Steelers vs. Patriots

Real McClappy

15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Jags scare me more than the Steelers. They have a D front that will stop Bell and get after Big Ben and he will throw 4-5 INT in the game. Meanwhile the Steelers D will keep it close for a time but finally succumb to bad field position and lose like 35-21. Defense wins championships, and they have a scary good D. The only way I see them not advancing is a huge question mark with Bortles who is truly a crappy QB. I can see him losing the game for them too.

The Jags do have a good D and Bortles has outperformed somehow this year.  But the Steelers have a good D, which will give Bortles problems.  You also cannot deny that Pitt has a very good offense, and should have Antonio Brown back by post season.

As of right now, the game will be played in Pittsburgh in January; advantage Pitt.  

Agree that defense wins championships, which should concern you regarding NE.  Teams with at least a decent offense can put up points against them, as we saw today and last week vs Miami.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Anyone who watches football calls that a catch, unless they have an agenda. 

And therein lies the problem with instant replay.  At what point do we stop every single play and have someone in the replay booth check the all-22 for holding calls? Worse yet, we'll mic up everyone and throw flags for harsh/offensive language.

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The Jags do have a good D and Bortles has outperformed somehow this year.  But the Steelers have a good D, which will give Bortles problems.  You also cannot deny that Pitt has a very good offense, and should have Antonio Brown back by post season.

As of right now, the game will be played in Pittsburgh in January; advantage Pitt.  

Agree that defense wins championships, which should concern you regarding NE.  Teams with at least a decent offense can put up points against them, as we saw today and last week vs Miami.

Yup! Our D is not very good last few weeks but hopefully Van Noy and a couple others are back by the playoffs and they become a decent D again. (The Pats O just needs decent to b successful.)

as for Brown he has a partially torn muscle, he may be back by the playoffs but even so I can see them dropping a game and becoming the #3 seed  and having to face either the Bills or the Ravens. And I think the Ravens could easily beat them. I also think the Bills would give them a game, but not sure your O could score enough to win.

Personally, I'm kind of shocked that more people haven't picked up on the fact that Tony Corrente, tonight's ref, just so happened to be the same ref who robbed the Jets of a game-winning TD vs the Pats* a couple months back.  What a coincidence......

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You can not tell if his fingers are under the ball or not. Should have been a TD as it was called on the field. The proof just isn't there to overturn the on field call.

After watching that numerous times, it sure does look like his hand is under the ball.

Edited by PeterGriffin

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yup! Our D is not very good last few weeks but hopefully Van Noy and a couple others are back by the playoffs and they become a decent D again. (The Pats O just needs decent to b successful.)

as for Brown he has a partially torn muscle, he may be back by the playoffs but even so I can see them dropping a game and becoming the #3 seed  and having to face either the Bills or the Ravens. And I think the Ravens could easily beat them. I also think the Bills would give them a game, but not sure your O could score enough to win.

I doubt the Steelers drop another game this year.  They're at the Texans and finish with the Browns at home.  I think they keep the #2 seed.

Our offense has been a recurring problem this year.  I hope we can put something together to finish strong.

8 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

You can not tell if his fingers are under the ball or not. Should have been a TD as it was called on the field. The proof just isn't there to overturn the on field call.

After watching that numerous times, it sure does look like his hand is under the ball.

That’s my take too. Just not enough

video evidence to say that his hand wasn’t under it. 

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That’s my take too. Just not enough

video evidence to say that his hand wasn’t under it. 

Yep, hand was still at least mostly under the ball. That should not have been over-turned based on the call on the field. That was a catch in my mind. 

Just now, VaMilBill said:

I hate the Patriots, but I think that was the right call based on the rules. Definitely looked like the ground moved it in his hands. He didn't retain possession all the way through

You can really tell he lost control as the ball spun when he hit the ground after crossing the end zone. 

7 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Looking at the video clip several times, it looks like the ball shifted from his left hand controlling it to resting on top of his right hand, where his fingers would be underneath the ball.  I think the slight spin would indicate such a transfer.  From what I can see, that was a catch and certainly not at all clear the ball hit the ground.  The replay officials obviously saw this, so it is perplexing how they came to a conclusion that would cause the overrule. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You can really tell he lost control as the ball spun when he hit the ground after crossing the end zone. 

Looks like the ball spun, but am not seeing that ball clearly hit the ground. The ball could have spun with his hand under it. 

It may have hit the ground; just not seeing the indisputably clear video evidence.

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Looks like the ball spun, but am not seeing that ball clearly hit the ground. The ball could have spun with his hand under it. 

It may have hit the ground; just not seeing the indisputably clear video evidence.

It's as clear as day to me that the left hand came off the ball and the ball hit the ground to cause the spin. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

http://www.footballzebras.com/2017/12/17/steelers-reversed-td-threaded-a-line-of-conclusive-evidence/

Pool report with referee Tony Corrente

Q: On the touchdown that was called back, what was the review?

Corrente: We we’re inside of 2 minutes and in order to have a completed pass, a receiver must have five going to the ground. In this case, he had control of the football but he was going to the ground. As he hit the ground, the ball begin to roll and rotate and the ball hit the ground and that is the end of it at that point.

Q: [whether it matters that he was touched or that his knee was down]

Corrente: He lost complete control of the football that was the ruling out of replay.

Q: [regarding the terminology that used in the announcement]

Corrente: I said that he just “didn’t survive the ground.” That’s the terminology that we use in the officiating. You have to survive the ground, which means that you have to maintain control the football.

Q: [whether this is similar to the controversial catch reversal against Dallas wide receiver Dez Bryant in the 2014 postseason.]

Corrente: I can’t comment on Dez Bryant. I can only tell you that in this case he went to the ground and had lost control of the ball. The ball hit the ground and that means, at that point, it’s an incomplete pass whether he was touched or not.

• Sad 1

It's just ridiculously amazing how the Pats always seem to have the luck of God in these nail-biting games against quality opponents.

And to top it off.......... these quality opponents seem to make the dumbest decisions against NE. Absolutely mind boggling.

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

You keep saying that last line but it’s simply not true. I encourage you to dig deeper before representing that as the rule.

Be that as it may, I am not convinced there was enough evidence to over turn the call on the field. We saw super slo mo when the movement was not perceptible in real time. The call should have stood.