NFL to consider adopting CFB’s targeting rule; add a punishment category for non-football hits

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

What's the cfb's policy? 

Helmet to helmet hit = targeting. If called for targeting, immediately reviewed. If upheld, ejected for rest of game. If ejected in 1st half, can return next game. If ejected  in 2nd half, suspended for 1st half of next game.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That’s just targeting. Non-football acts would obviously be a longer suspension. 

Yep just to confirm these are two separate rule changes/ considerations. One is to adopt cfb targeting policy, another is to create a “Gronk”category (I hope they name it that) so that punishments for non-football hits are addressed separately. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

What's the cfb's policy? 

A fight to death in the middle of the field to prove who's not a kitty.

lead_large.jpg?1473949780

In the last game I watched, I think Brick killed a guy...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep just to confirm these are two separate rule changes/ considerations. One is to adopt cfb targeting policy, another is to create a “Gronk”category (I hope they name it that) so that punishments for non-football hits are addressed separately. 

...yup, adoption makes sense...if player safety is a goal so be it...if not, safety is a fallacy and that can is kicked down the road until something serious happens.......

The only way to stop the NFL players from using their heads as weapons is to remove the helmets from the game. Without the protection they'll stop after one or two hits. Think Aussie rules football or Rugby. NFL players have too much body armor.

5 hours ago, Donszar said:

The only way to stop the NFL players from using their heads as weapons is to remove the helmets from the game. Without the protection they'll stop after one or two hits. Think Aussie rules football or Rugby. NFL players have too much body armor.

Thought! (My head hurts) 

What if they moved preseason to this as a precursor to eventually going that direction. I agree, the helmet especially is currently a weapon not a protector. 

Curious what the data on brain injury suggests from the leather days.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Thought! (My head hurts) 

What if they moved preseason to this as a precursor to eventually going that direction. I agree, the helmet especially is currently a weapon not a protector. 

They have data on brain injuries from the leatherhead days? You are joking?

Give the opposing team 8 points, clear, no 2pt. PAT... It will stop pretty damn quickly!

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Thought! (My head hurts) 

Leather helmets protect slightly better from straight impact... Check the study.  But where leather adds in cushion, it is a total fail when it comes to getting mamed/facially disfigured.  How does it hold a facemask.

8 hours ago, Donszar said:

Or just take facemasks off.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They shouldn't have needed a special rule. 

This is getting sad. They have to make a special rule, so they will be sure to know to do, what every impartial person knew they should do ahead of time.

Anybody here who thinks they will not make a mess of this, and enforce whatever new rules as stupidly as they enforce the old, raise your hand.

They should have known to give Gronkowski at least a 2 game suspension, especially if they are handing out 1 game suspensions to people who did lesser offenses.

That was obvious.

The problem is about people in decision making positions who make poor decisions that appear to be either the result of corruption or stupidity. A new rule won't fix that.

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

They randomly throw guys out of the game if they tackle someone too hard.

The goal of the college rule is a needless 10 minutes of review and then they kick a defensive captain out with no grounds at all.

And you ignore 9 incidents and jump all over a 10th.

Worst was a DT was clearly shoved by an opponent after the whistle and he fell forward and his helmet touched the helmet of the QB on the ground.

Out you go with a suspension!!!

And the announcers are ordered to trumpet the 100% righteousness of every decision no matter how horrible it was.

And fans sit there going what on earth is happening to the game???