Steelers vs. Patriots

Real McClappy

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Pats Fan this isn't a Bills and Pats game we are even debating. If you poll every NFL fan in America 90% would rule that a TD.  I hope this was you lucky horseshoe for the year and we destroy your team next week.

For me that perfectly sums up the problem with instant replay. It started as a necessity to correct the blatant bad/missed calls that every one saw on TV and knew were wrong. It was never intended to be taken to this extreme and it's changed how games are officiated and how we watch the games in a bad way.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Desperate? They were on the 5 and a FG ties the game and sends it into OT.  There should been no desperation.  Also the call was correct per the rule, hate the rule but it was called correct. Before you argue more it wasn't. Seeing as how Romo even said it was being called back makes it obvious to a train eye the ball hit the ground this incomplete. Hate the rule but not the call.

The ball touching the ground does not make it incomplete. That’s not how the rule works, even if you want that to be true. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

ANY part of the ball hits the ground while moving makes it incomplete.. the tip hit the ground. Thus incomplete.  Guys they had 2 more plays get it in and should have at least got a FG but like typical Pats competition they crapped their pants and blew it.

Really you could see the tip of the  ball clearly hit the ground?  It may have but his hand was in the way in the angle i saw so it could have or his hand could've still been under it - thought there was the possibility that they didn't have conclusive evidence and they'd have to go with the call on the field.

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Desperate? They were on the 5 and a FG ties the game and sends it into OT.  There should been no desperation.  Also the call was correct per the rule, hate the rule but it was called correct. Before you argue more it wasn't. Seeing as how Romo even said it was being called back makes it obvious to a train eye the ball hit the ground this incomplete. Hate the rule but not the call.

The pass was desperate because when it was snapped it had no chance of working.  The confusion on the play call, NE with DBs hanging out in the endzone, again, no chance.

As for the call, my position is that the catch process was complete when James knee was on the ground.  After that he was a runner who broke the plane of the goal line.

Edited by Perry Turtle

41 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

mind you they will lose to the Jags in the divisional round and their will not be a rematch. 

You sure about this?  I think you're giving the Jags A LOT of credit.  IMO, a rematch is more likely than not.

1 minute ago, Jukester said:

Really you could see the tip of the  ball clearly hit the ground?  It may have but his hand was in the way in the angle i saw so it could have or his hand could've still been under it - thought there was the possibility that they didn't have conclusive evidence and they'd have to go with the call on the field.

The ruling on the field was a TD.  There needs to be irrefutable proof that the ball did not remain in his control. That means there needs to be a camera angle that shows the balle touching the grass.  There is no such angle.  The ball was blocked by the hand.  This was the NY refs in the pocket of the Patriots.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a rule, but it's terrible in cases like this.

it is NOT a bright line. people take different amts of time 'going down' after securing the ball--see my earlier example of a WR catching a pass and being off balance and stumbling forward after taking many steps before going down

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a rule, but it's terrible in cases like this.

Here's the problem, at what point do you "land."  When your knee hits the ground? Elbow? Shoulder? Face? 

When does the process of the catch end for a player hitting the turf?

A player with the ball in his  hands on his knees isn't considered "landed?"  It's a poorly written rule that is poorly applied.

11 minutes ago, bdutton said:

The ruling on the field was a TD.  There needs to be irrefutable proof that the ball did not remain in his control. That means there needs to be a camera angle that shows the balle touching the grass.  There is no such angle.  The ball was blocked by the hand.  This was the NY refs in the pocket of the Patriots.

Irrefutanle proof means nothing, they do whatever the frig they want 

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You sure about this?  I think you're giving the Jags A LOT of credit.  IMO, a rematch is more likely than not.

The Jags scare me more than the Steelers. They have a D front that will stop Bell and get after Big Ben and he will throw 4-5 INT in the game. Meanwhile the Steelers D will keep it close for a time but finally succumb to bad field position and lose like 35-21. Defense wins championships, and they have a scary good D. The only way I see them not advancing is a huge question mark with Bortles who is truly a crappy QB. I can see him losing the game for them too.

25 minutes ago, bdutton said:

This is the key point. The NFL can talk all they want that the refs made the correct call on their stupid rule. However one of their other rules says that it must be irrefutable evidence to overturn the catch and TD. There is no irrefutable evidence on any of the replays to show the ball hitting the ground. It looks like the receiver's hands are cupping the ball and it looks the receiver's pinky is underneath. No team but the Pats gets that call...EVER.

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

The ball touching the ground does not make it incomplete. That’s not how the rule works, even if you want that to be true. 

Damn I can't load the image.. but the rule states if he loses control of the ball he must regain control before it hits the ground or it is incomplete. Simple enough.

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

This is the key point. The NFL can talk all they want that the refs made the correct call on their stupid rule. However one of their other rules says that it must be irrefutable evidence to overturn the catch and TD. There is no irrefutable evidence on any of the replays to show the ball hitting the ground. It looks like the receiver's hands are cupping the ball and it looks the receiver's pinky is underneath. No team but the Pats gets that call...EVER.

Ya that's why Gronk had a TD overturned saying he failed maintain control inside the end zone going to the ground just a few weeks ago. Every team gets the calls the good ones overcome them.