Someone explain the process to me

KRT88

9 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

McDermott is maybe the 50th coach in sports I've heard use "Trust the process" this year.

Yeah, and I'm not sure the Bills are doing it right....according to that article, step one: get your new QB with your new coach.

Hoping the reason this didn't happen was due to Beane not on staff at time of the Draft, otherwise...once again, no real hope for true change.

44 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Yeah, and I'm not sure the Bills are doing it right....according to that article, step one: get your new QB with your new coach.

Hoping the reason this didn't happen was due to Beane not on staff at time of the Draft, otherwise...once again, no real hope for true change.

Step 1 here was fix the cap.

4 hours ago, KRT88 said:

OK, "Trust the process," what does that mean?

March, we believe in Tyrod Taylor, I wouldn't have brought him back if we didn't believe in him.

OK, coch, why did you hire a coach who can't work with the ability level of the QB? Denison's system is trying to cram a square peg into the round hole.  It doesn't work.

Late April, we pass on a chance to draft a QB (Because he trust and believe in Tyrod) at #10 and draft down to collect draft picks.  Experts feel we are likely setting up drafting a QB in 2018, when class is deeper.  We pick up extra picks to fill holes.

The next day we draft away some of those draft picks to move up and pick an Offensive lineman.  I disagreed with this decision but it looks OK.

Preseason, we deal away out #1 WR and #1 corner within 20 minutes for extra draft picks.  OK, so the process is now clear, we will sacrifice this season to have a strong 2018! OK we have vision.

We start 5-2, we are contending with  decent schedule, so we shift into win now mode. Out offensive system has no vision, our QB cannot run the system he is being asked to do.  We then trade away Dareus because he hasn't bought into the teams visions and he's paid too much.  We get a wonderful 6th round pick.  Since that trade, our defense has been shredded every game and the past two, running the ball down out throats is normal.  I'm confused about the process because  few days after trading away Dareus you traded a valuable draft pick for Kelvin Benjamin, clearly a win now move. 

Now the Peterman decision, and this diaster

what is the process? To me it appears to be flip flopping and making it up on the fly.  At first I though well they are planning ahead but were they really?  All I know, is that I now have no faith in the coach and his process, because I just think that's some statement he picked up along the way. It's a clique, nothing more, it means nothing. 

Refer to Darcy Regier - There's going to be some suffering first.

Year 1, evaluate what they have to work with and build around

Year 2, continue to add and subtract players to fit what they want to do

Year 3, Now that you have all your people on the field, it's win or go look for a new job

Edited by BmarvB

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. A part of building a culture though is getting buy-in and growing it. A lot of guys that were tough in different locker rooms matured in a strong locker room. The Patriots have a bunch of examples like that. You should have made an effort to bring along the talented guys instead of replacing them so early in “the process.”

Trust the process is actually a quote from former Sixers GM (and genius) Sam Hinkie that McDermott stole. 

Kidding, right?

Anyone want to know what the process is?............basically McBeane can come in and do whatever they want to this franchise and get away with it because, hey, its the process.

The process can mean absolutely anything.

Crappy team?.......its the process

Crappy play on the field each week?..........its the process.

FO can cut, replace or shun players however they choose?..........its the process

The process is a "get out of jail free" card, man..........blame it all on the process and no one is held accountable for failure.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The best way to do that is trade a good 23 year old Cb on a rookie contract, a 24 year old #1 receiver, and a 27 year old monster DT that you are paying anyways? That doesn’t feel like the place you start your rebuild. You start by moving on from guys like Kyle, Wood and Lorax that are in their 30’s, highly compensated and a shell of their former selves.

This.  Keep the young talent you have, and figure out how to use it to best advantage.  If you need to move on, move on from aging vets who are hitting the wall - look for trade partners who through injury may find themselves needing Just That Guy.

8 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

They want to build a team that will be competitive for multiple years.

Part of the process was dismantling everything the previous front office did. This was mainly for cap reasons. There was little relief in sight, and the team was hovering around 8-8. They made the decision to tear it down. They never backed away from that plan even after starting well.

The next part of the process we all hope is going all out for a possible franchise QB. They will have ammo to make moves. Tyrod won't be here.

Everything the Bills do this year is for the future, even though they won't say that. McDermott did say something close, he said the moves they made are for the present and the future.

This is pretty much it. The fans that are just chanting "process!" after every win or loss are out of the loop. It doesn't refer to weekly game planning. The team is going to primarily be built through the draft, not FA.

And that's another important thing to note -- they haven't even started building the team yet. All the fan whining to date has been about how they are tearing the team down.

If a player does not fit into their long-range plans for 2019, 2020, and beyond they are getting shipped out (prepare for the end of Kyle and Shady).

The short version of the process is:

Gut the lousy team Whaley and others built here; eliminate all bad Ks; free up cap room; deal to acquire extra draft picks; build a strong core of a team from within using the draft; try to acquire many young players on the cheap who can play now....and build a winning team that stays that way for a while.

And then remember that this takes time and won't get fixed in 3 weeks.

I.E., "trust the process."