Most disrespectful play? The timeout on 3rd &1

JerseyBills

Just now, Doc Brown said:

He showed faith in his defense.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's not like he was airing the ball out when they were up 40 to 3. 

No, the Bills D may have had a chance at stopping that.......

He was going for it on 4th down at that point (or close to it)

Before half time I have no problem with teams going for as many points as they can or doing whatever they have to to get a big lead, but once its evident the other team is giving up and pretty much calling mercy, then its time to let off the gas 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no such thing as running up the score in the NFL.....they are pros...not some kids at the park playing on Friday night....Did any of the Bills players complained about it ?....they are paid to stop the other team....feeling disrespected by that is just a silly fan thing....

10 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

In the past points scored I believe were used in playoff tie breakers, etc. A good team had a bad team on the ropes. Like 51-3 Bills. 

If it was McD doing it would you still have the same opinion? I know most would love it. 

Seeing as how I can remember the last time the bills had either a defence that having a 30 point lead is safe with, or an offence that could put up a 30 point lead on the other team, its not easy to answer that question, but I don't think I would be yelling at the TV for him to go for it on 4th down when they have a commanding lead like that. Unless its the patriots, but they deserve decades of misery and no respect........

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ridiculous take. WithTed Ginn as the Punt Returner why not call a timeout. It's football at the highest level, not Pee Wee where everyone gets a participation trophy. 

Because with 1 yard to go , the offense usually converts. With just over a minute and 2 timeouts, he gave us another very valuable timeout at the time. 99% of the time , you will not see a defense call a timeout, giving the offense extra ammunition to score before half. Payton knew we couldn't gain 1 freaking yard on them and that is disrespect imo, which this Bills team deserved at that time..

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He showed faith in his defense.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's not like he was airing the ball out when they were up 40 to 3. 

I personally don't recall EVER seeing this in another NFL game.. so I guess it was kind of shocking more than anything, that it was N.O that called a timeout..

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I personally don't recall EVER seeing this in another NFL game.. so I guess it was kind of shocking more than anything, that it was N.O that called a timeout..

I don't remember the exact play.  Is it possible they had the wrong personnel on the field or some other problem with their defense? 

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

On 3rd and 1 yard before Halftime, when the game was relatively close , Sean Payton calls a timeout, showing blatant disrespect for the Bills offense. I don't recall ever seeing the defense call a timeout on 3rd and 1 , with over a minute to play in the half.. 

Of course we didn't convert and we punted, Saints had no timeouts left and ultimately didn't even try to  score but I don't recall this play being brought up, and it was a play that stood out to me during this debacle of a game.. 

Holy homer.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not their job to show us respect.  We should have earned it, but didn't.

Sean Payton is the type of coach I would like to see Sean McDermott become more like: killer instinct, put the pedal to the metal

Honestly, I think Sean Payton squandered much of Drew Brees' career. They may sneak out another Super Bowl this year but I really think Brees is the type of caliber player that he should have at least 2-3 rings, he is that good.

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

On 3rd and 1 yard before Halftime, when the game was relatively close , Sean Payton calls a timeout, showing blatant disrespect for the Bills offense. I don't recall ever seeing the defense call a timeout on 3rd and 1 , with over a minute to play in the half.. 

Of course we didn't convert and we punted, Saints had no timeouts left and ultimately didn't even try to  score but I don't recall this play being brought up, and it was a play that stood out to me during this debacle of a game.. 

This is a very smart play.  Respect has nothing to do with it.  Also, you try to crush your opponent, not make sure feelings aren't hurt.  Sheesh

16 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Honestly, I think Sean Payton squandered much of Drew Brees' career. They may sneak out another Super Bowl this year but I really think Brees is the type of caliber player that he should have at least 2-3 rings, he is that good.

Was that Sean Payton or their FO who, from what I understand, did a poor job of managing the salary cap.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Was that Sean Payton or their FO who, from what I understand, did a poor job of managing the salary cap.

They went 21-27 over the last 3 years, Payton would be gone if it weren't for this year. Whether that's because of the FO, I don't know but going 21-27 with a HOF QB on your roster is pretty sketchy.

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Theres a difference between playing to win and being disrespectful/running up the score.

Some people are raised to show respect and know when to let up, others have to continue to beat up on the weak because they have to compensate for other shortcomings and make themselves feel better.

I get what you are saying .... but what more could the Saints do to NOT run up the score than run the ball up the middle 24 consecutive times? Would you have felt it was more "respectful" for them to punt the ball back to the Bills on first downs rather than running a play????

2 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I get what you are saying .... but what more could the Saints do to NOT run up the score than run the ball up the middle 24 consecutive times? Would you have felt it was more "respectful" for them to punt the ball back to the Bills on first downs rather than running a play????

That's not the issue, going for it on 4th down late in the game while up by around 30 is the issue. Jokingly I said they could have tried throwing the ball instead of running cause the Bills may have had a better chance stopping them. 

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Disrespect? The only disrespect on display at Same Ol' Era was the performance of the home team.  Stupid thread.