TRADE: Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo

Rubes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I think they should have KB and Deonte Thompson outside with Matthews starting in the slot. You have the speed guy in DT, the size guy in KB, and a tough matchup in the slot in JM. Zay can get in on 4-WR sets and then take over the slot next year when I expect they'll let JM walk.

I agree with this. As a matter of fact, the rookie Jones is probably on a short leash now...he better produce. I also think Streeter will be brought back and we will plenty of speed. The only people really upset with this deal are the people who think it was a mistake to trade Watkins. I was a fan of his, but frankly these guys have been right about some of the moves that were hard to swallow. Our resident experts have a hard time admitting they were wrong.

Edited by horned dogs

Good to know we have fashion experts on the board.☺

Takes a cross culture/experience/interest/ knowledge base to create this wonderful place we visit . Here.

Love it.

Hows KB like his wings?

McBeans better get him in line and fast. Then, and only then, consider the extension to his contract

Right...so that keeps WR on the board for next offseason (provided Deonte doesn't wow them in the meantime).

you can always trade for track star or draft one late.

:nana:

Not only that, but the bridge was burned by both sides last year.

I highly doubt they regret trading Sammy, not at all...but they did see a need to add more talent to the WR corp.

any one could see that Rico :rolleyes:

Fair enuf but there's another take imo. Lots here wanted Mike Williams in the last draft (with reason, and he went high in the first round). Williams and KB are basically the same receiver type. They beat up on smaller corners and win jump balls/ are redzone targets. True Williams is a bit faster but Benjamin is experienced and has already proven that he can not only play but excel in this League and even the most talented rooks have some bust/underperformance risk associated with them. And KB is only 26. So I think we traded a third and a seventh (both bearing some performance risk) for a high first rounder viz the 2017 class at least that is a more proven commodity. And Beane saying that they had a mid- first round grade on him in the 2014 class is saying a lot.

The question in my mind is whether Tyrod has the stones to throw it to him when he does not gain much separation.

he did it with Sammy.

but imagine they will develop. Tyrod is very protective of His football. Not just anyone can touch it

I do not think we have really seen enough from Matthews whilst in Buffalo to have a fair opinion. Lets keep in mind when his injury occurred and how he played through that. I imagine that sternum is lingering all season.

I see why you consider him gone theoretically for sure.

and yes speed must be available. Deonte is not that guy for you ?

I agree, I don t think the Bills have seen Matthews at his best yet. Will be interesting to see what $$$ he will be looking for, with injuries and all, you need to b 4 or 5 deep at wr. Looking forward to seeing him and Benjamin on the field together.

Would be awesome if Thompson turns out to be a consistent down field threat on the outside.

Edited by Turk71

@RobQuinn619

Kelvin Benjamin Is The NFL’s Clutchest Receiver | @tyschalter with a really interesting look #GoBillsNFL_2017_BUFBills_v2.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kelvin-benjamin-is-the-nfls-clutchest-receiver/

Benoit is not a Tyrod fan.

@Andy_Benoit

Andy Benoit Retweeted Sᴄᴏᴛᴛ Kɪɴᴍᴀʀᴛɪɴ

Respectfully, that means nothing, especially within the context of #Bills offense. Can't be clutch if QB doesn't give you stick throws.

@Andy_Benoit

Skeptical of Kelvin Benjamin working for #Bills. He's not a separator and Tyrod is not a tight-window thrower.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I agree, I don t think the Bills have seen Matthews at his best yet. Will be interesting to see what $$$ he will be looking for, with injuries and all, you need to b 4 or 5 deep at wr. Looking forward to seeing him and Benjamin on the field together.

Would be awesome if Thompson turns out to be a consistent down field threat on the outside.

If Deonte just becomes a viable threat, Bills will have some nice packages they can send out.

We have had all slot receivers, basically speaking. Till Deonte and now the x factor in Benjamin who can line up anywhere including a TE to run a seam i imagine.

I like the versatility the Coaches suddenly have at WR. Get Clay healthy, with Logan Thomas developing and O'Leary doing O'Leary.

Maybe we got something cookin'

thanks Turk

His mother is the one who helps him with the fashion.

Takes Family to make the Man

@Andy_Benoit

Respectfully, that means nothing, especially within the context of #Bills offense. Can't be clutch if QB doesn't give you stick throws.

@Andy_Benoit

Skeptical of Kelvin Benjamin working for #Bills. He's not a separator and Tyrod is not a tight-window thrower.

His assessment of Taylor isn't necessarily wrong.

He doesn't acknowledge the progression in Tyrod's game, but who cares.

Hey, I don't follow the guy so I don't know every single thing he says about Taylor. Just saying Taylor tending to protect the ball from tight window throws is accurate. Does he make tight throws, yes. Does he do it often, no.

Until it is, then it'll be some other deficiency to harp on

Isn't that what everyone here does too? We got KB and a thread was started about his situational awareness because of him not give the ball to the ref right away and ending the half.

agreed. but Taylor is still growing. we can all see that

No question about that, he's been making more throws this year that I didn't see in the past two years.

Swear like you guys think I was taking a shot at Taylor. Not at all.

Edited by The Wiz

Hey, I don't follow the guy so I don't know every single thing he says about Taylor. Just saying Taylor tending to protect the ball from tight window throws is accurate. Does he do it, yes. Does he do it often, no.

Isn't that what everyone here does too? We got KB and a thread was started about his situational awareness because of him not give the ball to the ref right away and ending the half.

No question about that, he's been making more throws this year that I didn't see in the past two years.

Yep. I'm happy sitting back and appreciating one of the better teams we've fielded this millennium. Should only get better by adding a true #1, which we were missing.

@Andy_Benoit

@Andy_Benoit

This is surprisingly insightful coming from a national media guy. I don't think a lot of people in the national media know enough about the Bills in general - or Tyrod in particular - to know he prefers his receivers wide open.

As 3rdand12 said earlier, Tyrod did throw to Sammy when Sammy had a CB draped over him. Maybe Tyrod will learn to trust KB the same way.

This is surprisingly insightful coming from a national media guy. I don't think a lot of people in the national media know enough about the Bills in general - or Tyrod in particular - to know he prefers his receivers wide open.

As 3rdand12 said earlier, Tyrod did throw to Sammy when Sammy had a CB draped over him. Maybe Tyrod will learn to trust KB the same way.

He certainly has shown trust in Charles Clay.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Hey, I don't follow the guy so I don't know every single thing he says about Taylor. Just saying Taylor tending to protect the ball from tight window throws is accurate. Does he make tight throws, yes. Does he do it often, no.

Swear like you guys think I was taking a shot at Taylor. Not at all.

Wiz you are ALWAYs cool with me Brother !!

:wub::P lol

never fret amongst friends

Edited by 3rdand12

Are there QBs who don't PREFER their WRs be wide open?

Just sayin.

Are there QBs who don't PREFER their WRs be wide open?

Just sayin.

Of course; ever QB does. I think the point of the tweet is that Taylor doesn't force throws into tight windows. It's the reason he has a low turnover ratio. You wont get 300-400 or more passing yards from the way he plays but he keeps the ball safe.

Of course; ever QB does. I think the point of the tweet is that Taylor doesn't force throws into tight windows. It's the reason he has a low turnover ratio. You wont get 300-400 or more passing yards from the way he plays but he keeps the ball safe.

I get what he's going for. That's why I said, "just sayin...".

As others have pointed out, Taylor has, and can, throw into tight windows. He doesn't do it often, that's for sure. But the Bills also don't have an anticipatory passing game (I'm thinking Air Coryell as an extreme example), either. Plus, given the strengths and weaknesses of the team, the past couple years, the best way to win is to minimize turnovers---so that plays into it, too.

Tyrod has been getting better at drilling it into tight coverage, when called for, lately. And he demonstrated he will do it, to some degree, if he trusts the target. So no, Tyrod isn't the game's biggest chance-taker. But to think Benjamin won't be an asset, simply because of that, is absurd. Dontcha think?

As others have pointed out, Taylor has, and can, throw into tight windows. He doesn't do it often, that's for sure. But the Bills also don't have an anticipatory passing game (I'm thinking Air Coryell as an extreme example), either. Plus, given the strengths and weaknesses of the team, the past couple years, the best way to win is to minimize turnovers---so that plays into it, too.

Tyrod has been getting better at drilling it into tight coverage, when called for, lately. And he demonstrated he will do it, to some degree, if he trusts the target. So no, Tyrod isn't the game's biggest chance-taker. But to think Benjamin won't be an asset, simply because of that, is absurd. Dontcha think?

I agree with everything. The matter is when he finally does trust the target. He took a shot at Deonte because he was familiar with him from Baltimore. Don't know how long it will take for him to get comfortable (trust) with KB but the sooner the better for the team.

With 56 pages of comments ... I can't read them all before typing this .. so this may of already been pointed out ... but if I have this right in reference to Watkins trade with the Benjamin trade where a #1 WR was traded away and a #1 WR acquired in a later trade .. at the end of the day.

For 2017 -- We got EJ Gaines, Kelvin Benjamin, and a 2nd round pick in 2018.

We gave up Sammy, a 3rd rounder and a 7th in 2018.

Works for me.

Good work Beane!!!

But it assumes, as Jeremy White does, that Tyrod can't make those throws, as opposed to he won't make those throws to receivers he doesn't trust to make the play.

we have seen him try to make the throws and sometimes succeed. I think the point was is he doesn't try to make those throws unless he has to. If kb isn't open enough, he could just end up being a decoy. Until Taylor throws to him while he's covered that is. Then all better are off. Edited by The Wiz

But it assumes, as Jeremy White does, that Tyrod can't make those throws, as opposed to he won't make those throws to receivers he doesn't trust to make the play.

which is why i think benjamin is a key part of what we are looking for in the future. a big rangy WR who can help a new QB.

With 56 pages of comments ... I can't read them all before typing this .. so this may of already been pointed out ... but if I have this right in reference to Watkins trade with the Benjamin trade where a #1 WR was traded away and a #1 WR acquired in a later trade .. at the end of the day.

For 2017 -- We got EJ Gaines, Kelvin Benjamin, and a 2nd round pick in 2018.

We gave up Sammy, a 3rd rounder and a 7th in 2018.

Works for me.

Good work Beane!!!

And Jordan Matthews.

The Kelvin trade, and the fact that they're 5-2, makes me feel MUCH better about trading Sammy. If they're sitting at 6-2 I'll be thrilled.

Agree with all of this.

It will be interesting to see how Tyrod's willingness to throw into tight windows develops with Kelvin Benjamin here now -- I don't think Tyrod will ever be a high-interception quarterback at any point in his career, but I think it's impossible to expect that he'll keep up the low-turnover performance at the rate he's been AND throw into tight coverage more frequently, now that he has a receiver who will come down with it 75% of the time.

Basically, anyone left who is still opposed to Tyrod may soon have "well now he's throwing more interceptions" in their argument. But that will happen when you're taking more chances.

I would like to see it. Not the interceptions, per se, but I'm willing to take it for a more aggressive, unleashed Tyrod Taylor.

I'm reminded of Tom Brady's first few years -- he also played very conservatively, people said he was a system QB, it wasn't until Brady got some legit receivers that he really started to open up. Obviously I'm not saying Tyrod is going to be the next Brady, but I am saying that Tyrod has been developing in his 3 years here, and he has shown playmaking ability. Even Tyrod's worst games aren't full of errors, interceptions, fumbles.

We'll see. I think the Tyrod and the offense have a real chance to break out in the second half of the season. I think they are fully capable of playing MUCH better with only a few adjustments (which they have made) and getting into a confident rhythm (which they seem to be on track for).

Agree with all of this.

It will be interesting to see how Tyrod's willingness to throw into tight windows develops with Kelvin Benjamin here now -- I don't think Tyrod will ever be a high-interception quarterback at any point in his career, but I think it's impossible to expect that he'll keep up the low-turnover performance at the rate he's been AND throw into tight coverage more frequently, now that he has a receiver who will come down with it 75% of the time.

Basically, anyone left who is still opposed to Tyrod may soon have "well now he's throwing more interceptions" in their argument. But that will happen when you're taking more chances.

I would like to see it. Not the interceptions, per se, but I'm willing to take it for a more aggressive, unleashed Tyrod Taylor.

I'm reminded of Tom Brady's first few years -- he also played very conservatively, people said he was a system QB, it wasn't until Brady got some legit receivers that he really started to open up. Obviously I'm not saying Tyrod is going to be the next Brady, but I am saying that Tyrod has been developing in his 3 years here, and he has shown playmaking ability. Even Tyrod's worst games aren't full of errors, interceptions, fumbles.

We'll see. I think the Tyrod and the offense have a real chance to break out in the second half of the season. I think they are fully capable of playing MUCH better with only a few adjustments (which they have made) and getting into a confident rhythm (which they seem to be on track for).

My recollection is Alex Smith was seen as a dink & dunk, system QB, who you couldn't really win with?

My recollection is Alex Smith was seen as a dink & dunk, system QB, who you couldn't really win with?

Yeah, it's weird... it's almost like these strongly willed professional athletes are capable of improvement. Didn't they hear? The fans decided they suck. Kinda rude of them to stop doing that, the sucking.