Secondary: Bills biggest strength

Bing Bong

For all the complaining about the offense, front 7, general lack of talent, what's giving us an edge over teams?

This secondary! I really think they've been the heart and soul of this team. Hyde's clowning on Landry, Tre's dancing, these guys have an attitude. It's fun to watch. Excited to see them show up for Gronkvenge next week.

Honorable mention to Shady ofc. You got to give credit to our stronger position groups if you don't see much on paper, but have a record showing otherwise.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

I think it would have been hard for anyone to look at the players we were about to roll out in the secondary and say it was going to be a strength. Micah Hyde had been relatively successful but not a household name, Poyer a seventh-round pick in 2013 with ten career starts coming off an injury, EJ Gaines a 2014 sixth-round pick who did well in his rookie year but had injury problems since and Tre White, a polished rookie but not a name anyone was really excited about before the draft. Oh and Leonard Johson, a UDFA who only played half a season with McD. 

But they are clicking and playing really well. And most of them are already locked in on team-friendly deals for the next few years! Now let's do the same with the LBs and DL. 

5 minutes ago, Big C said:

Micah Hyde had been relatively successful but not a household name,

Hyde was a backup for an average Green Bay secondary. I had serious reservations about this group going in. Ready to crown Hyde defensive captain if Kyle leaves.

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

If anything, McD built a damn good secondary. Even the most staunch detractors have to admit this. 

I thought his calling card was front 7 but maybe that's just what any coordinator looks like with kuechly

13 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Imagine how good the Bills pass defence can be next year if they get some more pass rush?

Got to re sign Gaines though 

what does he keep getting injured with? seems like a minor injury in a difference place every time.

13 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

But but.... we let Darby, Williams, and Gilmore get away!!

Gilly still looks really good playing with New England scum. I'd like him a lot more if he didn't play for evil.

23 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

If anything, McD built a damn good secondary. Even the most staunch detractors have to admit this. 

This doesn't get enough credit. Now he has to do it again with the front 7. Defense was never a one year rebuilding project. It's impressive it's been as good as it has with all the turnover.

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

what does he keep getting injured with? seems like a minor injury in a difference place every time.

Gilly still looks really good playing with New England scum. I'd like him a lot more if he didn't play for evil.

This time was his knee, before was his hamstring.

I will say the one negative thing about him are his injuries. Besides that, he can flat out play

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This doesn't get enough credit. Now he has to do it again with the front 7. Defense was never a one year rebuilding project. It's impressive it's been as good as it has with all the turnover.

It will be very interesting what they do in the draft. Trade up for a QB in the first? LB? DT? DE? 

He will for sure have to rebuild that front 7 though, through the draft and possibly free agency

30 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Hyde was a backup for an average Green Bay secondary. I had serious reservations about this group going in. Ready to crown Hyde defensive captain if Kyle leaves.

Dom Capers probably didn't recognize his talent, and it worked to our benefit.  There are probably plenty of poorly coached teams from whom we can poach unrecognized talent.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

For all the complaining about the offense, front 7, general lack of talent, what's giving us an edge over teams?

This secondary! I really think they've been the heart and soul of this team. Hyde's clowning on Landry, Tre's dancing, these guys have an attitude. It's fun to watch. Excited to see them show up for Gronkvenge next week.

Honorable mention to Shady ofc. You got to give credit to our stronger position groups if you don't see much on paper, but have a record showing otherwise.

They are when Gaines is on the field.  When he is replaced by Wright the level drops down significantly.  Johnson is also a liability in the slot.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

It's a little deeper than that. Hyde was a jack of all trades on that GB team. When u look at the tape, he was in their in big moments and made a ton of big plays in his career at S and Nickel.. They had Dix ,a high first rounder and their other S was paid so Hyde just didn't fit the budget.

I loved the signing since day 1, always remember hearing his name in the primetime games GB has been in

16 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They are when Gaines is on the field.  When he is replaced by Wright the level drops down significantly.  Johnson is also a liability in the slot.

Johnson has been playing very good I'm,at least the last month.. Gaines I totally agree, need him on the field

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

I thought they were in real trouble at safety last offseason, what a turnaround...

certainly a pleasant surprise. and a group you can build on

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Imagine how good the Bills pass defence can be next year if they get some more pass rush?

Got to re sign Gaines though 

he is injured again you know?
But when healthy. heck yes

51 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

he has not played lately

23 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Johnson overall has played very well. Wright is really a ST ace.

Hope the Beane keeps bringing in depth that might shine. Front seven needs the tweakin' for next year

I agree that that the starting 4 in the secondary are the strength of the team.  EJ Gaines has played very well when he's been healthy.  The problem is that he's often injured and hasn't shown the durability to play an entire year the past two seasons.  If I'm the Bills, I'd still sign him.  Outside of that though, the Bills could use better depth.  Leonard Johnson is not really that good.  He can tackle but leaves a lot to be desired in coverage.  The rest of the crew is nothing special.

Also to the dude that said Gilmore looks really good, I'd tend to disagree.  He's at the same level with New England as he was in Buffalo.  He's a good CB but not elite or a "lockdown" corner, despite the huge contract he was given.  He still can't tackle and stays away from contact vs. the run and gave up some catches in Pittsburgh 

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I agree that that the starting 4 in the secondary are the strength of the team.  EJ Gaines has played very well when he's been healthy.  The problem is that he's often injured and hasn't shown the durability to play an entire year the past two seasons.  If I'm the Bills, I'd still sign him.  Outside of that though, the Bills could use better depth.  Leonard Johnson is not really that good.  He can tackle but leaves a lot to be desired in coverage.  The rest of the crew is nothing special.

Also to the dude that said Gilmore looks really good, I'd tend to disagree.  He's at the same level with New England as he was in Buffalo.  He's a good CB but not elite or a "lockdown" corner, despite the huge contract he was given.  He still can't tackle and stays away from contact vs. the run and gave up some catches in Pittsburgh 

Just a good man corner on passing downs, which happens a lot for the Patriots. He was a force against us.

6 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

NE will regret taking that Gilmore contract on, just as Jax will regret taking Dareus contract on

8 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The team isn't that bad dude. Taylor has Dynamic running ability and is a mid middle to your quarterback they have a Hall of Fame Dynamic running back to 6 foot 5 wide receivers Zay Jones still developing but has talent Charles Clay as a top 10 tight end really play Big Time football offensive lineman that can play really well Jerry Hughes is a poor man's Von Miller Adolphus Washington is getting better each game in a developing pass-rusher Buffalo Bills start the 98 Vikings are 2007 Patriots but they got some decent players dude sound like they suck

On 12/19/2017 at 3:56 AM, westerndecline said:

The team isn't that bad dude. Taylor has Dynamic running ability and is a mid middle to your quarterback they have a Hall of Fame Dynamic running back to 6 foot 5 wide receivers Zay Jones still developing but has talent Charles Clay as a top 10 tight end really play Big Time football offensive lineman that can play really well Jerry Hughes is a poor man's Von Miller Adolphus Washington is getting better each game in a developing pass-rusher Buffalo Bills start the 98 Vikings are 2007 Patriots but they got some decent players dude sound like they suck

I agree with most of what you are saying and am an optimistic fan...Jerry Hughes is not a poor man's Von Miller this year.  Maybe when he was snagging double digit sacks but this year, he's dipped.  He's more of a broke mans Von Miller that's only comparison really is his size this year.  Also, Adolphus has had some moments where he's looked decent but in no way is he a starting guy.  He may be kept as a backup or a rotating guy but not a guy who should get the majority of the snaps.  He gets blown off the ball a lot especially on run plays. I think he can keep developing into a rotational guy but that's about it.  

That being said, we do have a lot of nice pieces.  Hopefully this offseason we will cut the fat and keep adding some really nice pieces.  

On 12/18/2017 at 8:33 PM, Buffalo86 said:

Dom Capers probably didn't recognize his talent, and it worked to our benefit.  There are probably plenty of poorly coached teams from whom we can poach unrecognized talent.

He played all over the field for them last year.   I think they didnt know where to play to him.  Thought he was a jack of trades but not a 1 position starter.  More of a utility man instead of starter.