EJ Gaines And Defense

TPS

Something I thought about after the KC game, and now I've seen Sal C tweet it: the Bills D is much better when EJ is healthy/starting. Sal said they're 5-2 with him in the lineup. I don't think it's a coincidence, but I'm not sure what kind of impact that he would also have on the run D?

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

Something I thought about after the KC game, and now I've seen Sal C tweet it: the Bills D is much better when EJ is healthy/starting. Sal said they're 5-2 with him in the lineup. I don't think it's a coincidence, but I'm not sure what kind of impact that he would also have on the run D?

His presence allows the Bills to be much more aggressive with pressure.  Been saying that he's a key player on the defense and it's good to have him back healthy. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It just sucks that he is kinda fragile.

but that's what happens when your an aggressive corner who is not afraid to hit 

he is really valuable to our team and when he's out there he gives us a quick heady corner

I agree. He is banged up quite often but when he's on the field, you can see why they traded for him. He's a great zone CB. If he can stay healthy and consistent I think him and White can be the top corners for the future. But beyond those guys they know they gotta do better than Johnson and Wright. Johnson isn't great in coverage but he's on this team because he's a sure tackler who usually takes good angles. Wright on the other hand is just another guy. Most thought that the secondary would be the weak spot on defense but they've been really good. I think Hyde was a huge acquisition, not only is he a very good player, he's very smart and he's the director on the back end, making sure guys are lined up where they need to be. 

Edited by blacklabel

He's important if not essential to the defense because he is a solid player, a good tackler, and most important, the drop-off behind him is huge, which is partly a McBeane problem.

He played as poorly as anyone in the Chargers game but was good against the Chiefs (although they have one WR and decided not to use him).

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

I agree. He is banged up quite often but when he's on the field, you can see why they traded for him. He's a great zone CB. I'm sure they'll look to upgrade that position as Wright just isn't getting it done. And Leonard Johnson is sometimes a liability in coverage but he's a very good tackler. Most thought that the secondary would be the weak spot on defense but they've been really good. I think Hyde was a huge acquisition, not only is he a very good player, he's very smart and he's the director on the back end, making sure guys are lined up where they need to be. 

Yea Hyde is a stud . He's a field general , always lining the guys up in the right spot.

This is what a primary zone team looks like.. sometimes some cushions between the 20s 

but smart, fundamental football. 

When you are in cover 3 and they tell you nobody gets behind you... well guess what... you peel off the LoS and you don't let anybody run by you

even if it means giving up a 12 yard out sometimes

i think 1 more solid corner will do wonders for us and keep Gaines a bit healthier 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea Hyde is a stud . He's a field general , always lining the guys up in the right spot.

This is what a primary zone team looks like.. sometimes some cushions between the 20s 

but smart, fundamental football. 

When you are in cover 3 and they tell you nobody gets behind you... well guess what... you peel off the LoS and you don't let anybody run by you

even if it means giving up a 12 yard out sometimes

i think 1 more solid corner will do wonders for us and keep Gaines a bit healthier 

I'm inclined to agree with you, sir. Definitely need an upgrade for the nickel CB spot and some better depth. Safety-wise I can see them hanging onto Elston. They seem to like him and might wanna develop him. 

Season isn't even over yet, they still have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs but we can't help ourselves in talking about which types of players they need to go get to strengthen this team, haha. I think I have a decent idea on the kinds of players they'll try to get in the draft so I'm more interested in who they're targeting in free agency.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Agree but they are better when all 4 starters are playing...having a great secondary can cover a lot of mistakes by front 7

I think he needs to be resigned.  Maybe the injury will give us a discount.  This seems like the right type of system for him.  Add another corner  and keep Leonard Johnson as the 4th CB and we could be looking like a tough secondary.  EJ looks great when he's in the game.  Made a great tackle sunday on a screen play, he tackled the runner while being blocked at the line of scrimmage.  Add in another safety for depth and we would be looking at names for the secondary...

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Yeah, EJ is the man.  He had a great game against the Chiefs.  Well, apart from that flagrant penalty at the end.  :P

He lead with his forearm, there was intent.  That's why the flag was thrown.  You can't just throw the flag when guys connect...

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I think he needs to be resigned.  Maybe the injury will give us a discount.  This seems like the right type of system for him.  Add another corner  and keep Leonard Johnson as the 4th CB and we could be looking like a tough secondary.  EJ looks great when he's in the game.  Made a great tackle sunday on a screen play, he tackled the runner while being blocked at the line of scrimmage.  Add in another safety for depth and we would be looking at names for the secondary...

I was thinking the same regarding CBs: Tre, EJ, and LJ; then draft another somewhere in rounds 2-4.