The Cap Dilemma in 2018

My tea leaves say that Kyle Williams retires......who is commanding what.....7 million dollars?

You can expect that huge amount of draft picks to be replacing players that are commanding too much dollars

Kyle Williams DT 34 BUF TBD $7,433,333 UFA - Retires
Jordan Matthews WR 25 BUF TBD $1,237,317 UFA - Gets extended.....I think the bills like him
Shareece Wright CB 30 BUF TBD $1,100,000 UFA -Cut
Brandon Tate WR 30 BUF TBD $1,010,000 UFA -Cut
Mike Tolbert FB 31 BUF TBD $980,000 UFA -Cut
Ramon Humber OLB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -Cut
Colt Anderson SS 32 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -Cut
Joe Webb QB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -I have a feeling he sticks around
Leonard Johnson CB 27 BUF TBD $855,000 UFA -Totally staying
Cedric Thornton DT 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -Possible cut
Taiwan Jones RB 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -Cut
Shamarko Thomas SS 26 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -Could possibly stay on cheap contract
Travaris Cadet RB 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -Havent seen him play yet
Deonte Thompson WR 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -I think he is staying
Preston Brown ILB 25 BUF TBD $751,438 UFA -I have a feeling he is gone
Jerel Worthy DT 27 BUF TBD $600,000 UFA -Would like to see him stay
E.J. Gaines CB 25 BUF TBD $581,918 UFA -Need to see more.....a very good player who is hurt
Seantrel Henderson RT 25 BUF TBD $567,720 UFA

Cut

Also dont be suprised to see some players like Richie Incognito get cut and a younger player put into that spot......

10 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

That would add $12M, giving us $33M without re-signing everybody and not including rookie contracts.

I don't think the $33M includes the next yearly increase . After 2018 dead cap about $18M should be gone, mostly from Dareus.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You re-sign WR Matthews, CB Gaines and maybe WR Thompson to a cheap deal. All those other players are expendable, bring back meatball if he takes a pretty hefty pay cut.

Because players are in this business to sign cheap deals

The Bills have no cap concerns. They have a ton of space and have even more moving forward. They aren’t hindered in any way. 

With that hat being said the interesting question to me is which free agents do you bring back? For me it’s Gaines, Thompson, Worthy, Brown, Humber and maybe Tate and/or Taiwan Jones.

13 hours ago, Chilly said:

Priority from this list is Preston Brown and E.J. Gaines.  Matthews would be nice cheap but he's going to get too much $$$ and Kelvin/Zay are the #1/#2 for next year; I would expect him to be gone.

Guys that are maybes depending on $$$:

• Kyle Williams
  • Leonard Johnson
  • Cedric Thornton
  • Jerel Worthy
  • Shareece Wright
  • Deonte Thompson (fits the big WR mold they like)

I don't think anyone on that list is really necessary, though they will have to spend resources to build DL depth if they let them all go.  I imagine the most likely to get back is Kyle Williams - at his age, he won't be getting a big contract from anyone.

I don't view Preston Brown as a priority and would like to see us upgrade the position with a high end draft pick

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Spotrac says $21 million, 14th highest in the league. 

I don’t think that accounts for the rollover or increase or obvious cap changes (ie you save $2M by dumping Mills). $52M is the number that I saw not long ago. Now I think that Benjamin obviously takes a piece but the Bills have no cap constraints.  

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that accounts for the rollover or increase or obvious cap changes (ie you save $2M by dumping Mills). $52M is the number that I saw not long ago. Now I think that Benjamin obviously takes a piece but the Bills have no cap constraints.  

There shouldn't be much fretting about the cap situation because there is now cap space, and next year with the added high picks there should be a number of cheap draftees who make the roster. What is just as important as the actual cap is the distribution of the cap throughout the roster. Allowing Gilmore to leave, dealing Watkins and trading Dareus are not just player transactions but also cap transactions that create better balance in that area. 

What seems apparent to me is that this new regime is more strategic in handling the cap than Whaley was. The former GMo seemed to act in a more case by case basis without less consideration for the longer term ramifications. 

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I agree KW will most likely retire.

Out of that list I think Gaines and JMatt should be resigned.

We have already established that we disagree in Matthews but do you think it’s wise to give you number 3 WR $8M+? That’s what it will take and then Benjamin is a FA after next year. He’s probably going to be over $10M. That’s feels like a terrible use of cap space. I’d rather give $2M-$3M to Thompson and draft another. Roll with Benjamin-Zay-Rookie-Thompson and Reilly/Dupre.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s true of all teams though. No one is a better example than next week’s opponent. They ALWAYS just kick the can down the road. Every team has bad contracts. The Bills don’t (and really didn’t) have a bunch of contracts out of whack. When the money is going to your best players at the most important positions (QB, pass rush, LT, impact skill player, shutdown CB) you are in okay shape. 

My main issue with Whaley in terms of contracts was that the Dareus contract wasn’t protected against another failed test. The Bills has to account for that and didn’t.