Actual Bowl watching 2017 edition

row_33

46 minutes ago, wppete said:

Anyone else see the coin toss?

Yes, that was what's called a flat spin. In most airplanes, that is unrecoverable, and will get you killed! LOL

Also, I just had to Google it, but the "Cotton Bowl" has not been played in the Cotton Bowl since 2010! WTF, over!? Does Jerry Jones have to RUIN everything!? I hate that ego-maniacal guy! LOL

ETA: Darnold stinks!

Edited by John in Jax

6 minutes ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Lamar Jackson with 2 tds...1 on the ground and 1 passing.  He is definitely explosive.

He is so good.  Needs to have the right coach/system in the nfl but going to be a great QB for some team, imo. Hope it’s not in our division. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sounds like the exact same list used to excuse Hackenberg's play.

I actually compared the two after last season. Tons of similarities. Darnold is a lot more mobile. But the hype after the first season was premature for both. I like Darnold as a prospect but he struggled with an nfl defense last night  (multiple soon-to—be NFL players and nfl DC/scheme) and didn’t look particularly interested or motivated (Hack looked like that too). He is talented and protypical but sloppy.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Trying not using phrases like " shoved down his throat" if you are trying to compliment some one.

It’s obvious that your reading comprehension is on par with your QB analyses. 

B1G is flexing on this bowl season. Kind of a joke that not a single team from the toughest league in college football was even given a chance to compete in the playoff. And I don’t  say that as a Buckeye homer because I did not expect them to get in nor do I think they had a championship quality offense this year.  

Edited by Willyville Guy

11 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

B1G is flexing on this bowl season. Kind of a joke that not a single team from the toughest league in college football wasn’t even given a chance to compete in the playoff. And I don’t  say that as a Buckeye homer because I did not expect them to get in nor do I think they had a championship quality offense this year.  

Agreed. I wish more emphasis were placed on winning conference titles. At least teams would know what needs to be done. There would be guidelines to follow, and the system could be more easily explained. I could except OSU as a conference champion better than Clemson and Bama entries based on reputation. I understand that those teams only lost one game, but it’s tough for me to see a contending conference champ excluded. OSU did what they needed to do by winning their division. Bama had their chance to do so, and failed. It’s a shame to be punished for scheduling legitimate non conference opponents. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

13 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

B1G is flexing on this bowl season. Kind of a joke that not a single team from the toughest league in college football wasn’t even given a chance to compete in the playoff. And I don’t  say that as a Buckeye homer because I did not expect them to get in nor do I think they had a championship quality offense this year.  

Clemson dominates the ACC

Alabama dominates the SEC.  Georgia is having an excellent season

Oklahoma dominates the Big12

The B1G and PAC12 are competitive conferences with the B1G clearly the dominant Power5 Conference this season

The B1G knocked themselves out of a championship this year

Edited by /dev/null

10 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Agreed. I wish more emphasis were placed on winning conference titles. At least teams would know what needs to be done. There would be guidelines to follow, and the system could be more easily explained. I could except OSU as a conference champion better than Clemson and Bama entries based on reputation. I understand that those teams only lost one game, but it’s tough for me to see a contending conference champ excluded. OSU did what they needed to do by winning their division. Bama had their chance to do so, and failed. It’s a shame to be punished for scheduling legitimate non conference opponents. 

and last year it was flipped, OSU got in without playing in the conference championship

the solution is adding more teams

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

and last year it was flipped, OSU got in without playing in the conference championship

the solution is adding more teams

More teams is definitely the only solution. However,  I didn’t think that OSU deserved to be in the playoffs last season with the current format, just as I don’t like Bama being in it this season. 

16 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

More teams is definitely the only solution. However,  I didn’t think that OSU deserved to be in the playoffs last season with the current format, just as I don’t like Bama being in it this season. 

That's the point (knowing that we are in agreement). With only 4 teams you have 1-3 teams every year who can make a case for why they should be in.  Increasing the field to 8 won't eliminate that, but rather than choosing between the 4-6 "most deserving" teams you're debating 8-10.  There will always be someone on the outside looking in, but the significance of those arguments is greatly lessened with a larger field.

11 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

B1G is flexing on this bowl season. Kind of a joke that not a single team from the toughest league in college football was even given a chance to compete in the playoff. And I don’t  say that as a Buckeye homer because I did not expect them to get in nor do I think they had a championship quality offense this year.  

I would've disagreed with Ohio State making it in over Alabama.  They got stomped by Iowa.  It was a blowout, not even a contest.  Alabama had 1 loss against their rival Auburn.  Ohio State blew it.  I hate Alabama but you can't get blown out by a team that finished 7-5 and expect to get into the  playoffs with another loss on your resume as well.  

11 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Considering how bad the Pac 12 looks, I am sure glad their conference champion didn't make the playoffs. The playoff should just be composed of the best teams, and that should be true if the playoff were to be expanded. In an 8 team playoff, no PAC 12 team should have made it.

The unfortunate thing for the Big Ten is that they had three teams that look to be top 8 teams, but I don't think they have any top 4 teams. I have no doubt that that the 4 playoff teams would also easily take care of USC, Washington, and Miami.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.