Should Mc-Bean Pull a Whale-y of a Deal ??

T master

11 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's a great college QB, but he won't fare well in the NFL, in my opinion.

I've seen this script already with Manziel and Bobby Griffin.  Little cocky, arrogant guys who divide locker rooms and fold the moment things start getting tough.

Mayfield is not a leader of MEN.  He's short, has little hands and is immature.  A recipe for disaster at the NFL level.

you seem more focused on the stature of Mayfield than anything else.

12 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

you seem more focused on the stature of Mayfield than anything else.

I mentioned his immaturity as well.

His stature matters.  How many 6' QBs with small hands have had success in NFL?  

Last year I kept hearing how Watson's game wouldn't translate to the NFL.  It is shocking, to say the least, how I have yet to hear this argument about Baker.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's pretty clear that we won't be packaging anything to get Darnold or Rosen. 

Both will be gone to either CLE, NYG or NYJ. 

Best we should hope for is either Baker or Lamar or Allen at our mid round first. 

I'd be ok with either of them. 

Dont mortgage  - use the picks you have wisely. 

Let a first round QB and a veteran QB (Tyrod or whomever) fight out for the starting position.

If the first round QB is up to the task, he will win out and start. 

Use the other 3 top 50 picks on an OL, DL and LB. BPA

Edited by Bakin

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

How did Whaley insist that EJ was a "franchise QB"?  After the first year he signed Kyle Orton who played 12 games. Then in the next off season he signed Hotrod. He made no attempt that we're aware of to re sign EJ.

I know he wanted him to be as did most of us.  But insist? Don't see it.

First, Whaley picked him. Anyone who thinks the Nix exit strategy wasn't in play during the 2013 draft is fooling themselves. Second, if Nix did the work and then picked EJM, wouldn't it make sense his successor didn't have a major say? 

Orton was signed because Marrone knew that EJM couldn't play. He needed another option in his second year as HC and in 2014 who was another option aside from Jeff Tuel?

Tyrod was a target of RR's with NYJ, and it stands to reason the decision to sign TT was made at Rex's demand when he came to Buffalo. Especially, when he realized that EJM was the only guy with starting experience at QB. 

And who can forget, trading Matt Cassel to get Manuel on the field early in the 2015 season? 

13 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

No one is taking an oft injured left tackle and a pick outside the top 15 for a top 5 pick. Glen is worth a 4th rounder at best, primarily because of his contract. I suggest reading up on pick evaluation; its supper rad and interesting if the draft is what your into. There are very good reasons why the moves that you are suggesting never get made, as they would cost any respectable GM their job.

It's also ignoring the fact they'll probably start to move on from Eli. I could be wrong, but it's a pretty real possibility I believe 

The Bills should go after, in this order, Cousins, Eli, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield.  I would LOVE Lamar Jackson, but Dennison and McBeane have shown they don't know how to design an offense around an athletic QB, so Jackson is out.  Now if we fire Dennison and pick up Mike McCoy as OC, all bets are off, and Jackson could well be in play.  This off-season will be the most crucial since the beginning of the drought.  We're loaded for bear, and we need to bag a trophy.

17 hours ago, T master said:

As it looks right now the Bills are still in a quagmire at the QB position as we have all seen . We as fans always hope because TT is a good team mate & a team guy that he can become a real good QB & score just the points needed to get victories but doesn't or can't !!

With that being said i was wondering if the Bills fans would mind or want Mc Bean & company to pul a Whaley type deal to get say a Baker Mayfield or a Josh Rosen in this years draft & package 2 first round picks to get either or just take the best player that falls to them at what looks now to be a #18 draft pick ??

I always thought the Sammy pick was foolish when OBJ was there along with a lot of other good players that the Bills passed on (which seems to be a recurring theme) but if you have a franchise type QB which no one coming out of college is a bonafide 100% guaranteed Tom Brady QB , but some one that has that kind of potential .

There are certain kinds of players that come out & you just get the feeling that they can change the fortune of the team that drafts them & it looks as thought there may be a couple of those in this draft & the Bills need one at the QB position .

So would you pull that kind of deal or would you sit back & take your pick as it falls ? You be the Bills GM & call it as you see fit !!  

Wouldn't be a Whaley type of deal.

The general rule for successful GMs is this:  Never ever trade up in the first if you have to give away another first ... EXCEPT if it's for a QB who you think will be a franchise guy.

Whaley broke that rule. If Beane trades up, he won't be breaking that rule.

If there's a QB available that I can trade up for that I believe stands a good chance to be a franchise guy, a guy who I think will be gone by the time our first pick rolls around, I do that deal in a second. I think it's a good part of the reason we traded for those extra picks in the first place.

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

First, Whaley picked him. Anyone who thinks the Nix exit strategy wasn't in play during the 2013 draft is fooling themselves. Second, if Nix did the work and then picked EJM, wouldn't it make sense his successor didn't have a major say? 

Orton was signed because Marrone knew that EJM couldn't play. He needed another option in his second year as HC and in 2014 who was another option aside from Jeff Tuel?

Tyrod was a target of RR's with NYJ, and it stands to reason the decision to sign TT was made at Rex's demand when he came to Buffalo. Especially, when he realized that EJM was the only guy with starting experience at QB. 

And who can forget, trading Matt Cassel to get Manuel on the field early in the 2015 season? 

There's no reason to believe Nix was on his way out that year at that time beyond wanting to believe it. Not a stitch of evidence. Yup, Whaley was the heir apparent, but no reason to think that Nix was forced out at that time.

But yeah, we absolutely know that Whaley wanted Manuel. Nix has said he started a little QB committee to focus on getting the right QB, and that Whaley was in charge of it, and that Whaley wanted Manuel. More, Whaley had a million chances to back away from his belief in Manuel after Nix left. He never did. Just the opposite, again and again he stated and showed his support.

As for your contention about Orton, there's no reason to believe - whoever wanted to bring him in - that he was brought in to start. If Manuel had worked out, Orton would have been a terrific pickup as a backup and QB mentor. Orton's contract was $11M over two years, high but not outrageous for a backup.

You're dead right about Cassel, though. That was yet another show of Whaley's belief in at the very least getting Manuel on the field for a chance to play. 

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I mentioned his immaturity as well.

His stature matters.  How many 6' QBs with small hands have had success in NFL?  

Last year I kept hearing how Watson's game wouldn't translate to the NFL.  It is shocking, to say the least, how I have yet to hear this argument about Baker.

Mayfield appears to have a terrific control of the passing game. 

How many 6' QBs with small hands have had success in the NFL? Well, assuming that he's 6' rather than his official height, here's another question: how many 6' QBs with small hands have been drafted as early as Mayfield appears likely to be taken? Most guys built like him don't have games or skillsets like him, they're runners who do a bit of passing on the side. 

You're right that his stature matters. But you know what they say, exceptions happen.

Not that I've decided on him. But I'm at least intrigued.

I would not be disappointed if they stayed put, took a qb and filled a few positions with talent while bringing in a veteran qb. Rather start with a great oline and defense and give any qb a good chance at success.

Edited by Turk71

ls should go after, in this order, Cousins, Eli, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield.  I would LOVE Lamar Jackson, but Dennison and McBeane have shown they don't know how to design an offense around an athletic QB, so Jackson is out.  Now if we fire Dennison and pick up Mike McCoy as OC, all bets are off, and Jackson could well be in play.  This off-season will be the most crucial since the beginning of the drought.  We're loaded for bear, and we need to bag a trophy.

No thanks to Eli. Too old to build around. Wish we'd had a shot at the young Eli, though.

The rest of your list looks pretty reasonable to me.

I fully agree that we are in dire need of quality talent at the QB position; however, given the current state of the rest of our roster I would fear packaging up picks to get the guy would prevent us from plugging some of those holes... I would hate to have a great QB and have him ruined early on because of missing pieces.  Okay, look at Eli Manning this year, quality franchise QB who couldn't do squat because of a crap O-line and lack of available targets once OBJ went down.  

While reading a bunch of different articles posted here i came across a rumblers reply that said he thought the Bills should 

"Offer up Cordy glenn (seeing as Dawkins has played really well at LT) & the first round they got from KC to the NY Giants for there first round pick at #2 ."

I thought seeing as Glenn has been hurt , Dawkins has filled in admirably & the G-men need a starting LT it could work very well & the Bills get to dump Glenns contract & have more cap room in order to help absorb the Dareus dead money & have more cash to pay for FA's to help in areas the team needs upgrades at .

Sounds like a pretty happening plan to me ...

On 12/5/2017 at 12:43 PM, Manther said:

Disagree.  That is not the case.  But, I could be wrong.  Why do you think we have too many draft picks to realistically sign?

I believe we've got 10-picks.  I guess 10 rookies making up their 53 man roster seems tough to justify, also unlikely that that many could even make the team.

It will take both firsts this year,a First next year and more draft picks to get into the top 3 for a QB.

The value of QBs,especially in a year of a decent crop will be very high. 

Id take a swing at it. We need a QB big time.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:28 AM, T master said:

As it looks right now the Bills are still in a quagmire at the QB position as we have all seen . We as fans always hope because TT is a good team mate & a team guy that he can become a real good QB & score just the points needed to get victories but doesn't or can't !!

With that being said i was wondering if the Bills fans would mind or want Mc Bean & company to pul a Whaley type deal to get say a Baker Mayfield or a Josh Rosen in this years draft & package 2 first round picks to get either or just take the best player that falls to them at what looks now to be a #18 draft pick ??

I always thought the Sammy pick was foolish when OBJ was there along with a lot of other good players that the Bills passed on (which seems to be a recurring theme) but if you have a franchise type QB which no one coming out of college is a bonafide 100% guaranteed Tom Brady QB , but some one that has that kind of potential .

There are certain kinds of players that come out & you just get the feeling that they can change the fortune of the team that drafts them & it looks as thought there may be a couple of those in this draft & the Bills need one at the QB position .

So would you pull that kind of deal or would you sit back & take your pick as it falls ? You be the Bills GM & call it as you see fit !!  

They should sit tight and get a QB prospect with one of their first rounders.   Too many holes to fill to trade up considering the depth at QB position this year in the draft

• 2 weeks later...