Slow Down The Dolphins Hype

corta765

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

There D line has 23 sacks on the year and has failed to generate a lot of pressure routinely. Second they have allowed more points then Buffalo. The belief that Miami's D and the line especially is some juggernaut is flat wrong and stems from the fact they have names in Suh and Wake not production.

It would be a stretch to call the Miami D a juggernaut. It's still a bad matchup for the Bills if one examines how the two teams are playing lately. The Bills offense hasn't looked competent since the Raiders game. That was before Halloween . Suh and Wake have played well as of late, and the Bills are weak upfront. The DBs look good as well. Last years Bills would be more suited to get into a game that has high scoring potential ( such as last years home finale vs MIA) than this years model. The Dolphins have a big edge at QB if " good Cutler " shows up. Drake looks like a solid replacement for Ajayi. If weather conditions are suitable for offense, the Bills will have to break some major trends to pull out a win here. It's not a good matchup on the field, regardless of what standings or select stats may say. 

17 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bills don't have a great matchup vs Dolphins. Their DL can be dominant, the defense is pretty good top to bottom. Cutler ( if on) is a better QB than anything the Bills can trot out there. Points will be hard to come by for the Bills O; the defense  is going to need to step it up tremendously. This has little to do with the Patriots game, mind you. The Dolphins allowed 20 points, and the Bills allowed 23. Pretty even considering that Gronkowski played and the Bills offense had one good drive in the game. 

Agreed. Not a great matchup for the Bills. Honestly, I'm counting on the weather helping out plus the fact that Miami is coming off of both a big high (stomping NE) and a short week. 

4 minutes ago, theAteam said:

Maybe the rest of the team but Cutler played in Chicago. He knows cold and wind.

And stunk there by and large.

anyone remember the game where Brian Cox walked out into a blizzard and just about wet himself?  Game was over before either team took the field.

22 hours ago, njbuff said:

but don't tell us Miami is better than Buffalo when the Dolphins got shut out on multiple occasions this year.

But I mean, the Bills have been held to 3 points on 2 separate occasions this year, how is that any better? Yeah it's absurd to assume Miami is a juggernaut but don't act like they're some pushover that are guaranteed wins. 

5 hours ago, paulbills said:

But I mean, the Bills have been held to 3 points on 2 separate occasions this year, how is that any better? Yeah it's absurd to assume Miami is a juggernaut but don't act like they're some pushover that are guaranteed wins. 

I never said the Dolphins were guaranteed wins.

In 2017, no games are guaranteed wins for Buffalo. Maybe in the future if McBeane can get their roster to where they like it.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:45 PM, uticaclub said:

It comes down to QB play.  Sadly, Jay Cutler is better than any of our QBs and Jay Cutler sucks. 

Jay Cutler has been known to lay his share of turds... so PFffffffffffttttttttt!!!!

On 12/12/2017 at 9:09 PM, Gugny said:

The Bills have consistently had one of the worst offense in football.  I don't know why you're thanking me.  We all know that the Dolphins are inconsistent - especially Cutler.  What I opined is that if they even play half as well as they did last night, they will be - by far - the superior team and completely kick Buffalo's ass.

And yet, there are nine offenses in the NFL that have scored fewer points than the Bills.

One of those offenses is...the Dolphins

There are six offenses which have fewer offensive yards than the Bills.

One of these offenses is....the Dolphins.

There are 16 defenses in the NFL which have allowed more offensive points then the Bills.  10 slots below us are...the Dolphins.

The Dolphins, however, do give up fewer yards than the Bills - 239 yds over 13 games, to be exact.

Obviously if Gase comes in with a great game plan, we don't adjust, and Cutler/Dolphins D both play up to their potential, they will kick our ass.

That's part of the "any given Sunday" part of the league.

But the reverse is also true.  People here are talking as though Marine Mammals are N'Orleans or the Pats**, consistently great D and great O all season.  And they aren't.

• Like (+1) 1

Most of the sudden Miami hype/fear from Bills fans is the simple fact that they ousted the **Pats, who a week earlier beat the Bills. Of course missing Gronk was huge, and the Dolphins implemented a great game plan on defense to counter that. If Gronk would have played, it would have changed things dramatically. 

BUT...there was more to it than just what was posted in the OP. First of all, this is a "what have you done lately" league. The Dolphins we're coming off of a "big" (score) win against Denver, which kept their playoff hopes alive. The chance that they make it was and is still very slim, but it resonated in the players, and it was on full display against NE. Their defensive line was phenomenal, and (the name and number escapes me) their big DT looked like Dareus when he was dominating up front. Their LBs were in good position all night, and their secondary fed off of that. The pressure Brady faced caused a lot of "errant" passes. When you keep the **Pats from converting a first down for the first time in 26 years, you're playing great football. And on offense, did a good job of mixing things up, with a heavy dose of misdirection passes to  players in the flats. Forget what the Dolphins had done earlier in the season. They look good right now.

The Bills have also done a pretty good job of correcting some things on defense in recent weeks, but much of that has to do with simply being healthier. And having a healthy Benjamin on the field changes things dramatically for the offense. 

It's hard to dissect and judge anything from a game played in the conditions that the Bills faced on Sunday, but the Bills nearly let their playoff hopes slip away against the Colts, and if not for a very controversial call on the 2 point conversion, and a great catch by Thompson (as well as two missed FGs), they very likely lose that game, or tie. But the fact that they pulled it out also kept their playoff hopes alive, and clearly energized the players, as seen after Shady scored the GW TD. 

This is definitely a "playoff" type game for both teams. The weather won't be as bad as predicted earlier in the week. Should be mid 30s and mostly cloudy. A little snow (in comparison to last Sunday) means little to me against the Dolphins. I know they're different teams right now, but I remember Reggie Bush making snow angels in the end zone against the Bills. Home field advantage in those conditions only matters when you have a good team on the field, and the Bills aren't "good", they're "decent". Maybe there's a flurry or two, but wind will be the biggest factor IMO. Cutler has a cannon, and the wind may not be as big of a factor with his passes as it would be a QB with an average arm. Holding the Fins to FG attempts will be huge, and I like Hauschka in those conditions over their kicker. 

But IMO, having Taylor on the field greatly increases the Bills chances, not just because of the QBs behind him (Peterman is limited, and Webb is the #3 for a reason), but because his ability to pick up yards with his legs significantly changes how the Dolphins will attack up front. Brady is a statue in the pocket compared to Taylor (although his somewhat regular indecisiveness in the pocket negates that a bit). I get that, as a unit, the WRs aren't very good at creating separation, so that plays into that, but the coaches could do a better job of calling plays that create that separation for them, much like the Dolphins did against the **Pat's with misdirection. Regardless, Taylor has to trust his WRs and let it go faster, especially KB on the outside to go up and get balls, and Thompson on 9 routes against cover 1. And how about some draws and screens to Shady?

Should be a good game, and a great atmosphere, but you can bet that the Fins are going to come out ready and try to take the crowd out of the game. 

On 12/12/2017 at 6:45 PM, uticaclub said:

It comes down to QB play.  Sadly, Jay Cutler is better than any of our QBs and Jay Cutler sucks. 

Well, that may be true in general, but he looked like a pro bowler against the Pats.  NE played as flat as I've ever seen that team play except for maybe the Miami game back in 2007 when the Carp came in winless (that was the year they went 1-15), and the Pats were on a roll --- and got their butts handed to them by the Fish.

24 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

And Tyrod hasn't?

Seriously???.. We all know that.. but the premise of the discussion I quoted was somehow Cutler was this dominate QB in comparison to Bills QB's or significantly better even though he sucks.. Just didn't agree with the statement.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:58 AM, matter2003 said:

Jay Cutler might be the most inconsistent player on the most inconsistent team in the NFL

Yep as I said Cutler has been known to put up his share of turds.. Hopefully he has a another Turdsday when we play him again