CFB playoff rankings

YoloinOhio

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have heard this but I think they would need to blow the doors off of their next two oppponents, both of whom have very good defenses. I don’t know that they will be considered if they just squeak by either one. 

I feel like they would need to convince the committee that they are somehow a different team than what played on Iowa City. 

There is no way Ohio State should be considered for the playoff but..... I have a feeling if they win out they are in.  Urban Meyer knows it too.  If you have watched their games they have tried to run up the score the past 2 weeks.  The committee loves Ohio State as history has shown.   

Edited by Gordio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Roll Tide!!!

that felt weird but 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was at a party at the Fontainebleau the night before the "Katherine Webb" Orange Bowl between Alabama and Notre Dame.

Alabama was staying there.  The entire team and family members (including Katherine Webb the day before Brent Musburger made her famous) were hanging out in the lobby so we decided to hang out in the lobby. 

Everyone I passed by or otherwise encountered said "Roll Tide."  I could not help but say it myself even though I am not an Alabama fan.  It kind of rolls off your lips.  I could not help myself.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

There is no way Ohio State should be considered for the playoff but..... I have a feeling if they win out they are in.  Urban Meyer knows it too.  If you have watched their games they have tried to run up the score the past 2 weeks.  The committee loves Ohio State as history has shown.   

Lol - I could not believe he put the starters back in for a series to score again after Haskins went 3 and out in the 3rd. Actually I could - he knows how the game is played. I still don’t think the committee will let them in regardless. They remember their playoff performance from last year. And this Buckeye team is not better than that one. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lol - I could not believe he put the starters back in for a series to score again after Haskins went 3 and out in the 3rd. Actually I could - he knows how the game is played. I still don’t think the committee will let them in regardless. They remember their playoff performance from last year. And this Buckeye team is not better than that one. 

There are a few teams that the committee favors & Ohio State along with Notre Dame/Alabama are one of them.  Meyer is no fool.  Expect him to run up the score against Big Blue this week & in the championship against Whisky if he has that opportunity. 

Two of the biggest rivalries square off this Saturday.

To me the biggest of them all is Michigan(TTUN) and tOSU, for my location and upbringing and attendance at 7 of them, all tOSU wins.

The other, Auburn/Bama doesn't quite register as much, maybe 5 of them over the years have mattered, but a tip of the hat and I will be watching and special wishes for Kirby's enjoyment.

Watch the Badgers furball their game....

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

now do me a favor and put on some gray with your scarlet (crimson) around noon on Saturday!

Not many Buckeyes fans in Southern Ontario, they would tend to choose Michigan options or Syracuse.  The only ones I met moved to town as transfers from Gallipolis and Hamilton, Ohio.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No way they can keep the Badgers out now (unless they lose to Minny)

Assuming:

Wisconsin beats Minnesota. 

Ohio St beats Michigan. 

Alabama beats Auburn

B1G: Ohio St beats Wisconsin

SEC: Alabama beats Georgia

Does the committee invite one loss non conference champion Wisconsin over two loss B1G champion Ohio St, who just beat Wisconsin?

Does the committee invite Ohio St over Georgia, the ACC runner up, or Notre Dame

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Assuming:

Ohio St beats Michigan. 

Alabama beats Auburn

Does the committee invite one loss non conference champion Wisconsin over two loss B1G champion Ohio St, who just beat Wisconsin?

Does the committee invite Ohio St over Georgia, the ACC runner up, or Notre Dame

200w.gif

I was afraid that the Canes could lose this game against Pitt.

During the game, Mark Richt (who I typically think is a great coach) pulled Rosier for a series.  I joked to a friend that McCoach must have made that decision - it was that dumb.  The back up could not complete a pass and we wasted a key possession.

9 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Assuming:

Ohio St beats Michigan. 

Alabama beats Auburn

OSU will definitely go over Wisconsin if they beat them. ND probably ends up out as a 2 loss team. The same goes for UGA. A 1 loss Alabama is the only real wild card left imo (assuming OU beats TCU).

If they lose the iron bowl do they still get in? If Alabama wins in Auburn we are looking at:

- SEC champ

- ACC champ

- Oklahoma

- Big 10 champ

If Alabama and/or OU loses all bets are off.

Hurricanes were playing over their head all year.  I think the over/under was 7 years this year. Just sucks the only loss had to come in the final game. Rosier isn't a good QB. He's made some miracle plays to pull out some games they should have lost, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not the starter next year. If they beat Clemson ( which I doubt they will), they will probably be in the playoff. 

The team isn't there yet, but this was a damn good season and they are heading in the right direction  

17 hours ago, Sweats said:

I've been looking forward to Auburn vs. Bama for a couple of weeks now..........this game will NOT disappoint.

So far so good .

18 hours ago, Peter said:

I was afraid that the Canes could lose this game against Pitt.

During the game, Mark Richt (who I typically think is a great coach) pulled Rosier for a series.  I joked to a friend that McCoach must have made that decision - it was that dumb.  The back up could not complete a pass and we wasted a key possession.

Sherrefs is terrible, but Rosier was terrible the whole game. I think Richts intent in pulling him was to light a fire under Rosier,  as he just seemed to be out of it. 

I think Perry has a good shot at starting next year.

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

If Bama still makes the playoff, they might as well just throw the whole system in the trash.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Yeah because putting in a 1 loss non division winner over a two loss B1G champ would be just plain nutty

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Nope......a 1 loss team to a #6. Not a Bama fan, but can't eliminate rhem on this loss

This is why they need to have more than 4 teams in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Nope......a 1 loss team to a #6. Not a Bama fan, but can't eliminate rhem on this loss

How about the facts that they have not beaten a top 15 team and all of their dominating wins have been against bad teams?  Or that their passing offense is something out of a Pop Warner league?

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Id be happy with 8. 

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Preaching to the choir here

In the FCS(Division 1-AA), 24 teams make it to the playoffs. 24! And they've been doing that for years, as has Division II & III.

I do not understand why the FBS(Division 1-A) is so set on limiting it's playoff teams.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

How about the facts that they have not beaten a top 15 team and all of their dominating wins have been against bad teams?  Or that their passing offense is something out of a Pop Warner league?

Or the fact that they're 7-1 In the SEC. I wouldn't say they are a lock depending on how dominant the SEC champion winner looks, but you can't count them out at this stage of the game. 

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

Or the fact that they're 7-1 In the SEC. I wouldn't say they are a lock depending on how dominant the SEC champion winner looks, but you can't count them out at this stage of the game. 

I’m not counting them out.  I’m saying they don’t deserve to get in.  Again, have not beaten a top 15 team and got exposed today by Auburn.  There will be other one loss teams that are more deserving.

Bama needs Wisconsin or Oklahoma to lose in order to get in. Bama’s biggest issue now in the eyes of the committee is lack of quality wins. Their biggest win is LSU, who lost to Troy. Strength of schedule is ranked pretty low. But if it comes down to OSU vs Bama, Bama will get in (and should) even if OSU is conf champ. It would be like OSU vs PSU last year.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bama needs Wisconsin or Oklahoma to lose in order to get in. Bama’s biggest issue now in the eyes of the committee is lack of quality wins. Their biggest win is LSU, who lost to Troy. Strength of schedule is ranked pretty low. But if it comes down to OSU vs Bama, Bama will get in (and should) even if OSU is conf champ. It would be like OSU vs PSU last year.

If Ohio State beats Wisconsin they absolutely should get in ahead of Alabama—much tougher schedule and far more quality wins.  In fact, a 1-loss Wisconsin should get in ahead of Alabama.  

Alabama just played a game against Mercer, FFS.  If all you’re going to do is give the playoff spots to the power 5 teams with the least number of losses, why do you need a committee?

Edited by mannc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.