Question I'd like someone to ask McDermott

Ennjay

I'm seriously curious:

Do you coach this game any different knowing you're playing again on Thursday?

Baseball managers have to save pitchers for the rest of the schedule. Basketball and hockey coaches try to save legs when there's a game tomorrow. I suspect football coaches don't (can't?) do anything different but I wonder if they at least think about it. Maybe spell Shady just a little more? Step up the pace of line rotations so starters get a few less snaps?

This could be a trap game, with the team looking forward to the glamour of a Thursday night in New Jersey.

HaHa! No chance this is the case. A Conference team who blew us out last year enroute to the playoffs is no Trap. We play the Jets on TNF every year. Both games will be difficult, so I anticipate our best efforts. Post season aspirations will be decided by midnight Thursday.

This could be a trap game, with the team looking forward to the glamour of a Thursday night in New Jersey.

Yes!

But in all fairness, who among us wouldn't fall victim to the bewitching lure of the late autumn air in the Meadowlands on a Thursday night with an old quarry named the Jets?

Trap games dont exist...by whatever metric you want to use.

But if they lose, then they'd be trapped looking forward, hence the term.

Yes!

But in all fairness, who among us wouldn't fall victim to the bewitching lure of the late autumn air in the Meadowlands on a Thursday night with an old quarry named the Jets?

With the smell of Ewing on the air....

Trap games dont exist...by whatever metric you want to use.

What if your metric has nothing to do with the outcome of the game and is purely a phrase to describe a game you think there is a risk of a team looking past?

That is how I use it. Just because you win a trap game doesn't mean it wasn't a trap game.

I'm seriously curious:

Do you coach this game any different knowing you're playing again on Thursday?

Baseball managers have to save pitchers for the rest of the schedule. Basketball and hockey coaches try to save legs when there's a game tomorrow. I suspect football coaches don't (can't?) do anything different but I wonder if they at least think about it. Maybe spell Shady just a little more? Step up the pace of line rotations so starters get a few less snaps?

Well, that didn't happen, eh?

THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. A. TRAP. GAME.

But there is such a thing as looking past a “weak” upcoming opponent with some focus directed to the game after that. It happens. Not saying it will on a national game, because I think they will be fired up. I hope I’m correct.

"To the OP's point, there's only 16 games in the year, so a coach doesn't even think about this unless his team has a huge lead in the 2nd half."

Thank you for replying to my post.

Some people seem to be suggesting today's game vs. Raiders was a trap game. Huh?????

And on Thursday if they're not focussed in a divisional road game that's their only national exposure of the year they're braindead.