green_bay_packers.html

Sean McDermott was surprised, too. When free agency rolled around, McDermott had been the Buffalo Bills' head coach for just a few months. But while McDermott was the defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers, he had spent plenty of time "T.V. scouting" Hyde whenever he had a chance. He saw a player who could play all over the field, and the two have a mutual friend, so he knew the type of person and leader Hyde could be. So when his first free agency with the Bills rolled around, McDermott put on the tape to see if it would match up with what he'd seen on television. 

"The weird part about it is when I TV scouted him I couldn't get a real feel for what he was until you turn the tape on and see, 'Could he be a full time safety for us?'" McDermott said. 

McDermott and the Bills signed Hyde to a five-year, $32.5 million contract with $14 million in guarantees on the first day of free agency. Through 11 games, Hyde has been one of the best safeties in the NFL. He's second in the league with five interceptions and is leading his position in Pro Bowl votes.

As for a Poyer, it was actually Bob Babich who was the biggest factor in getting him. 

Babich worked with him for 3 years in Cleveland and highly recommended him to McDermott and Frazier. 

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Familiarity-with-Poyer-landed-Bills-a-free-agent-steal/93caa964-472d-49b0-8f59-76362617c3da

Seeing Poyer on an ascending track for their three years together and being a reliable and trustworthy professional, it was easy for Babich, as a new member of Sean McDermott’s staff, to recommend the free agent safety to fill one of the two holes at safety on Buffalo’s roster.

“Why I felt like I could bring his name up and provide the information to all the decision makers was because Jordan Poyer is a trustworthy, reliable player,” Babich said. “You’re going to get the same person with the same consistency every day out of him. I’ve got no problem putting my name on a person like that.”

“He knew a little bit about Jordan, talked to us about him, thought he’d be a guy, looking at our situation here,” said defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. “We were so thin at the [safety] position when we arrived after we evaluated what was on the roster. Jordan was a guy we wanted to take a look at. We thought he might fit what we were trying to get accomplished, so we made the decision to bring him in. Boy, it was a great decision. He’s really stepped up like we were all hoping that he would.”

Not sure if I'd call him a long shot coaching candidate either. He's been on the NFL advisory committee's short list of coaching candidates for a few years now, and I guess Philly actually was going to hire him in 2015. They really wanted an Andy Reid protege and McDermott was at the top of their list, but Carolina made that run to the Super Bowl and I guess Philly didn't want to wait any longer so they went with Doug Pederson (another Reid protege), or so I read anyway... 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

From everything I've read and heard, it was McDermott who wanted Hyde. 

Hyde even said himself that a big reason he signed here is because McDermott came after him hard as soon as free agency opened. 

Here's just one article crediting McDermott for scouting and signing Hyde. I've seen numerous more... 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/12/how_did_buffalo_bills_land_micah_hyde_in_free_agency_ask_the_green_bay_packers.html

As for a Poyer, it was actually Bob Babich who was the biggest factor in getting him. 

Babich worked with him for 3 years in Cleveland and highly recommended him to McDermott and Frazier. 

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Familiarity-with-Poyer-landed-Bills-a-free-agent-steal/93caa964-472d-49b0-8f59-76362617c3da

The point I was trying to make is the HC gives the GM the type of player(s) needed to make his system successful. The GM still has to agree &  go acquire the player...Now the problem would have been if DW didn't agree with the coach & acquired a totally different skill set. This shows that these decisions are more a collaborative thing instead of a dictatorship...thanks for the link. 

GM- Is the talent evaluator

HC- Coaches the talent the GM acquires

7 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont understand the love affair the Bills have with Anderson. He is decent on special teams but why bring him back for one game?

I hear ya.  I was just thinking yesterday about the Bills ‘ needs and thought that they were set at safety with the starters and Elston so maybe they could upgrade the 4th and then they make this move 

9 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

bummer, I like Elston.  Over under on Colt getting injured? I give him 1 quarter.

Totally agree with this.  Anderson in the running for most worthless Bill ever

8 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

These guys were signed by Whaley, NOT Beane but please continue...

You honestly think that? Whaley did what McDermott wanted. McDermott was clearly running the show.

3 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

The point I was trying to make is the HC gives the GM the type of player(s) needed to make his system successful. The GM still has to agree &  go acquire the player...Now the problem would have been if DW didn't agree with the coach & acquired a totally different skill set. This shows that these decisions are more a collaborative thing instead of a dictatorship...thanks for the link. 

GM- Is the talent evaluator

HC- Coaches the talent the GM acquires

Normally yes, but this was a unique situation where the club was planning to move on from the GM, so McDermott had much more control than normal. Whaley had very little say in what happened, and I am sure that whatever he DID do had to be signed and stamped for approval by McDermott.

9 hours ago, yungmack said:

You just can't let the whole race thing go, can you.

Reported.

8 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

OK, so in your opinion , let me get this straight...while McD was forming his coaching staff and evaluating the roster at hand. As a first time HC in the league hired by the tenured GM, McD was also scanning the list of upcoming FA's available for the upcoming season? Even tho McD's previous stint was DC and a long shot HC candidate, who by all accounts was a bigger long shot after his Panthers defense had an off year stats wise. McD had the wherewithal, to compile a list for the GM to acquire these two players? C'mon man!?  

McD is organized (so they say) but traditionally it is the GM who acquires the players based upon what the HC  requires NOT the other way around...Give credit where it belongs, DW was a pretty good evaluator of talent, he was just not good with finding a franchise QB, a skill most teams in the league are lacking.

By all intent and purpose, why hire Beane if McD is the mastermind and talent evaluator? OBD can use the funds to boost the scouting department...

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. But it's not my opinion. It's pretty well-documented.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is all done to take away the benching Tyrod Taylor against San Diego dialogue (JK)  I think on the defensive side I would trust McDerm right now.  Losing Dareus, the two starting corners, and two starting safties from last year as well as Zach Brown and still having a better record shows a record of doing the right thing player wise.  This is the most important game from the year (maybe even the decade) and no doubt this is to fortify STs which hasn't been great.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

You honestly think that? Whaley did what McDermott wanted. McDermott was clearly running the show.

Normally yes, but this was a unique situation where the club was planning to move on from the GM, so McDermott had much more control than normal. Whaley had very little say in what happened, and I am sure that whatever he DID do had to be signed and stamped for approval by McDermott.

Yes!!!

Also, DW was always a team player with the coaches (ultimately his down fall, imo) and the skill set required to run their system...he even mentioned that when Rex took over as HC, how the coach didn't have a prototype to fit his system. Rex just needed "good players" and they would coach them up.

Look, we all have our perceptions of how things are run at OBD but we really DON"T know...you have your opinion and I have mine. Good day!!!

My best guess as to why Anderson continues to stick on this roster would be... he's been a core special teams player with each team he's been on and we all know how much they value guys who can play special teams. He also strikes me as the kind of guy with high FBI, so while he's never had a lot of production on the field, he's probably valuable in the secondary room in terms of watching/breaking down film and interpreting the playbook and gameplans. 

29 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

4-D Chess!!

Dolphins claiming Elston could be shrewd move, not for this game as much as 2018.

I though Elston actually look good in what limited time he had on the field this year.

Besides the one INT he had against Oakland he looked confused out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

4-D Chess!!

Dolphins claiming Elston could be shrewd move, not for this game as much as 2018.

I though Elston actually look good in what limited time he had on the field this year.

Tre can not play vs Bills. It is against the rules. Can not pick up a player from team you are playing so late in the week you are playing them.