A few thoughts about the Bucs game, in no particular order

Virgil

Sorry for the lateness everyone, but I attended the game in person and had a lot of driving to do afterwards. That, plus an early flight to a work function in Orlando, and I'm beat. Being at the game provided me with a much different perspective on a bunch of things and I'm sorry to say that these thoughts might be a bit more negative than I try to be. I know that a win is a win and that this was only one game, but I'm still trying to figure out who we are as a team, coaching staff, and everything else right now; so it's hard to not try to evaluate as part of the big picture.

1 - Defensive Line - It was halfway through the 3rd quarter and my seats were right on the line of scrimmage. I was frustrated all day by how little pass rush we were able to generate and rarely sent more than our front 4. In this moment, I looked across the field and saw Dareus, Kyle, and Shaq all standing on the sidelines beside each other. In that moment, I was beside myself with anger. While I understand about keeping guys fresh and rotating guys based upon situation, there is absolutely no excuse to have 3 of our top 4 player on the sideline at one time. This is probably the one thing about the new regime that I'm not a fan of. Buy-in to your system or not, these guys have proven themselves as a talent and it can't just be your way or the highway. Maybe you need to bend a little and be a coach to your players to see what motivates them. Professionals or not, that end result just shouldn't happen.

2 - Defensive Coverage - To get lit up through the air like that was very scary for me. I'm really hoping this was a one game fluke as we have Carr, Brees, and Brady all coming to see us soon. I understand that the Howard TD's were blown coverages by Lorax, but that still doesn't excuse 350+ passing yards. We seem to be going more man coverage, which is another issue I have. Didn't we get rid of guys because they couldn't play zone well and are not really thin in the secondary? And with playing man, we are not sending more than 4, which gave Jameis all day to throw. Yes, we created turnovers and yes, we won, but 27 points and those yards at home after a bye week? I'm more than a little concerned about the blueprint shown to the rest of the league about our defense. Give the Bucs credit all you want, but they were 2-3 for a reason. Oakland looked incredible last week and I'm really nervous to see how next weeks game goes.

3 - Bye Week Prep - Like second half adjustments, I've liked what this team has done so far from a coaching and prep standpoint. With that, having a defensive performance like this, at home, after a bye week, to a sub .500 team is alarming. Yes, any given Sunday and it's a weird league. But we made the Bucs look like a solid playoff team when they haven't all year so far. I don't have anything else specific about this other than the end result, but just a worry going forward.

4 - I knew you before the west was won

And I heard you say the past
was much more fun
You go your way, I go mine
But I'll see you next time

5 - Milano - His interception is one of the better defensive plays I've seen this year, let alone by a rookie. It was even more impressive when I saw the replay when I got home. While White and Jones have 1st and 2nd round expectations, I'm starting to think he could be our diamond in the rough from the draft. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this kid can turn into.

6 - The Unknowns - I could state the obvious about our newest stars from the island of misfit toys, but I'm going to focus on the negatives here. How is it that a kid off the street was our first WR with over 100 yards this season. How does Jones do that off the bench on 3rd down but hasn't earned a sniff of the field before then? While I'm happy with how these guys performed, I'm really hoping to see them both get some more opportunities on the field. And like others said, I'm okay with Zay dropping to the 3rd receiver slot until he figures things out.

7 - Last play before half - I've never seen a team look so confused about what to do with 30 seconds left. McDermott can take the blame all he wants, and he should take a lot, but it was a team effort. TT never should have made that throw, the WR should have gotten the ball back quicker, the whole team should have lined up quicker. I think the WR thought we had a Time Out left. Other than that, just a complete waste of a turnover and possible 3 valuable points. For a team that supposedly practices situations all the time, maybe they should work on 60 second drills.

8 - Tolbert - I have been negative to him every week, so I need to give credit where it's due. This was his best performance by far. Saw some burst, some cuts, and some quality runs. I still don't believe he should be our #2, but he did the job this past week. Props to him. Now give Taiwan some more carries.

9 - Shady - Good to see Shady get some tosses and sweeps from the shotgun. This is where he excelled last year and I hope we see more of the same coming up. I'm hoping the success was more because of scheme and plays, and not because we were up against a porous defensive line. Either way, I hope to see more of this in weeks to come.

10 - Tyrod - This is going to be hard for me to say, but I think I'm finally ready to say that I'm ready to move on from Tyrod as our quarterback of the future. I know this is probably a weird week to say this, with a comeback win, most passing yards, and a couple of deep throws. But being at the game really showed me some things about Tyrod that I can't see on TV. Tyrod is very late on his throws, and I mean LATE. In the first quarter alone, there were a few quite a few plays where, if he threw it before their break, the WR would have an easy reception. But Tyrod had to let the play develop before making the throw, and subsequently, let the coverage back break on it too. Right after the first fumble recovery, Tyrod had Zay deep on twice in one play, but just didn't pull the trigger. He wasn't wide open, but it was a ball that absolutely should've been thrown. And yes, Zay was the only WR he was looking at. There's no excuse for that ball to not be thrown while making other endzone throws later that had no chance of being called. On the drive with the missed field goal, he also had a clear first down if he had only walked forward the 5 yards, but threw a crap pass to the endzone. For a guy who likes to run, I was really surprised he didn't.

Granted, there were some great plays where he moved around in the pocket to extend a play and a few escapes for first downs. However, on those plays, I think another quarterback gets the ball out quicker and doesn't need to escape. I agree with the assessment that Tyrod needs WR's to be "college open." Watching the plays develop as slowly as they did, I have to believe other qb's take better advantage of this offense. TT will get the job done, but I now believe he caps this offense.

Bonus - New Deep Ball Method - On many of our deep plays, we seemed to run delayed deep routes. One WR runs a streak to pull the safey with him, then another one runs a delayed streak behind him, usually forcing a LB to cover him. It worked on the final deep ball and I saw them run it a few times. It was an interesting play to watch, but takes some time to develop.

Overall, I apologize for the negative tone as a win is a win. 4-2 feels good. 6-2 will feel a lot better. I think these next two weeks are crucial being at home and against a division opponent. Even in the chaos of some really bad football, teams are starting to turn it on and the Pats are still 5-2. It's still early, but ever win matters. Here's hoping our defense calms down before Oakland and the offense keeps this going.

Go Bills!

Thanks Virgil. Truer words could not have been written about our QB. Every game with TT is like pulling a bandaid off slowly. Has anyone felt comfortable with this offense? Also, great point with the Dline rotation. And, Gaines injury opened flood gates. JW was perfect when he targeted Wright.

Edited by BuffaloMatt

Sorry for the lateness everyone, but I attended the game in person and had a lot of driving to do afterwards. That, plus an early flight to a work function in Orlando, and I'm beat. Being at the game provided me with a much different perspective on a bunch of things and I'm sorry to say that these thoughts might be a bit more negative than I try to be. I know that a win is a win and that this was only one game, but I'm still trying to figure out who we are as a team, coaching staff, and everything else right now; so it's hard to not try to evaluate as part of the big picture.

1 - Defensive Line - It was halfway through the 3rd quarter and my seats were right on the line of scrimmage. I was frustrated all day by how little pass rush we were able to generate and rarely sent more than our front 4. In this moment, I looked across the field and saw Dareus, Kyle, and Shaq all standing on the sidelines beside each other. In that moment, I was beside myself with anger. While I understand about keeping guys fresh and rotating guys based upon situation, there is absolutely no excuse to have 3 of our top 4 player on the sideline at one time. This is probably the one thing about the new regime that I'm not a fan of. Buy-in to your system or not, these guys have proven themselves as a talent and it can't just be your way or the highway. Maybe you need to bend a little and be a coach to your players to see what motivates them. Professionals or not, that end result just shouldn't happen.

2 - Defensive Coverage - To get lit up through the air like that was very scary for me. I'm really hoping this was a one game fluke as we have Carr, Brees, and Brady all coming to see us soon. I understand that the Howard TD's were blown coverages by Lorax, but that still doesn't excuse 350+ passing yards. We seem to be going more man coverage, which is another issue I have. Didn't we get rid of guys because they couldn't play zone well and are not really thin in the secondary? And with playing man, we are not sending more than 4, which gave Jameis all day to throw. Yes, we created turnovers and yes, we won, but 27 points and those yards at home after a bye week? I'm more than a little concerned about the blueprint shown to the rest of the league about our defense. Give the Bucs credit all you want, but they were 2-3 for a reason. Oakland looked incredible last week and I'm really nervous to see how next weeks game goes.

3 - Bye Week Prep - Like second half adjustments, I've liked what this team has done so far from a coaching and prep standpoint. With that, having a defensive performance like this, at home, after a bye week, to a sub .500 team is alarming. Yes, any given Sunday and it's a weird league. But we made the Bucs look like a solid playoff team when they haven't all year so far. I don't have anything else specific about this other than the end result, but just a worry going forward.

was much more fun

5 - Milano - His interception is one of the better defensive plays I've seen this year, let alone by a rookie. It was even more impressive when I saw the replay when I got home. While White and Jones have 1st and 2nd round expectations, I'm starting to think he could be our diamond in the rough from the draft. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this kid can turn into.

6 - The Unknowns - I could state the obvious about our newest stars from the island of misfit toys, but I'm going to focus on the negatives here. How is it that a kid off the street was our first WR with over 100 yards this season. How does Jones do that off the bench on 3rd down but hasn't earned a sniff of the field before then? While I'm happy with how these guys performed, I'm really hoping to see them both get some more opportunities on the field. And like others said, I'm okay with Zay dropping to the 3rd receiver slot until he figures things out.

7 - Last play before half - I've never seen a team look so confused about what to do with 30 seconds left. McDermott can take the blame all he wants, and he should take a lot, but it was a team effort. TT never should have made that throw, the WR should have gotten the ball back quicker, the whole team should have lined up quicker. I think the WR thought we had a Time Out left. Other than that, just a complete waste of a turnover and possible 3 valuable points. For a team that supposedly practices situations all the time, maybe they should work on 60 second drills.

8 - Tolbert - I have been negative to him every week, so I need to give credit where it's due. This was his best performance by far. Saw some burst, some cuts, and some quality runs. I still don't believe he should be our #2, but he did the job this past week. Props to him. Now give Taiwan some more carries.

9 - Shady - Good to see Shady get some tosses and sweeps from the shotgun. This is where he excelled last year and I hope we see more of the same coming up. I'm hoping the success was more because of scheme and plays, and not because we were up against a porous defensive line. Either way, I hope to see more of this in weeks to come.

10 - Tyrod - This is going to be hard for me to say, but I think I'm finally ready to say that I'm ready to move on from Tyrod as our quarterback of the future. I know this is probably a weird week to say this, with a comeback win, most passing yards, and a couple of deep throws. But being at the game really showed me some things about Tyrod that I can't see on TV. Tyrod is very late on his throws, and I mean LATE. In the first quarter alone, there were a few quite a few plays where, if he threw it before their break, the WR would have an easy reception. But Tyrod had to let the play develop before making the throw, and subsequently, let the coverage back break on it too. Right after the first fumble recovery, Tyrod had Zay deep on twice in one play, but just didn't pull the trigger. He wasn't wide open, but it was a ball that absolutely should've been thrown. And yes, Zay was the only WR he was looking at. There's no excuse for that ball to not be thrown while making other endzone throws later that had no chance of being called. On the drive with the missed field goal, he also had a clear first down if he had only walked forward the 5 yards, but threw a crap pass to the endzone. For a guy who likes to run, I was really surprised he didn't.

Granted, there were some great plays where he moved around in the pocket to extend a play and a few escapes for first downs. However, on those plays, I think another quarterback gets the ball out quicker and doesn't need to escape. I agree with the assessment that Tyrod needs WR's to be "college open." Watching the plays develop as slowly as they did, I have to believe other qb's take better advantage of this offense. TT will get the job done, but I now believe he caps this offense.

Bonus - New Deep Ball Method - On many of our deep plays, we seemed to run delayed deep routes. One WR runs a streak to pull the safey with him, then another one runs a delayed streak behind him, usually forcing a LB to cover him. It worked on the final deep ball and I saw them run it a few times. It was an interesting play to watch, but takes some time to develop.

Overall, I apologize for the negative tone as a win is a win. 4-2 feels good. 6-2 will feel a lot better. I think these next two weeks are crucial being at home and against a division opponent. Even in the chaos of some really bad football, teams are starting to turn it on and the Pats are still 5-2. It's still early, but ever win matters. Here's hoping our defense calms down before Oakland and the offense keeps this going.

Go Bills!

Always appreciate your efforts and detail regardless of our opinions here !

One of the things we agree on is, Bills have more work to do. Plenty of it IMO. I will consign myself to a year/season long work in progress

next couple weeks and rest of the season will keep me on edge. even if Bills get 6-2 i will never get comfortable.

Tyrod had a very slow start no doubt. Everything you pointed out was legit criticism but occurred mostly in the first half.

The coaching staff moved away from him being a pocket passer and TT moved back to being himself slowly, too in that game.

Zay Jones is simply not good right now - gonna take a while before TT trusts him at all - let alone as much as even DT already - fair or unfair, it has been established on this board as fact for TT haters and supporters alike - TT is very cautious.

Thanks for the good read.

Edited by moshermw

Always appreciate your efforts and detail regardless of our opinions here !

One of the things we agree on is, Bills have more work to do. Plenty of it IMO. I will consign myself to a year/season long work in progress

next couple weeks and rest of the season will keep me on edge. even if Bills get 6-2 i will never get comfortable.

I was your 20,000th post?! I feel honored!

Go Bills!

really nice route combination here, the CB follows Zay Jones and Thompson gets open. If the CB decides to stay with Thompson, Zay Jones is the guy open with the safety closing in. Good throw by TT by stepping up in the pocket.

Edited by Fixxxer

We are in our third year of our marriage to Tyrod, i.e., weve become fixated on his flaws and have lost sight of his good qualities.

There are only a few QBs in the league who would meet the expectations of some of the folks on this board. Would you rather have: Cousins, Newton, Smith, Flacco, Stafford, Eli, Palmer? Im not sure Id prefer any of those guys over Tyrod right now. They all have serious flaws, too.

Unless you have Brady or Rodgers, or the up and coming Wentz, Luck, Carr, or Mariota, youre not relying solely on your QB to win games and youre gameplanning around your QBs limitations.

Could Ty get the ball out quicker? Sure. But Sunday was a near-perfect game from him that featured a come from behind win in Q4, something these coaches have been waiting for him to show he can do.

I cant fathom watching that game and concluding that its time to move on. Be careful what you wish for - divorce sucks.

(That said - if they draft Baker Mayfield, Im good...)

That is the maddeningly frustrating thing with TT that one sees when they attend games (or watches the all-22)...there are open guys ALL THE TIME. There are open guys that he seems to be looking directly at quite frequently as well.

I know even the best QBs miss open guys too (thats not where pre-snap reads led them, they dont trust certain guys in certain situations, coverage collapsed when it wasn't expected)...but as a season ticket holder I have been watching these every home game for years now, and it is mind boggling.

With that said....there are steaming piles of trash all over the NFL at QB position. I like the positives that TT brings (when he uses them, or is allowed to use them) enough to continue down this road as our "Stop Gap Franchise QB" for however long that needs to be the case. IF there is a better option I am all for it...but I don't see one on this roster, and we may not next year either.

Aside from TT...great post. I too HATE the d-line rotation of the studs AT THE SAME TIME!!!!! WHY?? Rotate them, but rotate some 2's with 1's and all that...not all of them together at the same time!

A note about the end of half: it IS on McD because everything you point out is correctable with coaching in practice. In yesterday's presser McD said something like "It is ultimately on my because we havent practiced it enough, and you bet we will be doing that this week"....so I think it will be fixed.

Edited by PaattMaann

Nice post OP. I understand your frustrations with the rotation but keep in mind that Schwartz did the same thing. They rotate units and not generally individual players unless one needs out. I didn't see much of a pass rush with any unit in the 2nd half.

I was at the Falcon's game, sitting in the upper deck endzone so I got the Madden view. You're right, Taylor is late all the time and I was frustrated seeing it. He had a good game this week with big throws so no complaints. I would still like to see a more consistent moving the ball in the air down the field as opposed to relying on the big play every so often. But all in all, he made the plays when we needed him. It was a good performance.

I really hope this was just a big game for Winston and not our pass defense showing some holes. It's Carr this week...big test.

We are in our third year of our marriage to Tyrod, i.e., weve become fixated on his flaws and have lost sight of his good qualities.

There are only a few QBs in the league who would meet the expectations of some of the folks on this board. Would you rather have: Cousins, Newton, Smith, Flacco, Stafford, Eli, Palmer? Im not sure Id prefer any of those guys over Tyrod right now. They all have serious flaws, too.

Unless you have Brady or Rodgers, or the up and coming Wentz, Luck, Carr, or Mariota, youre not relying solely on your QB to win games and youre gameplanning around your QBs limitations.

Could Ty get the ball out quicker? Sure. But Sunday was a near-perfect game from him that featured a come from behind win in Q4, something these coaches have been waiting for him to show he can do.

I cant fathom watching that game and concluding that its time to move on. Be careful what you wish for - divorce sucks.

Ive said this before. I want Tyrod to be the guy. I know it could be worse. Im just saying that he looks different in person and I think he can only take us so far.

He should start until we find a better solution. But we definitely need to keep looking.

was much more fun

Go Bills!

1) If the Bills hope to play in January (and win) these guys can't be spent the rotation works.

2) The pass rush needs to be better you can't let any NFL QB have that kind of time.

3) 16-8 after a bye,yeah baby

5) Yup diamond in the rough.

6)Speed and being physical,watch him fight for his space.

7)Man was I pissed McD must have been livid.

8)The human bowling ball is a good change of pace,Taiwan is the gunner on ST they need to keep him fresh.

9)I knew he would get it fixed too much talent.

10) Tyrods best or second best game this year.

This line cannot protect a pure drop back passer his ability to scramble buys time.

Besides I would rather see a Sack than an INT and I am pretty sure McD has said that to him.

Anyone else notice that Shady isn't making the quick, stop and bounce it outside moves he has in the past. Not seeing the jock straps laying on the field anymore and I am not sure why. That was what made him great. Now it seems like there is always one or two guys waiting to tackle him. I also thought to myself that if Fred Jackson was in his prime he would be loving this offense. Just sayin.

Virgil's analysis of Taylor was very accurate and incisive. Taylor had a good game and he should be given credit for it. But his game has limitations associated with his vision and ability to process. As he aptly described his game it is a passing game found in the college game where you are passing to the open receiver as opposed to throwing the ball to the spot, a much higher level of throw. He simply can't do it.

Taylor is the best qb we have had in a long time. His game is most successful when he uses his feet and gives the running game another dimension. The issue I have with Taylor's game is that the stats that he accumulates don't include the plays that are there for him to make but doesn't because he for a variety of reasons can't.

I'm also very enamored with Mayfield. What is apparent to me when watching him play is that there is a stark qualitative difference to his passing game than Taylor's. The irony is that Mayfield the college player has more of pro style while Taylor the pro player has a more of a college style to his game.

Virgil's analysis of Taylor was very accurate and incisive. Taylor had a good game and he should be given credit for it. But his game has limitations associated with his vision and ability to process. As he aptly described his game it is a passing game found in the college game where you are passing to the open receiver as opposed to throwing the ball to the spot, a much higher level of throw. He simply can't do it.

Taylor is the best qb we have had in a long time. His game is most successful when he uses his feet and gives the running game another dimension. The issue I have with Taylor's game is that the stats that he accumulates don't include the plays that are there for him to make but doesn't because he for a variety of reasons can't.

I'm also very enamored with Mayfield. What is apparent to me when watching him play is that there is a stark qualitative difference to his passing game than Taylor's. The irony is that Mayfield the college player has more of pro style while Taylor the pro player has a more of a college style to his game.

This is flat out wrong with several instances of him doing just that this season.

This is flat out wrong with several instances of him doing just that this season.

It's not about several instances of making those more sophisticated throws than it is about doing it consistently. When you watch other more accomplished qbs who can play that type of advanced passing game it becomes apparent that there is a qualitatively difference. You might not want to acknowledge it but it is evident to most people that it is the case.

Edited by JohnC

yea I do, because it costs us serious coin either way as far as the cap goes...cant just let him go

the odds of Dareus being a post June 1st cut next year is a strong possibility.

It's not about several instances of making those more sophisticated throws than it is about doing it consistently. When you watch other more accomplished qbs who can play that type of advanced passing game it becomes apparent that there is a qualitatively difference. You might want to acknowledge it but it is evident to most people that it is the case.

right.

the odds of Dareus being a post June 1st cut next year is a strong possibility.

right.

I dont see the point in cutting him. His dead cap hit is only 3 mil less than his salary. Youll pay that to his replacement. The contract sucks and we just need to make the best of it, unless we have a trade partner who can give us talent in return.

It's not about several instances of making those more sophisticated throws than it is about doing it consistently. When you watch other more accomplished qbs who can play that type of advanced passing game it becomes apparent that there is a qualitatively difference. You might want to acknowledge it but it is evident to most people that it is the case.

Next time be more nuanced because you flatly stated "he can't do it". He has struggled in this area as we all know, but there is some progression in his game this season after stagnating in 2016.

The defenders of TT just can't seem to grasp that notion.

TT played a very good game, but there were things he still needs to do better.

Next time be more nuanced because you flatly stated "he can't do it". He has struggled in this area as we all know, but there is some progression in his game this season after stagnating in 2016.

Seroiusly?

Some progression.... Lets see it week after week and not here and there.

Christ man even Taylor said he's been bad with the deep ball.

If he can admit ti why can't his Champions?

The defenders of TT just can't seem to grasp that notion.

TT played a very good game, but there were things he still needs to do better.

Seroiusly?

Some progression.... Lets see it week after week and not here and there.

Please go back to quoting preseason stats as evidence of NFL starter readiness. You're funny trying to tell someone else how to judge a QB.

His passing game has a quality to it that is clearly evident to most observers when compared to good qbs. You make it seem as if I have condemned the qb in question to the depths of hell. Taylor is a seven year veteran qb. If you can't make a judgment on what he can or can't do at this stage then I don't know what else I can say. You may not have come to a conclusive judgment on what he is capable of but I have. You may not like my assessment but it is the consensus judgment that includes his own coaches.

His passing game has a quality to it that is clearly evident to most observers when compared to good qbs. You make it seem as if I have condemned the qb in question to the depths of hell. Taylor is a seven year veteran qb. If you can't make a judgment on what he can or can't do at this stage then I don't know what else I can say. You may not have come to a conclusive judgment on what he is capable of but I have. You may not like my assessment but it is the consensus judgment that includes his own coaches.

I'm already on record as being in favor of drafting a potential franchise QB, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge improvements in his game to give credit when and where it's due.

As he aptly described his game it is a passing game found in the college game where you are passing to the open receiver as opposed to throwing the ball to the spot, a much higher level of throw. He simply can't do it.

Here is just one example, lifted from the Zay thread:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/922814780787908608/pu/vid/640x360/aRgpnUb6lP4TWdeE.mp4

Watch where Zay is when Tyrod releases the football - he's nowhere near open. As it turned out, Zay never got himself open on that play, but the throw was anticipatory and accurate. Ty made a bunch of those throws against TB. He's doing it. He needs to process more quickly and he's too risk-averse sometimes, but the "college open" theme is starting to disintegrate.

I'm already on record as being in favor of drafting a potential franchise QB, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge improvements in his game to give credit when and where it's due.

You make it out as if I haven't been fair in acknowledging that Taylor has made improvements to his game. That is an unfair and wrong characterization. He has improved. So what! He's a seven year veteran who should improve in his weak areas, as do all players at all positions.

I want Buffalo to be a serious and contending team. My goal is not for it to be simply a fringe contending wild-card playoff team. This qb who has improved isn't the caliber of qb who can take this team where I want it to go. He's simply not good enough but at this point he's the best of what we got. Not a criticism but a fact.

You make it out as if I haven't been fair in acknowledging that Taylor has made improvements to his game. That is an unfair and wrong characterization. He has improved. So what! He's a seven year veteran who should improve in his weak areas, as do all players at all positions.

I want Buffalo to be a serious and contending team. My goal is not for it to be simply a fringe contending wild-card playoff team. This qb who has improved isn't the caliber of qb who can take this team where I want it to go. He's simply not good enough but at this point he's the best of what we got. Not a criticism but a fact.

What I know is that you posted this " As he aptly described his game it is a passing game found in the college game where you are passing to the open receiver as opposed to throwing the ball to the spot, a much higher level of throw. He simply can't do it. " It's simply not the case and that's exactly what I called you on.

Please go back to quoting preseason stats as evidence of NFL starter readiness. You're funny trying to tell someone else how to judge a QB.

touchy are you? Let it go man. You don't have to defend Taylor every time he's imperfect.

Even fellow Champions of Taylor are not exempt from ridicule by those on top of the CoT heap.

someone pissed in his Taylor O's this morning.

touchy are you? Let it go man. You don't have to defend Taylor every time he's imperfect.

It's not about being touchy and that's not what occurred. Taylor has warts as any honest broker will acknowledge. It's the irony of you trying to tell someone else about NFL quarterbacking with your history of advocating for a QB change to Peterman based upon preseason stats and rankings. It was laughable.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I have no problem with swapping out the whole DL at once. Our backups are good. DL rotations are one of the defining features of this staff's defensive philosophy, which makes perfect sense to me given how many teams we have seen recently implode in the 2nd half of games after their DL starters get tired. I do agree that we need more pressure in general from the front four. We don't seem to run very many stunts, and Hughes is the only guy with a decent chance of just beating his guy for a sack out of nowhere. I like Lawson because he's an excellent run defender, but he hasn't shown much as a pass rusher so far. Reminds me a bit of mid-career Mario.

Our heavy zone coverage scheme is always going to get carved up for yards against a competent QB with time to throw. It's not like our DBs are running to the wrong spots. The zone has gaps and the pass rush is anemic. Until that changes, we are in the business of preventing big plays, limiting YAC with good tackling, hunting for turnovers, and waiting for the offense to commit penalties or incompletions.

The Bucs are wild-card hunters just like we are. They have a good offense and a theoretically good but underperforming defense. There are plenty of teams in the league with records from 4-2 to 2-4 atm that are all about as good as eachother. We and the Bucs looked like residents of the same competitive tier, which we are.

Yep, he seems like a good late round selection so far. Good fit for what the staff wants to do.

I'm not really following how you're turning Thompson's game into a negative. Sometimes backups end up with better stats than starters, it's just the nature of the league and the probabilistic nature of the universe. Just like most people, I would be fine if they chose to get him more snaps next week.

It's 99% on the coaching staff. And by that I mean Dennison, since he calls the plays. The objectively correct call was to run a play to the end zone where the only two possibilities are TD and incompletion. The only explanation I can think of is that the coaching staff thought we had a TO remaining. I can only fault Tyrod and Matthews for not insubordinately conspiring to make sure that the play resulted in an incompletion.

Confusing thoughts. I don't think even most Tyrod supporters think he is the "QB of the future." He's just a good player doing a good job, that we might eventually replace with another guy, but we don't need to be in a rush to do that.

Even at 4-2 I'm not really putting much stock in this season. 1st year of a new staff and multiple vets traded for picks? We aren't even supposed to be good yet, so if we crash back to earth, whatever. The only thing that really matters about this year is establishing a new identity (mission accomplished), leveling up the rookies (including the coach), and self-scouting so that we can decide what to spend our treasure trove of picks on next year. The way the franchise assets are laid out, we are on an upswing targetting a peak 3-4 years from now.

It's not about being touchy and that's not what occurred. Taylor has warts as any honest broker will acknowledge. It's the irony of you trying to tell someone else about NFL quarterbacking with your history of advocating for a QB change to Peterman based upon preseason stats and rankings. It was laughable.

You hold a grudge over the dumbest things. When was the last time I mentioned Peterman? Try 8 weeks ago. LET IT GO and stop being so grouchy.

It's not about several instances of making those more sophisticated throws than it is about doing it consistently. When you watch other more accomplished qbs who can play that type of advanced passing game it becomes apparent that there is a qualitatively difference. You might not want to acknowledge it but it is evident to most people that it is the case.

OK, he's not the next Brady, but don't hold that against him. He's getting the job done and that's all that can be asked of him.

You hold a grudge over the dumbest things. When was the last time I mentioned Peterman? Try 8 weeks ago. LET IT GO and stop being so grouchy.

Grudge? Seriously? You interjected yourself into a discussion about Tyrod that didn't involve you and now you want to play victim. I'm not at all being grouchy, but I wanted to remind you of your "assessment" of the Bills' QB situation coupled with your spiel in this thread of "Defenders and Champions of Tyrod". You maintain an undercurrent of "Put Peterman In" with your thinly veiled criticisms of Tyrod. No go put your #2 Jersey on! :D

Yes seriously. thanks for the friendly reply.

As for "Champions of Tyrod" is a compliment. To Champion a cause. Look it up,

My stance was

IF Taylor STUNK up the joint we might as well put in the Rookie IF in fact we were tanking.

Now, please go back to flooding the site with the same repetitive links in half a dozen threads.

OK, he's not the next Brady, but don't hold that against him. He's getting the job done and that's all that can be asked of him.

You do know that J F H is a self proclaimed member of the CoT right?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan