Someone explain the process to me

KRT88

OK, "Trust the process," what does that mean?

March, we believe in Tyrod Taylor, I wouldn't have brought him back if we didn't believe in him.

OK, coch, why did you hire a coach who can't work with the ability level of the QB? Denison's system is trying to cram a square peg into the round hole.  It doesn't work.

Late April, we pass on a chance to draft a QB (Because he trust and believe in Tyrod) at #10 and draft down to collect draft picks.  Experts feel we are likely setting up drafting a QB in 2018, when class is deeper.  We pick up extra picks to fill holes.

The next day we draft away some of those draft picks to move up and pick an Offensive lineman.  I disagreed with this decision but it looks OK.

Preseason, we deal away out #1 WR and #1 corner within 20 minutes for extra draft picks.  OK, so the process is now clear, we will sacrifice this season to have a strong 2018! OK we have vision.

We start 5-2, we are contending with  decent schedule, so we shift into win now mode. Out offensive system has no vision, our QB cannot run the system he is being asked to do.  We then trade away Dareus because he hasn't bought into the teams visions and he's paid too much.  We get a wonderful 6th round pick.  Since that trade, our defense has been shredded every game and the past two, running the ball down out throats is normal.  I'm confused about the process because  few days after trading away Dareus you traded a valuable draft pick for Kelvin Benjamin, clearly a win now move. 

Now the Peterman decision, and this diaster

what is the process? To me it appears to be flip flopping and making it up on the fly.  At first I though well they are planning ahead but were they really?  All I know, is that I now have no faith in the coach and his process, because I just think that's some statement he picked up along the way. It's a clique, nothing more, it means nothing. 

They want to build a team that will be competitive for multiple years.

Part of the process was dismantling everything the previous front office did. This was mainly for cap reasons. There was little relief in sight, and the team was hovering around 8-8. They made the decision to tear it down. They never backed away from that plan even after starting well.

The next part of the process we all hope is going all out for a possible franchise QB. They will have ammo to make moves. Tyrod won't be here.

Everything the Bills do this year is for the future, even though they won't say that. McDermott did say something close, he said the moves they made are for the present and the future.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

March, we believe in Tyrod Taylor, I wouldn't have brought him back if we didn't believe in him.

OK, coch, why did you hire a coach who can't work with the ability level of the QB? Denison's system is trying to cram a square peg into the round hole.  It doesn't work.

Late April, we pass on a chance to draft a QB (Because he trust and believe in Tyrod) at #10 and draft down to collect draft picks.  Experts feel we are likely setting up drafting a QB in 2018, when class is deeper.  We pick up extra picks to fill holes.

The next day we draft away some of those draft picks to move up and pick an Offensive lineman.  I disagreed with this decision but it looks OK.

Preseason, we deal away out #1 WR and #1 corner within 20 minutes for extra draft picks.  OK, so the process is now clear, we will sacrifice this season to have a strong 2018! OK we have vision.

We start 5-2, we are contending with  decent schedule, so we shift into win now mode. Out offensive system has no vision, our QB cannot run the system he is being asked to do.  We then trade away Dareus because he hasn't bought into the teams visions and he's paid too much.  We get a wonderful 6th round pick.  Since that trade, our defense has been shredded every game and the past two, running the ball down out throats is normal.  I'm confused about the process because  few days after trading away Dareus you traded a valuable draft pick for Kelvin Benjamin, clearly a win now move. 

what is the process? To me it appears to be flip flopping and making it up on the fly.  At first I though well they are planning ahead but were they really?  All I know, is that I now have no faith in the coach and his process, because I just think that's some statement he picked up along the way. It's a clique, nothing more, it means nothing. 

I believe the "process" is a progressive improvement of the roster by 1) trials of all the current roster members in live combat to see who fits the mentality and schemes of the coaches , then adds and drops based on those trials (with disposals based on salary cap management in addition).    McD said it would take through October to see what he had.    It's a 2-3 year process; Yes they lucked into a couple extra wins via an abundance of turnovers /short fields, the "the process" goes on no matter what.  

Watkins and Dareus were largely mental fit and/or "end-of-rookie-deal" salary cap management moves that frankly, made sense.   Guys like Miller , TT  and Dareus did their trials and appeared to have failed, either because they physically can't do what Rico wants or (Dareus) are permanently broken headcases.    The Kelvin B move is simply ongoing roster improvement (roll of the dice to get that proven NFL talent in the draft at #3)  with a guy they know already is a fit mentally and schemewise.   

In theory, If the process is allowed to continue, the wins will come.   

Nate P went in as the next QB trial (TT having already pretty much failed the September-October test period).   I predicted NP would go in after the bye but was off by a couple weeks.   

I don't believe McBeanes will sacrifice "the process" in an attempt to sneak into the playoffs (and probably get blown up by whoever they play).   They are in this for the long term, 17 non playoff seasons mean little to "the process". 

Hey, don't look at me,  I wanted Rex gone, but not a complete coaching and front office blowup.   This is a restart.  Is what it is.   6-10 and a high draft pick , go get a couple QBs in the draft and move forward next year.   We all knew this is where we'd be.   I few extra turnovers just delayed "The Process" a couple weeks...... 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Part of the process was dismantling everything the previous front office did. This was mainly for cap reasons. There was little relief in sight, and the team was hovering around 8-8. They made the decision to tear it down. They never backed away from that plan even after starting well.

The next part of the process we all hope is going all out for a possible franchise QB. They will have ammo to make moves. Tyrod won't be here.

Everything the Bills do this year is for the future, even though they won't say that. McDermott did say something close, he said the moves they made are for the present and the future.

Great post; this team was destined to hit rock bottom, if anyone seriously thinks the 2017 Bills were playoff contenders they were sadly mistaken - that includes Darius, Watkins, and Darby. Check out the 1989 Cowboys, a new Head Coach and owner who unloaded players for Draft Picks and then went on to build a power house, BTW, the finished 1989 1 - 13 and the fan base ready to lynch - America's Team 1 - 13. Bill Polian once stated the reason the Bills hit rock bottom so often is they hang onto fan favorites for too long; he was referring to 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984. 

The 2018 Draft is critical, this will be the new regimes operation and it needs to be good. As for me, I am still ready to trust the process, this organization has been horrible for 17 years, would rather be 5 - 11 and at least trying a new approach then continue at 8 - 8 forever!

We needed to be 7-3 going into the last 6 weeks plain and simple.

Even with Tyrod Bills get swept by the Pats, Lose to KC especially at KC and we probably don’t sweep Miami.

and guess what, we lose to the Jets and Saints. Add in the 3, 100% losses above plus maybe a Miami loss. 8-8. At best.

its evaluation time. And to be honest, I know and this team knows what we have in Tyrod. I would rather them evaluate Peterman over the next 6 weeks then to see Tyrod take us to a 3-3 record (at best) over the next 6 weeks. I’m done with Tyrod, he won’t be here next year regardless.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

22 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Great post; this team was destined to hit rock bottom, if anyone seriously thinks the 2017 Bills were playoff contenders they were sadly mistaken - that includes Darius, Watkins, and Darby. Check out the 1989 Cowboys, a new Head Coach and owner who unloaded players for Draft Picks and then went on to build a power house, BTW, the finished 1989 1 - 13 and the fan base ready to lynch - America's Team 1 - 13. Bill Polian once stated the reason the Bills hit rock bottom so often is they hang onto fan favorites for too long; he was referring to 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984. 

The 2018 Draft is critical, this will be the new regimes operation and it needs to be good. As for me, I am still ready to trust the process, this organization has been horrible for 17 years, would rather be 5 - 11 and at least trying a new approach then continue at 8 - 8 forever!

100% this year for the most part has been structured to build for the future. Next draft is critical, and they’ve said all along building through the draft. 

The next 2 drafts and offseasons will hopefully get this team to a place higher then we’ve been in 18 years.

McDermott and Beane aren’t the problem, it’s the will power and patience of the fans. Teams can’t come out and say “yup we are tanking” but this is what rebuilding looks like and rebuilding leads to a lot of bad games. But in a rebuilding year you’re basically evaluating EVERYONE!!! I want to see more Peterman.

1 hour ago, KRT88 said:

Seems as though it is to really lose as much as possible and build their way all while telling everyone it's all about winning now. Right now nothing makes sense as it all looks like one big contradiction. 

Edited by PeterGriffin

49 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

this is correct.

its tough... and made tougher to deal with in light of the 5-2 start.  behind closed doors, beane and mcdermott were probably "hoping" for 6 wins in a transitional season.  

the bills' roster is terrible on multiple position groups.  they are showing it on the field.  teams are exposing weak spots on the o line and lb corps.  shredding.  

they probably recognize, even an 8-8 6th place is fools gold and this team doesnt stand a chance to win at a division winner.  they know a franchise altering qb decision is looming, and they wanted to see if they had anything in peterman

41 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

I believe the "process" is a progressive improvement of the roster by 1) trials of all the current roster members in live combat to see who fits the mentality and schemes of the coaches , then adds and drops based on those trials (with disposals based on salary cap management in addition).    McD said it would take through October to see what he had.    It's a 2-3 year process; Yes they lucked into a couple extra wins via an abundance of turnovers /short fields, the "the process" goes on no matter what.  

Watkins and Dareus were largely mental fit and/or "end-of-rookie-deal" salary cap management moves that frankly, made sense.   Guys like Miller , TT  and Dareus did their trials and appeared to have failed, either because they physically can't do what Rico wants or (Dareus) are permanently broken headcases.    The Kelvin B move is simply ongoing roster improvement (roll of the dice to get that proven NFL talent in the draft at #3)  with a guy they know already is a fit mentally and schemewise.   

In theory, If the process is allowed to continue, the wins will come.   

Nate P went in as the next QB trial (TT having already pretty much failed the September-October test period).   I predicted NP would go in after the bye but was off by a couple weeks.   

I don't believe McBeanes will sacrifice "the process" in an attempt to sneak into the playoffs (and probably get blown up by whoever they play).   They are in this for the long term, 17 non playoff seasons mean little to "the process". 

Hey, don't look at me,  I wanted Rex gone, but not a complete coaching and front office blowup.   This is a restart.  Is what it is.   6-10 and a high draft pick , go get a couple QBs in the draft and move forward next year.   We all knew this is where we'd be.   I few extra turnovers just delayed "The Process" a couple weeks...... 

I agree 100^

The defensive scheme is worthless with zero pass rush, also needs better talent in the linebacking. I think everyone is on the quarterback hype train but I honestly think they’ll do a similar draft to last year. 

Trading back for more picks and drafting defensive guys to make an impact. I think they’ll attempt to sign a stop gap quarterback like Alex Smith if he hits free agency and then go big the following year for a quarterback. Of course I know nothing lol and this front officer has proven more than once they are unpredictable 

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Heh.  Yeah, everything the Bills and Sabres have done the past decade has been “for the future “.  Meanwhile, other teams continue to eat our lunch and laugh at us in the process (no pun intended).

Edited by RiotAct

I believe that head coaches in the NFL are intelligent people.  They must have a plan.  But there are so many things I have never understood...

EVERY coach says they are not married to a scheme, and will adapt to the players that are on the roster.  Maybe Belichick does and maybe that's his secret.  I know Brady is possibly the GOAT, but their defense always rises above expectations, they seem to plug in receivers and running backs without much drop off.  But Rex didn't do it.  McDermitt isn't doing it.  I don't buy into the idea that you jettison players that are too big, too small, too slow, have slow eyes, or whatever the problem is. 

You are a smart person. You have coached on many levels.  Scout your own team and figure out how to use them.  It doesn't seem that hard.  Start by adjusting responsibilities of DL, LB, CB and S until you get an effective unit.  That really doesn't seem like a stretch.