Did we have to announce Peterman as the starter?

JÂy RÛßeÒ

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

This is the perfect game to start him. We're playing a 3-6 team in a stadium that holds 25000 people. This is as perfect a time for Peterman as it gets 

Not only that, but the visiting team usually has more fans than the Chargers.

I'm not commenting whether or not I think it was the right move.  (I'm OK with it, BTW)  I'm just asking if there's an actual reason that we announced it to the world on Wednesday rather than keeping the Chargers guessing.

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'm not commenting whether or not I think it was the right move.  (I'm OK with it, BTW)  I'm just asking if there's an actual reason that we announced it to the world on Wednesday rather than keeping the Chargers guessing.

There is nothing that requires we make an announcement other than good leadership skills. It would have gotten out, and then it would have been a rumor/leak which is not a good look. Better to get out in front of it and own the decision and control the spin so there isnt unnecessary drama and distraction.

I was thinking the same in the main thread. Why not say nothing until you absolutely have to? Wouldn't that be 2:00 pm Sunday?

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There is nothing that requires we make an announcement other than good leadership skills. It would have gotten out, and then it would have been a rumor/leak which is not a good look. Better to get out in front of it and own the decision and control the spin so there isnt unnecessary drama and distraction.

Probably the best possible explanation.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I get the OP's point. If possible, then why not use the Chargers' lack of information against them?

Sure, that would have been nice. But players talk. Someone anonymous player would have talked to Josina Anderson, then ESPN would blow it up, and then there would be all sorts of speculation and the team loses control of the story. That would have been a Rex/Whaley  move. McBeane is better than that.