EJ Gaines And Defense

TPS

3 hours ago, TPS said:

Something I thought about after the KC game, and now I've seen Sal C tweet it: the Bills D is much better when EJ is healthy/starting. Sal said they're 5-2 with him in the lineup. I don't think it's a coincidence, but I'm not sure what kind of impact that he would also have on the run D?

I read somewhere else that was all Dareus...

I've been saying this since he went down in Cinci game. That's why turnovers went down and we started getting gashed in the run game because he was a sure tackler that wasn't on the field. With him in the lineup Qb's makes more mistakes, which amounts to more takeaways.

40 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

I've been saying this since he went down in Cinci game. That's why turnovers went down and we started getting gashed in the run game because he was a sure tackler that wasn't on the field. With him in the lineup Qb's makes more mistakes, which amounts to more takeaways.

I think it may also allow coverage LB's and the safeties to worry less about his assignments.  That seems more likely than his tackling, which is sure, but shouldn't matter that much for runs up the gut.  I doubt he would have been in the middle of the field for all those (25) run plays against NO.

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I agree. He is banged up quite often but when he's on the field, you can see why they traded for him. He's a great zone CB. If he can stay healthy and consistent I think him and White can be the top corners for the future. 

Shows you how good these guys are at finding players that fit their system.  Just imagine how much better we will be when they add the players they need in FA and the draft next year. 

16 hours ago, TPS said:

I was thinking the same regarding CBs: Tre, EJ, and LJ; then draft another somewhere in rounds 2-4.

EJ and Leonard just seem to fit the scheme perfectly and play well when they are healthy.  EJ is only 25 and Leonard is only 27.  White being only 21, Hyde only 26 and Poyer only 26 as well makes me excited for this group over the next few years if they all stay.  They could have a really nice secondary soon if they add another corner to that young group.