TRADE: Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo

Rubes

I agree with the Panthers fan that talked him not getting separation and that their offense opening up without him. He is fat and slow and not somebody we should rely on as a #1. I really think not having Sammy has helped Tyrod learn to run an offense. I am happy with the trade because we get a big target and at a good price but I really dont want to force the ball to him a lot. Tyrod has really developed lately at keeping his eyes down field and finding open guys. I want him to keep developing and only use KB when he is truly open. Perhaps in the RZ we can lob it up to him but other than that he needs to just be another piece, not a game changing acquisition.

Edited by jletha

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm late to the party because the Bills only make big deals on nights when I am out at events....

If Benjamin is right, focussed, head on straight, at the right weight he is a #1 WR. If he is not then he can be slow, lumbering and of limited use. The Bills will need him to buy into the process. But the price is reasonable, a 3rd and a 7th for a18 months control and the chance to make him earn an extension.

I'm sure this has been said already, but to me it is a sign they see an opportunity this year and Beane indicated as much when he spoke. Has their mind set changed between the day they traded Sammy and today? I think it must have, because there are personality questions about Benjamin too... maybe it is just a case they see him as "one of them" but familiarity is sometimes a bad basis on which to evaluate.

Call me excited but cautious.

My God! Over 1300 of us are currently on the Board! It’s Halloween! Go do something fun!

Great addition to the team!

My “something” is waiting for the next knock on the door, which isn’t overly “fun”.

Listening to Sal C. on GR-550 in the audio vault now.

He said he spoke with McD today and pointed out all the logistical difficulties you reference, pointing out to the coach that it is unlikely we would see Benjamin on Thursday night.

Sal said McD responded by saying "Yeah I understand all that, but if he can help us and we think he can go, he'll go" or words to that effect.

My gut (and nothing else!) says he will play on Thursday, in an obviously limited capacity.

I think he gets in for some plays too, maybe in the red zone. Good opportunity to show your new toy off, national game and all.

The action at the NFL Trade Deadline culminated with four big-time trades. Find out who the winners and losers were in the aftermath of Jimmy Garoppolo, Jay Ajayi, Duane Brown and Kelvin Benjamin trades.

Winners
Tyrod Taylor, Bills quarterback: Buffalo has made do in the passing game using journeyman receivers like Deonte Thompson, Brandon Tate and Andre Holmes. Following the acquisition of wideout Kelvin Benjamin from the Panthers, Taylor finally has a solid starting wideout duo in Jordan Matthews and Benjamin. It takes pressure off struggling rookie Zay Jones and could make the Bills difficult to defend in the red zone, especially when injured tight end Charles Clay comes back.
Bills fans: It's time to start believing that this is the team that can end Buffalo's long playoff drought. The trade for Benjamin, paired with one of the defining defenses of this season, gives the Bills a great chance at double-digit wins.
Losers
Cam Newton, Panthers quarterback: Kelvin Benjamin looked better this season than at any previous point in his career. Now he's gone. The Carolina running game hasn't existed outside of Newton. The passing game has been erratic, and now the team just traded away its No. 1 receiver. I didn't think it was possible to put more on Newton's plate with this offense, but the trade of Benjamin for two future draft picks did it.

The look and feel of the organization vis-a-vis the powers in charge at OBD is as good as it has been since the demise of the Superbowl teams.

The way they are working and the decisions they are taking look, in absolutely no way, like typical Bills administrations in the last two decades.

Amen.

I agree with the Panthers fan that talked him not getting separation and that their offense opening up without him. He is fat and slow and not somebody we should rely on as a #1. I really think not having Sammy has helped Tyrod learn to run an offense. I am happy with the trade because we get a big target and at a good price but I really dont want to force the ball to him a lot. Tyrod has really developed lately at keeping his eyes down field and finding open guys. I want him to keep developing and only use KB when he is truly open. Perhaps in the RZ we can lob it up to him but other than that he needs to just be another piece, not a game changing acquisition.

You're missing what they're doing. They don't have #1s. They have a team which has a bunch of good big tall WRs.

#1 could be Mathews this week, Holmes the next, Zay k benj.

This WR group suddenly looks quite strong to me. 4 guys that can make plays..

Edit... Btw- lol 6'5" guys don't need separation

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I did not read the entire thread, so excuse me if I repeat a thought, but I am sure that you all will torch me for the last part of my epiphany.

They were going to lose him at the end of the season--not worth the second contract. KB would demand a $55m contract. Not getting that here.

Now the part that will get me some turds:

1. He reported to camp a bit overweight. Some of you pointed out that he got in shape by the beginning of the season. The offseason is to get better--not to get fat. KB should have been tweaking his game, not dieting and running sprints

2. Cam is better without KB. Yes--I said it. in 2015, Cam spread the ball around nicely. I forget our record that year (sarcasm), but the team underperformed the year before and the year after. Hmmm.

3. Our offense is a dud. KB is not getting open. He is running bad routes and is not hard to cover with 1 player.

Watch--our offense will open up with him gone. Trust me--addition by subtraction. NOT because KB sucks, but because he does not make others better. Our offense is slow and lumbering. KB had 8 games left and would be gone anyway. Funchess has been better, so...

A third rounder is not a bad trade---we got Olsen for a third rounder.

Folks--our offensive woes were not all OL--that is what you see on TV...Our big WRs are not getting open. I am not distraught about this--sorry.

Well... I am not screaming for joy from the rooftops for this trade. However, this post has many flaws in it. Correlation is not causation. The year the Panther's did well WITHOUT KB is the same year that Carolina had their best offensive line performance and Cam had a lot of time to throw. Another point is that the Panther's were NOT losing him after this year - they gave him his 5th year rookie tender. Finally, Cam would gush on and on about KB more than any other of his receivers. Just my 2cps. Edited by aceman_16

This entire thread, when combined with the Dareus, Sammy and Darby threads is why you need to knit pick through posts here: the FO (unlike our FO’s of past) have a true plan in place. Make this move which allows this move which allows this move and so on. The vast majority here take them for face value failing to understand that NONE of the people on this board know the big picture they are looking at, regardless of ‘football knowledge’.

With all of that being said, I have an immense amount of respect for some of the regulars here and enjoy being the voyeur that I am here.

He'll come in for red zone plays

You're missing what they're doing. They don't have #1s. They have a team which has a bunch of good big tall WRs.

#1 could be Mathews this week, Holmes the next, Zay k benj.

That is exactly what I hope happens. I think itll work but that is my one, albeit small, concern.

Basically add him in organically to the scheme were currently running, not run our offense through him.

5. You forgot DT. The WR group looks MUCH better than a few weeks ago. That Bengals game was a low point. In that 2nd half I honestly couldn't see at all how we could move the ball.

My God! Over 1300 of us are currently on the Board! It’s Halloween! Go do something fun!

Great addition to the team!

Lol, this is quite an active board. As someone who doesn't live in WNY, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting here. I really appreciate that I can get a text about this news and have a place where I can go and discuss this team with other fans, even the ones I disagree with. Cheers guys.

Lol, this is quite an active board. As someone who doesn't live in WNY, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting here. I really appreciate that I can get a text about this news and have a place where I can go and discuss this team with other fans, even the ones I disagree with. Cheers guys.

You're always welcome.

This is a big deal. Our receiving core has gained a lot of good experience this year, and pushing everyone down a spot put them all in ideal positions. This really changes the whole offense, even if he needs a few weeks to adjust.

It is that large.

be patient, be prepared