Prepare to see some heavy formations on offense this week

Logic

A reporter on twitter (Sal?) mentioned that Seantrel Henderson was lined up to the left of Cordy Glenn on a few plays.

I believe that -- after some self evaluation during the bye week, in which the coaching staff realized both the success of last year's unbalanced lines and the current dearth of healthy Bills receivers -- the Bills will try to get the running game on track agains the Bucs using 22 and 13 personnel and some extra tackle Jumbo formations.

Cover 1 recently tweeted a link to Jim Schwartz talking about how difficult it is to defend against 22 and 13 personnel, how hard it is to keep gap integrity. Given the vulnerability in run defense that the Buccaneers present and the lack of #85 and #87 on the field, I expect the ol' ground 'n' pound this week.

Shady tops 100 yards rushing for the first time since week 1. Bank it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodak reported this too:

LeSean McCoy said Wednesday that Bills coaches used the bye week to re-tool their run-game playbook. "Just get to things that we do that we're more successful in, that the line is familiar with, comfortable with," he said. "Something that's been working for so long [before 2017], stick with it. The coaches know that. Also they have their own schemes that they want to do."

Seems like Rico isn't as stupid as we thought. I'm pretty excited to see if things are fixed.

I'm really hoping they took the week to adjust scheme and give our offense at least a chance of making some plays. That would be incredibly encouraging.

...sure would be....scheme adaptability versus rigidity to better fit players' strengths goes a helluva lot further IMO....pretty elementary............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If they do and are successful, that should boost everyone's confidence in the coaching staff.

...isn't the willingness and ability to adjust a Belichick hallmark?.....Moolarky I believe set a club record for scoring on opening drives....but, when it came to 2nd half adjustments, he failed......if memory serves me, Spent Trent Edwards dominated the Patsies in the first half of a game like Grant took Richmond.......Belichick as usual adjusted at half time and Bflo logged the "L".........

Extra linemen mean extra LBs and a crowded line of scrimmage....not easy to run when all 22 players are bunched together.....easier to run from spread formation

Every opponent we've faced the last two years has crowded the line. But they couldn't stop it. Why change that?

Extra linemen mean extra LBs and a crowded line of scrimmage....not easy to run when all 22 players are bunched together.....easier to run from spread formation

this is my concern as well. if those big bodies can crash down and open o hole, that's great. but if they are all jammed up tight in the middle, then we will be watching shady try to barrel through the @$$ of the guy in front of him. but hey...i could be wrong.

This week will tell us nothing. We'll see how it plays out in the long term, but putting up big numbers against one of the worst defenses in the NFL isn't that impressive

Agree but we gotta start somewhere. A big week might actually get the Oline cranking here out.

Every opponent we've faced the last two years has crowded the line. But they couldn't stop it. Why change that?

But we didn't crowd the line.....big difference....Spread Clay out wide or in slot...Sammy and Woods split wide....Woods and Clay good blockers as well

Regardless of retooling the running game, we still have to take some shots downfield to at least make an attempt to back off opposing defense from the line of scrimmage.

Bucs are getting healthy on defense and getting some key guys back this week so their 31st ranked may not be so terrible this week.

A reporter on twitter (Sal?) mentioned that Seantrel Henderson was lined up to the left of Cordy Glenn on a few plays.

I believe that -- after some self evaluation during the bye week, in which the coaching staff realized both the success of last year's unbalanced lines and the current dearth of healthy Bills receivers -- the Bills will try to get the running game on track agains the Bucs using 22 and 13 personnel and some extra tackle Jumbo formations.

Cover 1 recently tweeted a link to Jim Schwartz talking about how difficult it is to defend against 22 and 13 personnel, how hard it is to keep gap integrity. Given the vulnerability in run defense that the Buccaneers present and the lack of #85 and #87 on the field, I expect the ol' ground 'n' pound this week.

Shady tops 100 yards rushing for the first time since week 1. Bank it.

The old unbalanced line...perhaps something out of Greg Roman's/Anthony Lynn's playbook from last year?