Playoff bind is about the Bengals loss - not the Chargers!

BobChalmers

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I know.  I promised a pal on this site to stay out of political conversation.  Every once in a while, I get drawn in at the edges.

As you know, soft totalitarianism works by ostracizing those who engage in speech outside of strictly enforced "tolerance."

Ironically, there's more evidence Russians were helping the gal that got them all that Uranium.

tom brady is a girl.

18j4zk5gwt0xmjpg.jpg

my only hope is the bungles play their butts off in one last hurrah for their coach.....other than that no other way in.....the chargers will not lose against the raiders....no way thats happening.....plus who says its a guarantee we beat miami....

Edited by JPP

If we finish 9-7 and miss the playoff's I think it's safe to say we got pretty unlucky this year.

Yes we did have that terrible 3 game stretch (Jets, Saints, Chargers), but keep in mind we started 5-2, and have actually been playing pretty good of late (won 3 out of 4 before the Pats loss).

I feel Baltimore just got super lucky this year. They played the Packers without Rodgers, and Houston without Watson. If those guys weren't hurt they would have lost at least 1 if not both of those games, and we'd be in the playoffs this year for sure if we finish 9-7.

Edited by Klaista2k

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

I seem to remember AJ green torching us that game.  16 points is 16 points though.

The jets 2nd  game had some bad turnovers, and no run defense.

Our defense had 4 turnovers and we had  3 points out of it.  One of Tyrod's worst game.

12 hours ago, Steptide said:

Serious question, could the bills offer the Bengals a 5th round pick in trade for their best effort to beat the Ravens Sunday? I know this woukd NEVER happen, but I'm curious if you could do this within nfl rules 

No, the Pats have shown you can pay off the refs.  Every time the Ravens score, a penalty gets called against them.

21 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

That's a cool site, but know we get in if we win and the Bengals win regardless of Jags/Titans game. Jags win would just bump us up to 5th seed from the 6th.

We also get in if we win and just the Ravens win, and Titans/Chargers lose.

Yea, if the Bengals win the Bills are in, that's correct. The Jags game just moves them between 5 and 6. 

Lets hope the Bengals can pull off a win. 

I'm telling ya, that 3 game slaughter-fest we endured, is going to come back to haunt us............good teams  just don't lose 3 in a row, especially like that and at what point during that massacre, did we even remotely look like a team that could even potentially contend in a playoff game.

23 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

When you are in the middle of a tight playoff race, you don't change qb. You give yourself a chance to win. Tyrod has beaten the falcons, chiefs, and other decent teams this year.

I am not one to say we would have one, but stop making excuses for baldy.

Yeah I remember TT lighting up the scoreboard and driving us up and down the field like a juggernaut. Shady didn't break out on explosive runs.  Our defense had nothing to do with it all the turnovers and short fields. Hauschmoney. Nope it was all TT the greatest qb that ever lived. Gimme a break

Thankfully someone gets it! This is both a critical loss but also a microcosm of TT's failure. Down 4 late, with about 3 to go. Sack. 2nd and long, typically underneath throw for no gain. 3rd and long INT. 3 AND OUT. 

Did this team lead the league in FGs? Just wondering. TT can't execute a red zone passing game and that was the Achilles heel this season.

They lose that Chargers game with TT, no doubt given the porousness of the D during that stretch and the strength of their pass rush. 

Hoping for TT to be TT Sunday and implode so we can move on. It would be just like his typical 4th quarter.... with it on the line, he's steps on his own.... 

16 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Yeah I remember TT lighting up the scoreboard and driving us up and down the field like a juggernaut. Shady didn't break out on explosive runs.  Our defense had nothing to do with it all the turnovers and short fields. Hauschmoney. Nope it was all TT the greatest qb that ever lived. Gimme a break

This board is loaded with people like you who can't objectively listen to what someone else is saying.

All I literally !@#$ing said is that we have a better chance to win with Ty than 5 picks in one half.

If you can't wrap your head around that, then talk to some more of the geniuses around here that will blindly gobble up the garbage fed to you based on what is cool to agree with at the time.

We didn't score but a single FG, and that was in the 4th QT, against the Panthers.

We couldn't beat the lowly 6-9 Bengals, even though the defense gifted the offense 3 turnovers.

Think about who the Bengals beat besides us, and explain how the Bills are on that list:

1. Browns

2. Colts

3. Broncos

4. Browns

5. Lions

Their best wins are the Lions & the Bills.... That game is a huge factor in the playoff race. There's no shame losing to the Chargers, regardless of who was playing QB. The way we had been playing the past 3 weeks, coupled with how well the Chargers were playing (and they were at home) would've resulted in an L either way. The Bengals game should've never been a loss, and the offense should've been able to do SOMETHING against the Panthers.

5 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

This board is loaded with people like you who can't objectively listen to what someone else is saying.

All I literally !@#$ing said is that we have a better chance to win with Ty than 5 picks in one half.

If you can't wrap your head around that, then talk to some more of the geniuses around here that will blindly gobble up the garbage fed to you based on what is cool to agree with at the time.

I've said before that at this moment right now he is the best option we have at QB. I'm just not thrilled about it and want a new QB next year.

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I've said before that at this moment right now he is the best option we have at QB. I'm just not thrilled about it and want a new QB next year.

Yes. He's the "best" option in that he's a 7 year veteran with 3 years as a starter, and we KNOW who he is.

The other option is a rookie that we know nothing about. 

To act like anyone has any idea of the kind of player Nate Peterman is as an NFL QB is just insane. We didn't then, and we don't now. But the only way to know is to play him & find out. I won't fault McDermott for trying. Tyrod hasn't been good all year.

• Like (+1) 1

In that Bengals game, Cincy's front seven was essentially unblockable - they occupied the backfield on what seemed like every play. The Bills were outplayed as a team in that game. It happens - Cincy isn't that bad and they were playing at home. If I recall, they were favored too. 

Bear in mind that I think SD would have easily handled Buffalo regardless of who started. Rivers was on fire and the Bills' D had no answers.  If Tyrod had started, though, the Chargers wouldn't have put up 50+.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:42 AM, BobChalmers said:

We are already hearing the national media ignorance trying to spin up the story that if the Bills win Sunday but lose the spot b/c the Chargers win that they blew it by benching Tyrod.

The fact is a Bengals win over the Ravens is all they need, and if the Bills had beaten the Bengals themselves it wouldn't be necessary.

The Bills offense was putrid against the Bengals and they lost a very winnable game.

When (and if) the Ravens sweep the Bengals, they will get in by virtue of handling a team the Bills could not.

Sorry...there is no amount spin anyone can put on the colossal MISTAKE to bench TT for the Charger game.  

1. We were at that time the 6th seed in the playoffs and on the road.  
  2. Nathan Peterman is a 5th round draft pick who had only completed 50% of his passes as a Bill so far (thats Tebow-esque)
  3. You have a LOT of veterans on this team who that was going to directly affect who wouldnt be happy about it.
  4. The Chargers were a VERY winnable game and no reason to take a big risk. 

What he SHOULD have done is:

1. Started Tyrod and been prepared to bench him at halftime if the offense was struggling rather than flat out bench him before the start.  NO ONE would have blamed him to try and spark the offense at that point.  And if Peterman finishes the game strong, even in a loss, he had a green light to keep going with the kid.  And if Peterman failed (like he miserably did) he had a green light to go back to TT to try and save the playoff hopes and wouldn't have taken any heat because the halftime swap would have been on the back of struggles.  
  2. He FURTHER COMPOUNDED his mistake by NOT pulling Peterman after his Third interception.  He should have benched him right there when it was 100% apparent to everyone in that stadium (I was there right behind Bills bench) that Peterman was NOT close to being ready.  He was panicking left and right and those 2nd and 3rd INTs were utterly atrocious as were his 4th and 5th.  The OL wasn't good enough to get the kid anytime to regain his composure, and after the 3rd INT the game was still within reach.  The ONLY INT that he doesn't take blame for was the first.  

So sorry...this thread is ridiculous.  The Charger game was a monumental and colossal mistake.  To try and spin that by pointing to another game is absurd.  The Chargers on this board get this fake mythological credit for being a game we lose either way and that is utterly absurd.  The Chargers were 3-2 in the 5 games before the Bills game, losing 2 in a row and also the 3 wins were against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL and they BARELY won those games.  We ARE a better team than the Chargers...period.  

If we miss the playoffs, that complete screw up in SD will be something thats VERY significant and what we did in OTHER games has no merit what so ever to this colossal mistake.  

On 12/26/2017 at 9:01 AM, dneveu said:

Almost won it too - if zay (doesn't botch his route, stumble unforced, and not fail to get his head around to see the pass in time) pulls that pass down.

Fixed :)

ZJ made a lot of mistakes on that play before the pass got there

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry...there is no amount spin anyone can put on the colossal MISTAKE to bench TT for the Charger game.  

1. We were at that time the 6th seed in the playoffs and on the road.  
  2. Nathan Peterman is a 5th round draft pick who had only completed 50% of his passes as a Bill so far (thats Tebow-esque)
  3. You have a LOT of veterans on this team who that was going to directly affect who wouldnt be happy about it.
  4. The Chargers were a VERY winnable game and no reason to take a big risk. 

What he SHOULD have done is:

1. Started Tyrod and been prepared to bench him at halftime if the offense was struggling rather than flat out bench him before the start.  NO ONE would have blamed him to try and spark the offense at that point.  And if Peterman finishes the game strong, even in a loss, he had a green light to keep going with the kid.  And if Peterman failed (like he miserably did) he had a green light to go back to TT to try and save the playoff hopes and wouldn't have taken any heat because the halftime swap would have been on the back of struggles.  
  2. He FURTHER COMPOUNDED his mistake by NOT pulling Peterman after his Third interception.  He should have benched him right there when it was 100% apparent to everyone in that stadium (I was there right behind Bills bench) that Peterman was NOT close to being ready.  He was panicking left and right and those 2nd and 3rd INTs were utterly atrocious as were his 4th and 5th.  The OL wasn't good enough to get the kid anytime to regain his composure, and after the 3rd INT the game was still within reach.  The ONLY INT that he doesn't take blame for was the first.  

So sorry...this thread is ridiculous.  The Charger game was a monumental and colossal mistake.  To try and spin that by pointing to another game is absurd.  The Chargers on this board get this fake mythological credit for being a game we lose either way and that is utterly absurd.  The Chargers were 3-2 in the 5 games before the Bills game, losing 2 in a row and also the 3 wins were against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL and they BARELY won those games.  We ARE a better team than the Chargers...period.  

If we miss the playoffs, that complete screw up in SD will be something thats VERY significant and what we did in OTHER games has no merit what so ever to this colossal mistake.  

BOOM! Mike drop.

No.

Sorry.

If we're talking tiebreakers, the Chargers loss was a head to head loss against a playoff team and automatically makes us lose the tiebreaker to them if we're in a 1 on 1 tie with them, no matter what because that's the very first tiebreaker.

that mattered most.

If the Ravens lose this week and we're tied with them we have the tiebreaker.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No.

Sorry.

If we're talking tiebreakers, the Chargers loss was a head to head loss against a playoff team and automatically makes us lose the tiebreaker to them if we're in a 1 on 1 tie with them, no matter what because that's the very first tiebreaker.

that mattered most.

If the Ravens lose this week and we're tied with them we have the tiebreaker.

Revisionist history. The Chargers were not appearing to be a playoff team at 3-6 when we played them. They have since went 5-1 going into Week 17.

Its an unlikely turn of events for them. 

Edited by What a Tuel