Favorite Pizzerias in WNY

Buffalo716

Scanned through the thread and not sure if it was answered, but Casa di Pizza moved downtown. The space isn’t as nice, but the pizza still is. 

Moved out to Snyder a year ago, and I have to say, We weren’t taken by Bocce. Maybe it was a bad day. 

Frank’s Sunny Italy on Delaware does a nice pie. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/23/2017 at 2:30 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yep

pizza and wings are getting expensive.

chicken wings are super expensive that's why they are pretty much a dollar a wing now everywhere 

We've never had bad food from your place...but you are a bit pricey.

On 12/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, TPS said:

Scanned through the thread and not sure if it was answered, but Casa di Pizza moved downtown. The space isn’t as nice, but the pizza still is. 

Moved out to Snyder a year ago, and I have to say, We weren’t taken by Bocce. Maybe it was a bad day. 

Frank’s Sunny Italy on Delaware does a nice pie. 

Love the sweet sauce at Frank's,linguini w/red sauce is my favorite for a dish.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ingredient prices literally go up monthly. Pizza business is tough in Buffalo with all the competition.

ive been getting the wings from the same place for years. They used to be big , plump and juicy. Then a year ago they started getting smaller and more bony. Then the quality wasn't good enough so I had to buy their next step up which is more $$$

happens a lot unfortunately 

I know what you’re saying, and I’m sure you get this, but TOO big and plump is actually a bad thing in my mind. My favorite local joint in my old home town had good food, but lousy wings. They were super jumbo style and they just never perfected them. Oh,  how I miss good pizza and wings....

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's definitely a perfect medium.

the only place that has jumbo wings that are routinely superb imo are Duffs if you consider them Jumbo and Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse , Rochester and Buffalo all Smoke jumbo wings and they are top Notch but really expensive 

I think my all time personal favorite (though surely  not the consensus “best”) was a place on the east side of Transit maybe north of Klein and south of N French...Rosie’s or Rossi’s(?) back in the mid 70’s. THAT is where I fell in love with wings. A small house turned wing/pizza joint I think, probably long gone. Details are sketchy other than the great taste of the wings. Oh, my....

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's definitely a perfect medium.

the only place that has jumbo wings that are routinely superb imo are Duffs if you consider them Jumbo and Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse , Rochester and Buffalo all Smoke jumbo wings and they are top Notch but really expensive 

I'm willing to bet that people come to your place because of your rich sweet pizza sauce and the higher quality of your mozzarella cheese....not the wings.I can go to Otto's or almost any corner gin mill for wings...just a deep fry..franks and butter...but creating a solid pizza takes some skill and high standard ingredients.For example...do you think anybody in buffalo would rank you below a chain like little ceasars or domino's? No Way! You rank right up there with Bocce Club IMO..

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Never had Roz's

where in Cheektowaga?

I cant remember

We went there when i was 7-10 

But just remember how awesome they were growing up in Cheektowaga

I've been to the big tree a couple times after going to some games over the years

My father says that roz's has the best wings out of any place in Buffalo so I'm not sure take it for what it is

One of my goals in life is to see if I can eat more chicken wings in one hour then 1 hour then Ruben Brown

Edited by westerndecline

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

On a small side road off French..in a plaza by Kelly park.you have to be a local to find it or know about it...close to the pizza factory on Borden and French.

Well I've lived in Buffalo and Cheektowaga all my life so it must be a well kept secret! But with all the pizza places you can never find them all ! Even if you try!

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I've lived in Buffalo and Cheektowaga all my life so it must be a well kept secret! But with all the pizza places you can never find them all ! Even if you try!

I wouldn't call it a secret,it's just tucked away and not noticed by folks traveling on French.It's a local spot...much like t/k on Clinton in west seneca,Ronny's in Lancaster on Como and aurora or Macy's on genesee.Roz's has been around for at least 20 or so yrs...

2 hours ago, westerndecline said:

One of my goals in life is to see if I can eat more chicken wings in one hour then 1 hour then Ruben Brown

Sometimes your lazy writing is just an annoyance.

Other times it's a humorous malapropism.

Your misuse of the word "then" instead of "than" reveals that one of your "goals in life" is to eat Ruben Brown, but only after eating "more chicken wings."

That's one lofty goal.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

Sometimes your lazy writing is just an annoyance.

Other times it's a humorous malapropism.

Your misuse of the word "then" instead of "than" reveals that one of your "goals in life" is to eat Ruben Brown, but only after eating "more chicken wings."

That's one lofty goal.

Its my text to talk. It.sucks.

Here watch... Im going to explain it again 

Going up we did like Roz's a lot but I'm not really familiar with other places besides the big tree I've been to the big tree couple of times when I saw the Bills play Through the Years I was hoping to run into Ruben Brown to see if I can eat more chicken wings than him I always thought Ruben Brown was better than will Wolford

Text to talk blows

• 3 weeks later...

Raymondo's pizzeria on East Delavan in Buffalo/Cheektowaga is very good. 

You have to ask specifically for the "sweet sauce" on your pizza though. Their regular pizza is good, but their pizza with sweet sauce is amazing. The sauce is unreal. 

They have probably the best honey mustard wings I've had, too. 

All of their wings are good. Love their BBQ, used to love the hot but my stomach doesn't allow that anymore... 

Carbone's has great honey mustard wings as well. Good pizza too.

Chick n' pizza works also has some good pizza from what I remember. Haven't had them in a while but the last time I did the pizza was delicious. 

6 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Picasso's owned Nick's Pizza Express on Harlem and Cleveland before the developers (Benderson) bought up that area..solid pizza for sure.Where is Bella...do you mean Casa De Bella on genesse?

Bella is on South Park and they have another on on route 5 in Hamburg and one in Boston ny..

On 11/10/2017 at 8:52 AM, thebandit27 said:

Bocce on Bailey will always be #1

La Hacienda on Hertel is also excellent

If you like Rocco's, have you made your way out to Roost on Niagara St?

They have awesome variety, and the pizza menu changes every other week or so--pizzas cook in about 90 seconds.

Yes! I use to work there

13 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

John and Mary's in Hamburg closed up today because of a fire,the only location left now is on Harlem by Cleve Hill HS..and they no longer sell pizza. That long time local chain looks to be finished.

There is a John & Mary's on Transit, just south of Genesee St.  I think there is also one on Broadway in Alden, but it's been a while since I've been out that way.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

There is a John & Mary's on Transit, just south of Genesee St.  I think there is also one on Broadway in Alden, but it's been a while since I've been out that way.

The one on Transit by Salvatore's closed years ago..I never knew they reopened.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:28 AM, mead107 said:

Where is the nearest Domino’s

Not far enough.

Best pizza in town:

1) Imperial

2) La Nova.

3) Bocce

Of note, there were some references here to Casa, formerly on Elmwood.

It closed after a food poisoning issue and have since maintained their new location downtown just off Main.

jw

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Not far enough.

Best pizza in town:

1) Imperial

2) La Nova.

3) Bocce

It closed after a food poisoning issue and have since maintained their new location downtown just off Main.

jw

Hmmm I haven't had imperial in a while

19 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Not far enough.

Best pizza in town:

1) Imperial

2) La Nova.

3) Bocce

jw

Can't speak for the other two, but LaNova to me is quite possibly the worst pizza I have ever eaten. Give me a Dominos Pan Pizza overt that stuff, and I put Dominos pan pizza just slightly ahead of cardboard.

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 11:26 AM, LabattBlue said:

Thought the one on Broadway in Alden was still open, but haven't driven past there in ~5 years.  Not since LaPaloma's moved closer to the village.

22 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

My mission is accomplished!:lol:

I should say I am not a fan of "buffalo" style pizza, and LaNova is certainly that!

Thanks, now that’s one more place I have to eat when I go back! I’m a Bocce guy, and I’m not even sure if I’ve ever had LaNova, but if you hate it because it’s “Buffalo pizza”, I’ve got to try it! 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Thanks, now that’s one more place I have to eat when I go back! I’m a Bocce guy, and I’m not even sure if I’ve ever had LaNova, but if you hate it because it’s “Buffalo pizza”, I’ve got to try it! 

I will have you know my food recommendations are universally recognized as being "perfect"...If I say it, it is so!

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I will have you know my food recommendations are universally recognized as being "perfect"...If I say it, it is so!

I’m sorry to say I’m more familiar with your output than your intake.  :huh:

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Had Picassos this afternoon...

it literally is perfect!

Whether you like Buffalo pizza or not, the thing that ALWAYS strikes me when I go home is just how freaking expensive pizza and wings are in WNY. I just looked at Picassos menu, and as a "special" they have a medium pizza and 15 wings for $27! With tax and tip, that's $35 dollars to have it deliverd...holy smokes!!! 

For the World Junior game, we ordered a large pizza and 30 wings from some place on GI, and it was like $45 . For freaking pizza and wings??? 

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Whether you like Buffalo pizza or not, the thing that ALWAYS strikes me when I go home is just how freaking expensive pizza and wings are in WNY. I just looked at Picassos menu, and as a "special" they have a medium pizza and 15 wings for $27! With tax and tip, that's $35 dollars to have it deliverd...holy smokes!!! 

For the World Junior game, we ordered a large pizza and 30 wings from some place on GI, and it was like $45 . For freaking pizza and wings??? 

Last trip home I noticed it really went up!  Used to be cheap... Now I am dropping 50-60 bucks!  Used to be one of the better things about BFLo pizza & wings, a good deal... Not no more, just as expensive as here in Chicago.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Last trip home I noticed it really went up!  Used to be cheap... Now I am dropping 50-60 bucks!  Used to be one of the better things about BFLo pizza & wings, a good deal... Not no more, just as expensive as here in Chicago.

Raw wing prices have gone up 1/3 since last summer.   10# bags of frozen wings that were sold for $18 @ BJ's are now $24/bag. :(