Why Taylor can't be the QB longterm---perfect example today

Big Turk

48 minutes ago, grb said:

• So Peterman gets another chance to be Peterman because Taylor is Taylor? It's hard to follow that logic. Taylor is better than Peterman, and it's not even close.
  • McDermott / Beane / Dennison took a flyer with Peterman because they thought their "system" trumped skill, experience, talent, and established record. And there ain't much "calculation" behind thinking that weak. 
  • Peterman's "quick release" gives the Bills a chance in a "shootout" ? Could you please tell me how you came up with that? From NP's meh college career, maybe? Or perhaps his 50% passing in preseason for 5.4 yards per attempt?
  • I'll grant Peterman demonstrated he can put 30 points on the board. Unfortunately it's for the other team.
  • And that "quick release" you're so hot on? That just delivers the ball to the cornerbacks & safeties that much sooner.
  • The only people unaware of the Bills' abysmal offensive line are people who didn't notice it when Taylor was playing. I wonder why?

Yeah. I shouldn't be such a grouch; I know. But I live in a world where people are obsessed with one erratic throw Taylor made yesterday, and it was a completion no less. Meanwhile dead-enders plot the glorious resurrection of gawdforsaken Peterman, which is just pathetic. Personally I doubt he sees the field the remainder of the year. He made McDermott look like a fool, and Bills' coaches cannot afford to look ludicrous. The average career span for a Bill's coach this millennium is about 2.75 years, and the clock is ticking.

If McDermott needs another clown show I'm sure he'll just hire one of those Bozos who do kiddie birthday parties. 

You may be right that TT is better than NP, but I don't think anyone really knows at this point.  Again, I think we'll get a chance to see NP again, maybe by the half of the next game.

4 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Again, I think we'll get a chance to see NP again, maybe by the half of the next game.

I'd like to see Peterman again, only next pre-season.  Anytime before that means that either TT is injured or the particular game is not winnable; neither of which any of us should want to see.  I reluctantly rolled with the idea of starting Peterman against SD, but that turned out to be a huge mistake in retrospect.  So given that, I expect TT back as our starter in 2018 - we're not going to start a rookie QB we just drafted and I'd be surprised if Peterman beats out Tyrod next summer.

23 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

I don't think winning the SB would quiet some of the TT haters. Maybe they want another Jim Kelley.

Maybe when TT QBs a team deep into the playoffs can you compare him to JK.   Yes football fans can picture TT leading a team to hoist the Lombardi trophy.  Quick there after, their mom wakes them up in the basement.

3 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Hey Alpha dog, nice point with #2.  I agree.  I bet Peterman gets another chance at half time, because TT will be TT somewhere over the next 5 games.  Coach took a calculated risk with NP against Chargers because he felt that his quick release would give us a chance in a shoot out.  TT gives us no chance to score 30.  Coach's mistake was he miscalculated the ineptness of our OL.

I like Peterman too...by no means do I have some kind heavy confidence in him to be a starting quality QB, but I also think the potential is there.  He will get another chance, 1 game doesn't define a career.  I would like to see him again, but he certainly played his way out of getting that shot for as long as the Bills are in the playoff hunt and we are currently the 6th seed again after the KC win.  Unfortunately for NP, the way the AFC is and with 2 games agains Fins and one against Colts, its possible the Bills will have playoff hopes late into the season, so no guarantee that shot comes again this year.  Its possible week 17 could be a Win and we are IN type of game.

Edited by Alphadawg7

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Matthew Stafford missed a wide open Golden Tate on Thanksgiving with the game on the line and with very little pressure. If he makes that throw, Tate scores and ties the game. He also missed on his final fourth down throw to Marvin Jones. Goff clearly missed an open Watkins twice yesterday; one ended up resulting in a PI and the other in an INT. Among other misses yesterday, Alex Smith badly missed an open Tyreek Hill on the key 4th down play with 2:50 to go. It was a poor throw, but since it wasn't analyzed by Trent Green, no one is talking about it. But it was worse throw by far than Taylor's, which while not perfect was very catchable and certainly within the receiver's catch radius (at his knees, not his ankles).  

That's just games you & I saw.  Also watched a little of Baltimore and Flacco is terrible.  

Cam Newton had lousy stats this week too.  Dak the last three weeks is lost.  Blake Bortles will probably cost the Jags a chance at the Superbowl & Trubinsky playing like a rookie (though a #1, not fifth rounder).

Yes it is very fair to watch and highlight plays.   

We are on p.15 where some are complaining about a 15 yard completion.

I'll be honest I was fast forwarding the second half and didn't realize that Trent Green decided to analyze it to death as we have here.

Oh yea.....  Detroit, KC & Jacksonville & Chicago all lost too.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Ok, so now we’re putting Tyrod on same level as Stafford? Part of the problem with these arguments is that you’re comparing an isolated throw by one of the most gifted QBs in our time to Tyrod’s regularly errant throws. As for Goff, he’s a second year QB in NFL, and Smith has been abysmal in the last 5 weeks, so if we’re using that as the standard, I’d say we’ve lost the drive for excellence.

You and others like you will make excuses for Tyrod, as for me - I’m done. We have no other choice for this year and I hope the playoffs happen, however they happen, but for my take, I would do whatever is necessary to Draft the future of the franchise next April.

So what you're saying is ... don't compare Tyrod against his peers.  Only compare Tyrod to ... well... Tyrod.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

So what you're saying is ... don't compare Tyrod against his peers.  Only compare Tyrod to ... well... Tyrod.

Um, no. They're saying yeah, everybody makes mistakes. But saying that since everyone makes one here or there, however many Tyrod makes are OK is ridiculous.

Yes, every QB makes mistakes. Tyrod just makes them at a considerably higher rate. 

I do understand being a bit irritated with the OP's contention that one throw makes his argument. No one throw could. It's the rate they happen at. With Tyrod it's higher and especially when you look at the throws he didn't make but should have. It's a shame he's not better, but he's Tyrod. 

Pulling him shows what they think of him and undoubtedly pissed Tyrod off plenty as well.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are only three teams in the league that have done that. So no team out of 32 gets any credit for any win that was not against the Patriots, Eagles or Saints?

Really? Not the Steelers? 9-2 and one of those losses to Jax and they don' t get credit for consistency? Not the Rams with three losses, one to Minny and one to Seattle? Not the Vikes, with only two losses, one to the Steelers and they're not consistent? Not the Panthers? The Panthers did lose two in a row, but one of those losses was to Philly.

Granted not a ton of teams count, but those seven do, IMHO.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like Peterman too...by no means do I have some kind heavy confidence in him to be a starting quality QB, but I also think the potential is there.  He will get another chance, 1 game doesn't define a career.  I would like to see him again, but he certainly played his way out of getting that shot for as long as the Bills are in the playoff hunt and we are currently the 6th seed again after the KC win.  Unfortunately for NP, the way the AFC is and with 2 games agains Fins and one against Colts, its possible the Bills will have playoff hopes late into the season, so no guarantee that shot comes again this year.  Its possible week 17 could be a Win and we are IN type of game.

Good luck trying to convince people who thought he was terrible before the Bills signed him. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no. They're saying yeah, everybody makes mistakes. But saying that since everyone makes one here or there, however many Tyrod makes are OK is ridiculous.

Yes, every QB makes mistakes. Tyrod just makes them at a considerably higher rate. 

I do understand being a bit irritated with the OP's contention that one throw makes his argument. No one throw could. It's the rate they happen at. With Tyrod it's higher and especially when you look at the throws he didn't make but should have. It's a shame he's not better, but he's Tyrod. 

Pulling him shows what they think of him and undoubtedly pissed Tyrod off plenty as well.

You clearly didn't watch the Detroit game on Thanksgiving. Stafford, who is very good, was missing all day.

9 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

So I’m dense because you missed my point? Ok, so be it...and who’s whining? How about you read all my responses and see that I’m happy the Bills won and sincerely hope they keep winning...but that doesn’t mean they (or we) should be content with what is not great QB play. 

You can be, that’s your prerogative, but don’t confuse complacency with “dense”....until the  Bills acquire the kind of QB that can transcend the game, I will not be satisfied. I’m done with mediocre, or pedestrian, or “average”, and if that’s a point you can’t understand, then I’m not sure you should be trying to call out people for being “dense”.

This is a straw-man argument for a very simple reason: I'm pretty sure that there isn't a person on this board who doesn't think the Bills should draft a qb very early next draft. Meanwhile, we still have to finish this season with what we have, and Taylor is a lot better than the alternative. Again, though, no one here is advocating Taylor to be the long-term QB.

Edited by dave mcbride

I defend Taylor and am disgusted as to the coaching, the offensive playcalling by Dennison, putting Taylor in a position to not succeed, the trades tearing down the wr core of the Bills and how transparent it all is.

I however too want them to draft a qb high in the first round and get the weapons needed.  However those will not be in place in 2018, so you keepo Taylor, who has good contract and work at being successful on offense and putting a scheme that works.

Love Dennison who seemed to open up the offense for Peterman (with disastrous results).

Can't do that to a high first round draft pick in 2018......

On 11/26/2017 at 4:51 PM, jr1 said:

Tyrod beat Ryan, Carr, Winston and Smith this season

Totally missing what the OP is saying! He is spot on, understand the complexities of the game and you will “get it”. 

40 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I defend Taylor and am disgusted as to the coaching, the offensive playcalling by Dennison, putting Taylor in a position to not succeed, the trades tearing down the wr core of the Bills and how transparent it all is.

I however too want them to draft a qb high in the first round and get the weapons needed.  However those will not be in place in 2018, so you keepo Taylor, who has good contract and work at being successful on offense and putting a scheme that works.

Love Dennison who seemed to open up the offense for Peterman (with disastrous results).

Free Agency comes before the draft. A few good pickups- LB, DT, RB, WR and this team is in good shape going into the draft with all the stock in place. The key is to capitalize on it and make a run- 2018 may be great! 

Edited by billsfan_34

10 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Good luck trying to convince people who thought he was terrible before the Bills signed him. 

Im not trying to change peoples minds on Peterman, just shared that I still like him as a prospect and not going to let one game before he was ready define my opinion.  I don't think he should play again this year unless we are out of the playoffs officially though.  I also by no means think he is some savior...hes a prospect, nothing more, nothing less.  His college resume is MEH, but there are things about him to like and he could develop into a player.  But he's by no means there yet and may never get there.  Unfortunately he was so bad in his one chance that he now won't get another until we are out of the playoffs, but that may mean he doesn't play again.  The way the AFC is, our week 17 game could be a Win and we are IN game.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not trying to change peoples minds on Peterman, just shared that I still like him as a prospect and not going to let one game before he was ready define my opinion.  I don't think he should play again this year unless we are out of the playoffs officially though.  I also by no means think he is some savior...hes a prospect, nothing more, nothing less.  His college resume is MEH, but there are things about him to like and he could develop into a player.  But he's by no means there yet and may never get there.  Unfortunately he was so bad in his one chance that he now won't get another until we are out of the playoffs, but that may mean he doesn't play again.  The way the AFC is, our week 17 game could be a Win and we are IN game.  

Actually, I don't think Peterman's college resume is 'meh' at all. As a senior finished seventh in the nation in passer rating. 11th in total QBR. The Pitt offense finished 10th in the country in points per game. He leaves, and they finish 100th. Not a coincidence.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Actually, I don't think Peterman's college resume is 'meh' at all. As a senior finished seventh in the nation in passer rating. 11th in total QBR. The Pitt offense finished 10th in the country in points per game. He leaves, and they finish 100th. Not a coincidence.

So we started the 11th best quarterback in college? Wonder where that puts him when he graduated into a league that takes the best 5% of college players.

13 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I don't understand why we can't keep Tyrod until we find a guy that can beat him in camp. Long term or not I want to hold onto the quarterback that gives us the best chance to make the playoffs. Look at where are now!

23 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd like to see Peterman again, only next pre-season.  Anytime before that means that either TT is injured or the particular game is not winnable; neither of which any of us should want to see.  I reluctantly rolled with the idea of starting Peterman against SD, but that turned out to be a huge mistake in retrospect.  So given that, I expect TT back as our starter in 2018 - we're not going to start a rookie QB we just drafted and I'd be surprised if Peterman beats out Tyrod next summer.

This just in:  if the Pats are up 30-0 at the half, it will be Peterman time.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes. I see that handwriting on the wall.  So we either miss the playoffs by a smiggen, or we get in and get embarrassed.  In either case, we don't really know what we have in NP.  We're in no man's land.  Also, we get a mid-round draft pick.  Very frustrating.  Go Bills!!