O'Leary Fumble: Time to go to the College Rule?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to much prefer the NFL "down by contact" rule. What could be more exciting than a player stumbling and falling, streaking defender blowing past him and missing him, and the player getting up like a zombie and running it into the end zone?

But it's time to move on. In this age of (alleged) concussion syndrome awareness, in this age of QBs "giving up" and going into slides and then getting hammered while lying on the ground ... it seems the most obvious rule change to make for player protection. And in this age of ridiculous crowd noise pumped up by huge scoreboards exhorting fans to MAKE SOME NOISE, do we really want to base player safety considerations on whether everyone heard the whistle?

O'Leary last night was ridiculous. Everyone around him seemed to assume the play had been blown dead. He gets off the ground looking like he's going to toss the ball to the ref. And then ... did the ref wave him off? He gets up and hesitantly starts to run, and just as hesitantly tries to tuck the ball away. The Jets defenders notice what's going on and go straight into ball stripping mode. And a fine catch is turned into a disastrous outcome.

So was this thrilling? Or just kind of stupid? I've disliked the college "down is down, whether by contact or not" rule for a long time. But it's time for the NFL to move on. In 2017, we're seeing too many injuries and absurd outcomes from the old rule. Quick whistles prevent injuries.

Hell NO, that rule sucks, slipping when no one is around then ball is spotted there is antifootball.

Oleary is really turning into a a good pass catcher but he seriously needs to work on grip and arm strength.

Yes, lets instate a lame college rule because someone from our favorite football team fumbled in a blowout loss.

Come on, everyone loves the "he didn't know he wasn't down" play - it adds a little random excitement into the mix. It's also fun when the defender thinks the ball carrier is down, so he gives up on the play and the dude takes off. It makes the game more interesting now and then, and it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.

The Bills had their pants down in so many situations last night. Let's not change the rules to aid and abet poor play.

You guys are too focused on the specific O'Leary play. It's my example of a rule that now causes more problems than any occasional excitement it may provide. Bad enough spending 5 minutes while the officials review the tape to see "did his elbow touch the turf." The down by contact rule also gives us the "did a defender's finger touch his jersey" review. And the wonderful "inadvertent whistle" that stops play (and therefore is not reviewable) even when the replay clearly shows the ball carrier was not down by contact. I like the rules to be easy, predictable ... 10 officials see it, 10 officials call it the same way. The college rule is an improvement in that respect too.

He's got to be smarter than that. You'd think he would be. Especially because his grandmother played lacrosse at Harvard.

I am really hoping this becomes the new O'Leary catch phrase.

As for being smarter than that: the entire Jets defense is apparently just as football dumb because no one saw fit to touch O'Leary while he was on the ground.

While I'm at it advocating for the college "down is down" rule: it's also high time to go to the college WR possession rules. Again, argue all you want about the purity of the NFL rule, the exacting standard it places on professional (as opposed to amateur players): two feet in, ball tucked away, no wobble, blah, blah, blah. With replay we've gone into bizarro world where it looks like a catch based on what we've all grown up learning is a catch, but it ain't a catch anymore. Less ambiguity, less room for interpretation = fairer (and more entertaining!) game. Go to the college rule. I've felt the same way about replay in baseball: the stolen base is one of the most exciting plays in baseball, but with base stealers getting called out when their bodies momentarily lose contact with the bag -- something visible only on slo mo replays - we've seen teams become more risk averse. (of course, elevated HR numbers do that too).

Who knows, maybe it'll bring back some of those missing viewers.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I saw a replay today and it really was Zay (as someone pointed out) who was waving his arm to run forward. That could have been even MORE weird if he tossed the ball to the ref, or if they all just stood there.

No, he stood up and started handing the ball to the ref. Whistle should've been blown at that point.

What ref???

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/q4E1ZOYpR9PRAaziDRiVxbJjZk4=/0x0:523x300/1520x0/filters:focal(0x0:523x300):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9598803/nickofumbley.0.gif

Edited by The Wiz

You gotta make contact to have the play end with the big boys

Play to the whistle, you should know this by Pop Warner

Yeah but you know, I have heard NFL players talk about how on some plays, there never is a whistle.

Like everyone just stops and it is assumed the play is over, just like on the play last night.

So a player is maybe not at fault for not playing to the whistle. Sometimes there isn't one.

Following the college rule would mean that anytime a receiver goes to one knee to catch a low throw he is down right there. If a lineman steps on the QBs foot and he falls the play would be over. There are more instances where a player would be down with out contact. Ya gotta let em play. People already complain the NFL has eliminated a lot of hitting. Do we want to wimp it up even more?

Edited by danc

No. A player not being aware enough to realize the whistle wasn't blown is not a reason to change the rule. If a player makes a diving catch in the open, he should not be down, I even hate that rule in college.

That was on O'Leary 100% but at the same time I am not gonna slam him over it. The play was unfortunate, and I get it, he made a catch and hit the ground and its hard for a player to know if any of the contact was a player or not. But these players are taught not to stop on any play for any reason if they havent heard a whistle. So while its understandable to a degree there, it was still his job to be aware the play was alive.

Again, it happens, but still its silly to change a rule over a rare play where there was nothing wrong other than a player stopped before he heard the whistle.

Isn't the ball supposed to be dead once the player gives himself up?????

I knew this rang a bell. This link is old, not sure if the rule changed since:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/7449/breaking-down-cruzs-fumble-that-wasnt

So not to beat a dead horse, but if the same rule is in effect and if he hadn't made a break for it after giving up on the play it may have gone a different way.

11 hours ago, danc said:

Following the college rule would mean that anytime a receiver goes to one knee to catch a low throw he is down right there. If a lineman steps on the QBs foot and he falls the play would be over. There are more instances where a player would be down with out contact. Ya gotta let em play. People already complain the NFL has eliminated a lot of hitting. Do we want to wimp it up even more?

Not trying to make excuses, but this is why he doesn't end up being hit on the play. Since the defenseless receiver rule came into play, the Jets player pulled up and didn't contact O'Leary so he wouldn't get a penalty. Before defenseless receivers, the Jets DB would have made sure he went after the player and ball on the way down. It just worked out that everyone on the field stops and the Jets get a turnover.