IMO Why the Pats get the Calls

JinxedBill1

Obviously I am with a lot of you thinking they have favoritism in the league office.  Just this year we see the Gronk 1 game suspension, the terrible Steelers call and then our very own debacle of catch, no catch.

Yet I read a lot of you thinking the league should do something about it.  IMO they won't because they like these things because it creates ratings.  Hear me out, they manufacture these issues with the cheating, inflategate, etc. to get people's attention to the sport.  It creates drama that attracts interest both in the media and game day.

So while I am with you all on the idiocy that is officiating, I think the league secretly likes it.  People tune in just to watch them lose cuz they hate them so much.

Just my opinion here.  The NFL is a entertainment business and what's more entertaining than having the empire (Pats) vie for control every year?  I hate it, and I suspect many of you do but the common NFL fan eats it up.

Flame away.  Oh if y'all think I'm wrong I got this info from Dunkirk....so....yeah.....legit.

• Like (+1) 1

Connect the dots NFL, WWE, both three letters long. I'm waiting for confirmation to post but I have a memo detailing the relationship. I can PM it to certain members just ask. Keep in mind this document is going to change things and I can't discuss fully until I verify with my two sources. I should have something tonight after I eat my Christmas dinner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

It’s about money.  The NFL isn’t in the business of having a fair or equitable league, it’s in the business of making money.  Star players and well liked (and much hated) teams get more people watching.  It’s that simple.  Notably, this is an important reason to try to obtain a star QB.  If you have one that people want to watch, you’ll get the calls. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, nedboy7 said:

The NFL kinda sucks.  

It's not the game I remember as a child.  It's not only that we know more about concussions, etc. and the violence is being selectively taken out.  It feels corporate, managed, and dull.  Rules are written that allow a catch to not be a catch, particularly if it benefits certain teams.  When the populace begins to doubt the justice of the game, it is no longer a contest and becomes instead a largely predetermined spectacle. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

The NFL kinda sucks.  

....major focal point of NFL is not the matchups themselves as to who wins or loses, but the MERCHANDISE sales that are generated.....MONEY is primary and the product is secondary with plenty of evidence.......pretty sad.........

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's not the game I remember as a child.  It's not only that we know more about concussions, etc. and the violence is being selectively taken out.  It feels corporate, managed, and dull.  Rules are written that allow a catch to not be a catch, particularly if it benefits certain teams.  When the populace begins to doubt the justice of the game, it is no longer a contest and becomes instead a largely predetermined spectacle. 

This is very reasonable.:thumbsup:

I've thought for years that the patriots seemed to always be the beneficiaries of bad calls but this year has been blatant and very obvious.

Bills - Kelvin Benjamin TD overturned

Steelers - Jesse James TD overturned

Texans - Cooks made TD catch very similar to the Steelers TE catch but theirs wasn't overturned.

Jets TD overturned

Chargers - mystery offensive pass interference on Chargers that would have set them up in the red zone late in the game.

As for the argument that it attracts fans... It does the opposite for me. I won't see the Dolphins game because I'll be working Sunday but I also won't watch another game this season unless the patriots are eliminated from the playoffs.

It's not just the Patriots, think back to 2015 and the Steelers/Bengals game in the playoffs. During a scrum on the field a Steelers assistant coach was right on the field in the middle of things agitating the Bengals yet when all was said and done, no call against the Steelers, but rather a chip shot fieldgoal to win the game. The year before that the non PI call with Dallas and Detroit in the playoffs. During that mess Dez Bryant came off the bench onto the field and got into it yet no call against Dallas. The following week Bryant was robbed of what looked like a good catch in Greenbay. At the time I didn't care because I thought it was karma but I'm really starting to lose it for the NFL. The amount of flags and idiotic reviews is killing the sheer emotion of watching any game.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s about money.  The NFL isn’t in the business of having a fair or equitable league, it’s in the business of making money.  Star players and well liked (and much hated) teams get more people watching.  It’s that simple.  Notably, this is an important reason to try to obtain a star QB.  If you have one that people want to watch, you’ll get the calls. 

Honestly I think Bills players could be super well liked (or hated) just as well as any of the other teams. Market size plays a factor but there are successful small market teams out there, and I don't think it explains the inconsistencies in officiating the Patriots.

I think Kraft has a lot of influence in the NFL, and I think he exerts that influence to his fellow owners dismay. I think the Owners were fed up and told Goodell to make the Patriots pay for deflategate because they are just tired of it.

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Honestly I think Bills players could be super well liked (or hated) just as well as any of the other teams. Market size plays a factor but there are successful small market teams out there, and I don't think it explains the inconsistencies in officiating the Patriots.

I think Kraft has a lot of influence in the NFL, and I think he exerts that influence to his fellow owners dismay. I think the Owners were fed up and told Goodell to make the Patriots pay for deflategate because they are just tired of it.

And after that, the Patriots*** won a Super bowl and this year, they are getting all the calls (again.)

Edited by Dr. Who

18 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

This is one of the best posts even contributed to this board; intelligent, well thought out, and articulated so that all can understand! Great job Dr. Who!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I've thought for years that the patriots seemed to always be the beneficiaries of bad calls but this year has been blatant and very obvious.

Bills - Kelvin Benjamin TD overturned

Steelers - Jesse James TD overturned

Texans - Cooks made TD catch very similar to the Steelers TE catch but theirs wasn't overturned.

Jets TD overturned

Chargers - mystery offensive pass interference on Chargers that would have set them up in the red zone late in the game.

As for the argument that it attracts fans... It does the opposite for me. I won't see the Dolphins game because I'll be working Sunday but I also won't watch another game this season unless the patriots are eliminated from the playoffs.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Yet when it comes to fans, we're not the ones they are aiming for.  The target audience are those who love drama and that love/hate vote them off the island people.  

The games no longer the typical game so they no longer are catering to the typical fan.

Edited by JinxedBill1

53 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Obviously I am with a lot of you thinking they have favoritism in the league office.  Just this year we see the Gronk 1 game suspension, the terrible Steelers call and then our very own debacle of catch, no catch.

Yet I read a lot of you thinking the league should do something about it.  IMO they won't because they like these things because it creates ratings.  Hear me out, they manufacture these issues with the cheating, inflategate, etc. to get people's attention to the sport.  It creates drama that attracts interest both in the media and game day.

So while I am with you all on the idiocy that is officiating, I think the league secretly likes it.  People tune in just to watch them lose cuz they hate them so much.

Just my opinion here.  The NFL is a entertainment business and what's more entertaining than having the empire (Pats) vie for control every year?  I hate it, and I suspect many of you do but the common NFL fan eats it up.

Flame away.  Oh if y'all think I'm wrong I got this info from Dunkirk....so....yeah.....legit.

Early on, the Patriots and Krafty Bob were leveraged to the gills, that if the Pats started losing, fans would stay away and Krafty Bob's loans would default. 

So Krafty Bob's dear friend, Roger Goodell, made sure the Pats would be successful so that Krafty Bob could pay off Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place.

But now things have just stuck in place, especially when Tom Brady and the whole Patriots fairy tale is the only marketable story line these NFL has the days. 

Now the Guerrero thing threatens to play blow the Pats up too. Expect Roger to go full Spygate-mode and send league "investigators" in to sweep it all under the rug.

It's the Patriot way.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Connect the dots NFL, WWE, both three letters long. I'm waiting for confirmation to post but I have a memo detailing the relationship. I can PM it to certain members just ask. Keep in mind this document is going to change things and I can't discuss fully until I verify with my two sources. I should have something tonight after I eat my Christmas dinner. 

Should we follow the money?

I don’t doubt that in part it’s the idea of Jordan rules where the stars get benefit of the doubt. 

But its likewise in part this psychological issue:

name the 5 worst calls against the bills.

now name the 5 worst that we benefited from.

You can ask the same of any teams fans. You’ll get a list of 38 times they were screwed and struggle to get any times they got a break.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Early on, the Patriots and Krafty Bob were leveraged to the gills, that if the Pats started losing, fans would stay away and Krafty Bob's loans would default. 

So Krafty Bob's dear friend, Roger Goodell, made sure the Pats would be successful so that Krafty Bob could pay off Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place.

But now things have just stuck in place, especially when Tom Brady and the whole Patriots fairy tale is the only marketable story line these NFL has the days. 

Now the Guerrero thing threatens to play blow the Pats up too. Expect Roger to go full Spygate-mode and send league "investigators" in to sweep it all under the rug.

It's the Patriot way.

The Patriots really get under your skin, huh?