Does the D line need a complete rebuild also?

Socal-805

2 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

The D-line may be the beginning of Buffalo's terrible defense, and looking at who is there, who can project if ANY of these guys need to be/will be kept:

o  Shaq Lawson - 1 draft pick.  Injured, not very productive and IR'd.  Too soon to start calling him a bust?  Being replaced by an undrafted rookie?

o  Jerry Hughes - He will be 30 y/o before next season begins, and his play has certainly tailed off per the stats for a couple years now.

o  Kyle Williams - He will be 35 y/o before next season starts!  Wow. 

How do you NOT begin a total rebuild here?  And Lorenzo Alexander will be 35 also.

FYI:  This new forum , I don't like as well.

I think a minor rebuild is needed.  We need someone like Christen Wilkins (Clemson) the middle of the D-Line.  Hughes can likely play a few more years, and k. Williams, if he returns, needs a young stud next to him.  Lawson is okay...4 sacks and was stout against the run.  But adding a guy like Wilkins  or Payne (Bama) would be great.  This draft looks to be decently deep at DT.  

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How does Eddie Yarbrough factor into future plans?  Still depth or could he move to a starting role?

good question.  Ideally he is depth or rotational with Lawson.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dareus gone

Kyle all but retired

Shaq is disappointing 

Jerry is not the same anymore 

I won't even talk LB'S 

The backup DT's are pure mediocrity 

We need help to stop the run. The run defense is bleeding out.  I like Wilkins and Hurst but we will need picks for the qb. 

good depth later on with Vea and Bryan.  Don't necessarily agree with their ordering, but decent write-up here with stats.  http://walterfootball.com/draft2018DT.php

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm starting to count on this.

It would go a long way to shoring up the DL.

.....and we do know the "connection"......Kyle is making $8.3 mil this year and is a 2018 UFA......no way they re-sign him for anything remotely close or even at all.... Lotulelei is playing for $6.7 mil on his 5th year option......so he's probably looking in the $8 mil/yr range IMO..........

We’ve established that the Pegulas CAN indeed own the Sabres and Bills at the same time. We have not yet established whether or not you can acquire a franchise QB AND other players in the same offseason. There are some conflicting reports on here. In general most people seem to believe that you can’t do anything until you get the QB. Is that true? If so, do the Bills sign Kirk Cousins so that they are able to participate in free agency? Otherwise I guess that they have to wait until the draft to get players.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We’ve established that the Pegulas CAN indeed own the Sabres and Bills at the same time. We have not yet established whether or not you can acquire a franchise QB AND other players in the same offseason. There are some conflicting reports on here. In general most people seem to believe that you can’t do anything until you get the QB. Is that true? If so, do the Bills sign Kirk Cousins so that they are able to participate in free agency? Otherwise I guess that they have to wait until the draft to get players.

They can't sign Cousins unless they tank, I thought we established that?

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m more confused than ever.

Look, that's on you at this point.  Maybe you've hit your ceiling as a poster.  You're capable of doing things that no other poster can do, yet you struggle with the most basic posting/comprehension.  At this point perhaps a change of scenery might be best.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....and we do know the "connection"......Kyle is making $8.3 mil this year and is a 2018 UFA......no way they re-sign him for anything remotely close or even at all.... Lotulelei is playing for $6.7 mil on his 5th year option......so he's probably looking in the $8 mil/yr range IMO..........

Kyle being signed for another year would be in a rotational/situational/leadership role only.

2-3 Million tops IMHO.

I don't think they can count on him as a full time starter.

Not to beat a dead horse....

But....

We could be talking about just replacing Kyle next season and having a very solid DL.

Hughes, Day 2 Draft Pick, Marcell, Lawson. 

While Lawson isn’t an animal or a huge pass rusher. He is a good 2 down DE and sets the edge well. Then find a situational pass rusher that’s not Lorax in the 3rd possibly, or FA. We’d be fine. 

Now our line looks like:

RE- 30 year old-pass rusher-above average. 

DT- Draft/FA

DT- Draft/FA

LE- A good starter if we have other pieces, but we don’t. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kyle being signed for another year would be in a rotational/situational/leadership role only.

2-3 Million tops IMHO.

I don't think they can count on him as a full time starter.

....agree 101%......question would be does he accept it or retire?.....my guess is retirement.......even if he went elsewhere, it would probably be for the dollars you have forecasted.......

Definitely.  I expect the FO to sign 1-3 free agent DL and draft 1-2 in the first 3 rounds. Add 2 LBs and 2 CBS (1 if we resign Gaines). Only thing that’s really set is our S, #1 cb (if he comes back healthy, f gronk!!). We need a MLB and a SLB.  Hopefully Milano can play wlb going forward.  I think the only guys we can count on going forward are Hughes (as long as McBeane doesn’t ship him out), shaq (and he is better as a backup), Power, Hyde, White and hopefully milano.  The rest need to be replaced.  We have zero DTs worthy of being starters (although I thought Washington played well last week and shows flashes of being a starter).  I can’t see Kyle coming back although I’d be happy if he did

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agree 101%......question would be does he accept it or retire?.....my guess is retirement.......even if he went elsewhere, it would probably be for the dollars you have forecasted.......

Retirement is my guess.

He's old like us, LOL, spirit willing but the flesh is getting weak.

Kyle has to be up pretty high on the list of:  Best players, of his years, never to be in a playoff game.

I feel for him.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Retirement is my guess.

He's old like us, LOL, spirit willing but the flesh is getting weak.

Kyle has to be up pretty high on the list of:  Best players, of his years, never to be in a playoff game.

I feel for him.

....LMAO!!.....old at 34?......do you know what the hell I would pay right now to REMEMBER AGE 34?.........then again, it may NOT be pretty............:thumbsup:.............

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Follow along. Carolina traded Kelvin Benjamin to the Buffalo Bills so they could have cap room to sign other "more important" players in 2018. 

It was actually to be able to get more speed on the field, specifically Curtis Samuel.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21240301/kelvin-benjamin-carolina-panthers-traded-buffalo-bills

"The Panthers were willing to part with Benjamin because it eliminates some redundancy on the field with Benjamin, who is 6-foot-5, and Devin Funchess, who is 6-foot-4 with a similar skill set and now moves into Benjamin's role as the No. 1 receiver. The Panthers also want to get faster receivers such as Russell Shepard, rookie Curtis Samuel and Kaelin Clay on the field more."

Any cap space they have will be used for guys like Greg Olsen, Thomas Davis, Devin Funchess, and possibly Jonathan Stewart, Ryan Kalil and/or Charles Johnson...I can't see the Panthers spending big money on Star Lotulelei, when they have Kawann Short and Vernon Butler.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

They will be addressing the DL on free agency and the draft, no doubt. DT is top priority. Hughes is good and Lawson may never be a complete, top-tier DE but he has value and still has time to work on his pass rush. If Lorax stays and we opt to use him as a pure pass rusher that might buy us some time to find a stud DE in the next year's draft, but too soon to speculate there.

I don't think Hughes' on field performance is good enough to continue to put up with his stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.   Yes, the whole front 7 needs work. 

So, the 1st draft with the new head coach and former defensive coordinator didn't surprise us by starting with a DB.  It'll be interesting to see what he does in the next draft.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....any chance of or is a guy like Panthers' Lotulelei worth chasing as a UFA?........

Star would be perfect, IMO, and there’s that Carolina connection.  His little brother, Lowell,  (entering ‘18 draft) is the exact same type of player.  Would be a nice pick to fill a dire need.  I love Vita Vea if he’s there for us in the 2nd round.

26 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Star would be perfect, IMO, and there’s that Carolina connection.  His little brother, Lowell,  (entering ‘18 draft) is the exact same type of player.  Would be a nice pick to fill a dire need.  I love Vita Vea if he’s there for us in the 2nd round.

...interesting....thanks for your perspective.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Secondary: I'd like an upgrade at 1 CB position over Gaines, but he's still a decent player.

Front 7: Retain Hughes, Davis and Yarbrough. Replace everyone else. I believe Kyle's career will very soon be coming to a close. I know I'll be rooting for him to be a 1st ballot HOF'er, but it's time.