Bills Sign RB Travaris Cadet

Just now, JinxedBill1 said:

Good signing imo.  ST ability and a steady runner.  Falls forward and can catch.

Kick return experience as well which means he can be the second deep man with Tate when needed

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Pass catcher, kick returner that has spent a lot of time with the Saints? Sure why not

...prolly should e-mail Dennison with a "NOTICE OF SKILLS ASSESSMENT" so we don't replicate..."Tolbert up the gut......Spiller between G&T......Reggie reverse or of course the Shaud draw on 3rd and 28" debacles.......

Here is Sean Payton's review, who says he worked "closely" with Cadet for three years.  Emphasizes repeated pass catching skills and intelligence.  Sounds like a good pick-up, and consistent with the guys McBeane go after.  Funny, the reason says he couldn't keep Cadet is there was no room after they signed Spiller:

“Number one, he’s a real smart player,” Payton told reporters of the 26-year-old Cadet. “He’s exceptional as a receiver. His ability to run routes other than just from the running back route tree, he is someone that can jump in the receiver line and run out-routes and run comebacks and actually has experience doing that.”

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Cadet accumulated 41 games of experience for New Orleans, factoring in as a gunner and returner on kickoffs, as well as into the offense a pass-catching option.

“When he came to us as a free agent in ’12, he came the first week or two and he was in receiver meetings and receiver drills,” Payton said of the Appalachian State, Pearl River Community College and Toledo product.

He was seldom featured for pass protection – something Payton estimates No. 39 participated in about a dozen times per season – but Cadet caught 45 passes for 345 yards and two touchdowns during his Saints career.

He had 38 catches for 291 yards and one score last season.

“He’s exceptionally smart. He’s a great teammate. He’s someone we would have wanted to have back if were we not able to sign C.J. Spiller,” Payton said of the once-restricted free agent. “But I would say his hands and his football IQ are exceptional.”

I liked Banyard in the off season.  When I heard of Jones injury I thought we would bring him back again as he knows the system.  I guess they want to move in a different direction. Welcome Cadet, let's hope you find success here.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

i'm not saying he would be a difference maker, but the Bills were not very smart to let Gillislee walk since there appeared to be no viable plan to have a backup RB.

Tolbert is not a backup.

You might as well have gone for the daily double and bought up Jonathon Williams departure too.

It should be noted that as far as Gillislee is concerned, the bills were interested I keeping him. They were trying to sign him long term. I don’t think they expected him to get an offer sheet like that given the poor RB FA market and the fact a team would need to give up a pick. I’m sure it was a difficult choice. Ultimately the 5th they got in return is the one they used on matt Milano. At this point I’d certainly prefer to have him over the backups we have now. But they did want him initially, at their price. The cap # between he and Shady if they matched NE’s offer would have been pretty unappetizing.

I wonder if they initially liked Jwill and then he fell out of favor. They didn’t even want him on their PS.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It should be noted that as far as Gillislee is concerned, the bills were interested I keeping him. They were trying to sign him long term. I don’t think they expected him to get an offer sheet like that given the poor RB FA market and the fact a team would need to give up a pick. I’m sure it was a difficult choice. Ultimately the 5th they got in return is the one they used on matt Milano. At this point I’d certainly prefer to have him over the backups we have now. But they did want him initially, at their price. The cap # between he and Shady if they matched NE’s offer would have been pretty unappetizing.

I wonder if they initially liked Jwill and then he fell out of favor. They didn’t even want him on their PS.

There was a report before JWill with Denver that we signed him to our PS. I think we were interest but he took more money from Denver. 

39 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

There was a report before JWill with Denver that we signed him to our PS. I think we were interest but he took more money from Denver. 

I didn’t see that report, but when McD was asked if they considered signing him to the PS he said they “chose to go in a different direction”

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

i'm not saying he would be a difference maker, but the Bills were not very smart to let Gillislee walk since there appeared to be no viable plan to have a backup RB.

Tolbert is not a backup.

He is an injury signing. Likely will not use him as they will use him as they used TJ.